• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How to setup speakers to a TV when the TV is already connected to a sound bar

BostonBud

New Member
Hello,
Friends of mine have a TV and sound bar setup.
TV - Samsung QN75Q70RAFXZA
Soundbar - Samsung - HW-Q60R/ZA
The soundbar is connected to the TV via the optical digital audio cable.
They are moving this to a new house where speakers (Bose 161 WH) are mounted to the wall on the other side of the large room. The speakers have 14 gauge audio wire running to the rear of the TV. They'd like to use those speakers as supplemental speakers -- like a Channel B, and not as part of a surround sound system. Both speakers are routed through a volume control knob located in the wall near the speakers.
Question: How do I hook up the Bose speakers to the TV? The TV's digital audio is taken up with the sound bar. The TV has an HDMI audio output. Can I get a converter from HDMI to twisted pair wiring? Can that signal drive the speakers? I can hook the sound bar to the TV via the HDMI Sound cable, leaving the Optical digital audio free if that's a better path to pursue.
Thanks for looking at this.
 
Register to hide this ad
Get some sorta receiver/amplifier, and either ditch the sound bar or just use it for the TV. I’m not sure if you can do both at the same time, though, but it’ll make for a nice little in-wall music system at least. Or you could ditch the sound bar for a nice pair of bookshelves or floorstanders and turn it into a surround/multi-zone setup?
 
Samsung QN75Q70RAFXZA
Your TV has a head phone 3.5 mini jack just below the ethernet hookup.
So you need to use one of these and you should have something like it with your TV hookup kit.
download.jpg


(Bose 161 WH)

The speakers need a integrated amp at least to control them. Do you have an AVR, or some kind of surround sound equipment? The mini jack plugs into the TV>>The RCAs plug into an Amp/Receiver >>>Speakers hook up to the amps speaker terminals.
 
Thanks for the reply's. I decided on trying the following two things:
1) iNKFOR Digital Optical Audio 1x3 Splitter Digital SPDIF Toslink Optical Fiber Audio Splitter 1 in 3 Out Aluminum Alloy with Optical Cable for PS3 Xbox Blue-Ray DVD HDTV.
2) Sabaj Small Desktop Stereo Audio Digital Amplifier AMP with Bluetooth USB Optical Input Black Silver.
It's all short distance (3' cables) so I'm hoping that splitting the digital audio won't be a problem. I'll have a small amp to support the speakers on the other side of the large room.
I'll know in a week when all this stuff arrives and can be hooked up.
 
Back
Top Bottom