• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to replace tone arm rest on LAB-500 turntable?

n.phelge

New Member
I picked up a used Realistic LAB-500 turntable, but the tonearm rest clip is broken. The lower half is still present, so I can rest the tonearm, but I would like to have some way to secure it to prevent damage when (not if) I bump the tonearm. Any advice on how to replace it or suggestions on alternatives? The tonearm rest has a long pole and doesn't appear to match others such as the Technics 1200.

Thanks in advance
 
Register to hide this ad
I picked up a used Realistic LAB-500 turntable, but the tonearm rest clip is broken. The lower half is still present, so I can rest the tonearm, but I would like to have some way to secure it to prevent damage when (not if) I bump the tonearm. Any advice on how to replace it or suggestions on alternatives? The tonearm rest has a long pole and doesn't appear to match others such as the Technics 1200.

Thanks in advance

Your best bet is probably Ebay, although it may be a long wait until one shows up.

Jon
 
Given that it would be an usual thing to find on eBay or anywhere else, I would try making something. I have fabricated a few parts from other stuff, like this pen cap repair. This was not the prettiest thing I have made but it worked.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=550568

What do you have left? Is it just a metal post or is there a plastic top?
 
Given that it would be an usual thing to find on eBay or anywhere else, I would try making something. I have fabricated a few parts from other stuff, like this pen cap repair. This was not the prettiest thing I have made but it worked.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=550568

What do you have left? Is it just a metal post or is there a plastic top?

The post remains, as does part of the hinged clip. The slip swings over, but there is just enough left to rest on the top of the tonearm - not enough to hold it in place.
 
One of my LAB-500s is missing the clip from the post. I never tried to fix it, I just close the stylus guard for protection and tie the arm to the rest with a wire tie if I need to move the table. I just studied it a bit to see what might be done to repair it and i think I could fabricate a new clip out of a stiff wire, like a paper clip (perhaps a black coated one). Have you tried to do anything like that?
 
Back
Top Bottom