• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

How To Splice A Tape

Des_Lab

Active Member
Banned
Since it has come up recently and a lot of folks here aren't too sure how to do it, I have constructed this thread to explain step by step how to splice a tape. This exercise is primarily geared towards those of you who want to take two 7" reels and combine them to make a full 10" tape. For those of you who want to do edits to existing recordings or attach leaders, similar techniques apply but with some minor differences. In the case of edits, that's a bit more complex to do than a forum post that only allows 15 hotlinked pictures will allow. In any event, as long as you can master the fundamentals here, it isn't all that much more challenging.

For this demonstration, because I currently don't have two 7" reels that I'm ready to combine, I simply snipped off about 4" of an old Ampex tape I have laying around. But to explain this procedure, it will suffice. The process is identical regardless of tape length.

Ready?

First, here is what you will need to successfully perform this task. First, obviously are two tapes that you wish to combine. Lay out the two ends on opposite sides of where you are working.

Next, you will need a splicing block. For this demonstration, I used an "all in one" unit. It has a cradle for laying the tape ends in, two clamps to hold the tape in place, a rocker arm (marked "cut" and "trim") that controls a total of three razor blades. One is to make a 45 degree cut and the other two are to trim excess splicing tape. Both functions will be explained here shortly. I strongly recommend obtaining one of these types of blocks as they are not only infinitely easier to use for beginners, but easier to use overall than traditional "pro" open face blocks. They are usually cheaper too. Next, you will need a pair of scissors (to cut a section of splicing tape to use) and a cotton tipped swab. The swab will be explained below.

Splice_Tools.JPG

Splice_Block_Blades.JPG


First and foremost, it is important to know where to actually perform the splice; ergo where does the splicing tape go?

It goes on the BACK side of the tape. On back coated tapes (such as the Maxell XLI and Quantegy 457), it's easy to make this determination. The "back" side of the tape will be somewhat coarse in texture and be a dark charcoal gray or black in color. The "front" or 'play' side will be a shade of brown resembling that of a milk chocolate candy bar and much more smooth and polished in appearance. If you are using a non-back coated tape where both sides are the same color, then you will need to unspool a foot or two of tape. The side facing to (or closest) to the reel is the PLAY side. The part facing out away from the reel is the "back" side.

Splice_Tape_Sides.JPG


The first step will be to place the two ends of the tape onto the cradle of the splicing block. You want to first cut the ends to a 45 degree angle so that you can line them up for a perfect splice. You can perform this step with the scissors, but I don't recommend it as the ends might not end up in exact identical angle shapes.

Place the two ends of the tape into the cradle. Overlap the ends by about 1" or so on either side. Then put down the clamps to hold them in place. Position the rocker arm away from you into the "CUT" position. Then press the arm down into the tape firmly but not too hard until you feel and hear the slight "crunch" of the blades cutting the tape. Press down too lightly and you may not cut both layers. Press too hard and you could wrinkle the tape.

Splice_Tape_Ends.JPG


Splice_Ends_Clamped.JPG


Splice_Cut_Tape_ends.JPG


Now, lift up the rocker arm, brush away the two scrap ends and you are ready to align the actual tapes for splicing.

Splice_Clean_Tape_Ends.JPG


Next you are ready to align the tapes. Align the two 45 degree ends to where they just meet and barely touch. It can be a bit of a grunt job to make sure they neither overlap nor have any space between them. This is probably the most critical step in the entire process: Overlapping tape will mean a high spot in the tape pack and will, over time deform adjacent layers resulting in a "bump" or dropout on subsequent playback on that point of the pack. Leaving a gap will leave exposed splicing tape that will not only create a sticky spot at the splice, but also, over time, the adhesive will work its way into adjacent layers as well. Likewise, this residue can also get deposited on your heads and guide pins and end up distributed into any other point of the the tape. Or worse...end up in ANOTHER tape if not cleaned off.

Splice_Ends_LinedUp.JPG


Now that you have your tape ends lined up and ready to splice, it's time to break out the splicing tape. Again let me reiterate. Use *ONLY* tape marketed as splicing. There are no substitutes here (not if you want a tape to last anyway). That means no Scotch tape, electric tape, duct tape, or masking tape.

Although there is quarter inch wide splicing tape available out there, I don't like to use it. I prefer to use half inch (1/2") tape for these (which are quarter inch tapes). If using 1/4" splicing tape, it has to be lined up exactly straight and flush on the surface of the recording tape. Any degree of error and you are going to be short on one side and over on the other. I'll show you why I prefer using the size I do.

Next, unspool about an inch or two of splicing tape. Cut it off the master roll with the scissors (it's next to impossible to cleanly tear it by hand). And make sure that you do NOT touch the middle section of it. This is what is going to go on the actual tapes and hold them together. Fingerprint oil or other contaminants will compromise your splice and it could eventually get loose or fail altogether.

Splice_SplicingTape.JPG


Next, you want to apply the splicing tape across the tape. As you will see in the picture, it's a lot easier to do this when you can lay the tape across at a 90 degree angle versus having to match it exactly dead on. You want to try and center it across the 45 degree cut as much as possible. Also try and lay it as straight as possible. Unlike with quarter inch splicing tape, any degree of error isn't as important here short of doing an absurdly sloppy job. And also be sure that the section of splicing tape that goes onto the oxide tape is the part that you did not touch with your fingers when you cut it. Lay it across.

