• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How often do you clean your connections?

I clean old gear when I get it and I am so bloody glad I don't have a horse.
Having a scooting dog is bad enough!:yuck:
 
I don't clean my connections. Can anyone comment on the issue of why it is a good idea?

I presume we are talking about gold contacts that were clean when installed. What happens to them that requires cleaning?
 
I find myself changing stuff often enough that the connectors aren't sitting there untouched for too long.
 
I don't clean my connections. Can anyone comment on the issue of why it is a good idea?

I presume we are talking about gold contacts that were clean when installed. What happens to them that requires cleaning?

Not just gold ones need cleaning. The chrome or nickel plated type, or garden variety for that matter, get dull and oxidized and this inhibits the signal due to higher resistance. And such. So technically, cleaning is a good thing.
Tom
 
What gets cleaned when greatly depends on what it is and where it is located. Some of my gear is out where it can be dusted and it gets that done every few days. Maybe once every couple of years things get pulled out and the dust blown out, though I can't say I have a single piece that's been in one place that long at the moment. I have certain components that require cleaning much more often than others, ie. rotator selectors on my Yamaha CA-1010 which need to be done every few months to keep from losing connection. I had the same problem on an old CA-410 years ago, so it must just be something in the design. Most other switches have remained quiet for very long periods and so I leave them alone pretty much.
 
Back
Top Bottom