• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to get a vintage Nakamichi OMS-7 working again

repair_guy

Active Member
I got this cd player for free, on repair from a closed repair shop. I've gone through it and fixed the main things, belts, cleaning, bad voltage regulator ic, but it still won't work. It spins the cd for a few seconds then spits it out. I connected the rf test point to a scope and all I see is noise and it doesn't even attempt to focus the laser lens. I am a full time tech myself and have gone through many of the parts and they all test fine, even the electrolytics test great on my capacitor analyser, this thing must've been kept in air conditioning it's whole life.

I have the service manual for it, but digital circuits are not my thing. Do you guys think the voltage regulator might have killed the main ics when it blew, if that's the case then it's a lost cause. Is there anything that usually goes bad on these 1983 nakamichi players.



Thanks,
Keith
 
Register to hide this ad
Pick up a optical power meter like a Sanwa LPM-5673. It will give you a good idea if your laser still has enough power.
 
Back
Top Bottom