• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How often and what technique do you use?

Efa Efa

Active Member
I clean my main audio and AV systems once a week every Saturday morning:thmbsp:. I am listing the steps and techniques I use to clean (mind you it is strictly outside/cosmetic):

1) Dust all components (body and face with a dust cloth (cloth is specific for dusting).

2.) Clean glass on face of component with moist paper towel.

3.) Spray all components (face and body) with air can (for computers)

I also treat the rear(s) (inputs ,cables and speaker wires) of all components.

How often and what technique do you use?

Just Curious:scratch2:,

Efa:smoke:
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, it was many years ago. She was young and hot, so was I, we met...............what were we talking about? oh sorry, wrong thread.
 
Dude that's some OCD you got going there.

I dust my system when it's dusty and blow the guts out of everything about twice a year.
 
I guess that is the anal side of me. I am a financial accountant and details are important to me!

Just my two cents

Efa
 
I wipe it down with a little Endust if I expect someone to drop by. Which means twice a year.:D
 
Be aware that many of the "glass windows" on some units are not actually glass and can be scratched over time by using paper towels. You might consider buying a small shop vac just for dusting equipment. It will pull dust out of places you can't get with a rag. Blowing compressed air can actually drive dust INTO switches. For wiping off I use the micro fiber cloths sold in the auto cleaning dept. for car detainling. They will NOT scratch you equipment. The most important cleaning is the contact sufaces of all those stupid RCA plugs. Deoxit can make a huge difference if used regularly and properly, as in you only need a little bit. Most people would be amazed to see all the crap that can grow on plugs and jacks. Crap equals resistance.
 
Last edited:
Either your house is really dusty or you have OCD as mentioned earlier, my system gets cleaned when it needs it maybe once a month with a swifter for dusting tops and sides, some MILD glass cleaner for face plates and I also pull the filter on Projector and clean the lense, finsih with Magic Eraser and lLAST on my cart and enjoy. Sometimes it doesnt need it and I do it anyway, sometimes I ignore it for a week. We have water heat and I think thats why there isnt much dust at all.
 
I open them up and blow out the dust and clean the pots when I get them. They have to be nasty to the touch to get cleaned when I get them. Other than that they just get used in the condition I found them in.
 
I clean things when dragging a finger leaves a clean path through the dust. Removal is by synthetic feather duster.
Tom
 
every few months on the pots....but i find that the ones i sprayed with deoxit are still good. i dust when it getts too bad. but i use a fan with a air filter taped to it to help control the dust problem. we have water heat as well.
 
Back
Top Bottom