Splice_Apply_SpliceTape.JPG


Now here is where the cotton swab comes into play. Because you don't want to touch the splicing tape or the recording tape-particularly at the point of the splice, and no matter how good you think you are, you are not going to get the splicing tape to adhere as good as possible. So, using the cotton swab, press down on the splicing tape until it is firmly adhered, also making sure to 'iron out' any possible air bubbles that might get trapped in there.

Spice_Smooth_Swab.JPG


Now you are ready to trim and finish your splice.

Splice_Ready_To_Trim.JPG


Now, slide your rocker arm back towards you into the "trim" position. Press it down again exactly like last time when you did your "cut". Do it and lift the rocker arm.

Splice_Trim_Excess.JPG


And vòila! You are finished and have completed your splice.

Splice_Finished.JPG


And this is another reason why you don't need to splice "both sides" of the tape. Done right, the cut will be barely noticeable and you'll be able to record right across it. Here is a view of the "front" side of the completed splice.

Splice_Record_Side.JPG


And that's pretty much all there is to it. You can now load your second tape onto the big reel and be ready to roll. Attaching leader tape is pretty much the same procedure. But unlike when attaching two tape ends, when splicing on a a leader tape, then I WOULD recommend attaching splicing tape to both physical sides of the tape. But no second 45 degree cut will be necessary.

Hope some of you find this little tutorial helpful. If there is any aspect of splicing (besides editing an existing recording) that I haven't touched on, either myself or another AK'er would be glad to help.

For another related "how to" thread, please also see "How To Load A Pancake" posted a few weeks back.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=147156

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-The kindest cut
 
Register to hide this ad
Thank you for the VERY informative post, Des_lab!

Couple of questions. Where do I get a splicing block, and splicing tape?

Does this work with Cassettes, too? I have had a LOT of my C-120's break, and I am not worried about the momentary skip in music, if it will make them playable again.
 
Question: where do you still get tape splicing gear? I haven't seen any in a long long time.

Double time posted with VD's .... very cool.
 
Yes.. it works with cassettes.. I used to splice them all the time to edit them.. I used to make some pretty wild tapes years ago..
 
I recommend obtaining the splicing tape through the folks at USR. Here's a link direct to the same splicing tape I used for this demo.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/noname.html

As for one of those blocks, for the record, I can only suggest "the bay". Try searching for "splicing blocks". One ought to turn up.

As for cassettes, I suppose in theory it would work. I've heard about, but never personally seen similar splicing blocks and kits for cassettes. In any event, splicing a cassette would be a very delicate and precarious task regardless of how well equipped you are to do it. Frankly, I would suggest simply using some splicing tape and scissors to do an emergency splice and immediately dub it onto a safe media in a case like that. Especially for a C-120 tape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-See One Twenty (shades of red)
 
I had a block that was made just for cassettes. .not sure if they still make them or not.. biggest issues was learning how to stop the tape exactly where you wanted the splice to be and knowing where to cut it.. with time I could almost hit a beat exact..
 
I recommend obtaining the splicing tape through the folks at USR. Here's a link direct to the same splicing tape I used for this demo.

http://www.usrecordingmedia.com/noname.html

As for one of those blocks, for the record, I can only suggest "the bay". Try searching for "splicing blocks". One ought to turn up.

As for cassettes, I suppose in theory it would work. I've heard about, but never personally seen similar splicing blocks and kits for cassettes. In any event, splicing a cassette would be a very delicate and precarious task regardless of how well equipped you are to do it. Frankly, I would suggest simply using some splicing tape and scissors to do an emergency splice and immediately dub it onto a safe media in a case like that. Especially for a C-120 tape.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-See One Twenty (shades of red)

That's what I have been doing.....usually just the songs I want off to another (C-90 or -60) cassette, or one time, to a reel.
 
DL -- I love your DIY posts, even for stuff I already know. It's a great idea and carried off very well. Wish I had thought of them and started the "series". Might I suggest one improvement though? With each one of yours, I print them off using PDFCreator to archive them, but when they spill to 2 pages or so it gets problematic. Might you create a PDF and attach them at the end of the post so people can keep them as a reference for times that they may not be on-line? In any event, THANKS!!!
 
Des,

Can you tell us what brand of spliceing block that is ? I like it a lot. l currently I use a Ampex aluminum block and you are correct, it is hard to use and you have to line up the 1/4 inch spliceing tape perfectly or it does not work well.
 
An interesting and highly unconventionsl approach using super-wide spicing tape at 90 degrees like that. I sure never learned to do it in this way. :no: But I use a razor and a block to do all of my splicing, and one must follow the traditional methods to splice when using these tools.
 
It works doesn't it? Probably a lot easier than some "conventional" methods.

As for the block? I dunno what brand it is. All I know is that I had two of them and then just bought a box of ten more for ten bucks apiece. All appear to be unused. Hooked up several of my taping buddies with one but still have a few extras now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-Does that count as a score?
 
It works doesn't it? Probably a lot easier than some "conventional" methods.
I'm not criticising. Your method is innovative, and looks very effective as long you use one of those little machines. :yes: It simply is potentially miseleading to somebody who might try to splice in a similar manner using just a block and a razor, which contains no "trimming" device.

But I must applaud another excellent post there Des! Good work!
 
Thanks. Wasn't trying to be "innovative" per se. I just use the method that I find to be the most practical. And yes, for anyone who ever needs to do splicing, those little splicing blocks are invaluable. Can't imagine anyone being without one.:thmbsp:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
DL-But nobody is buying them
 
Excellent post Des Lab! Thanks for taking time to make these kind of posts for us old newbies. I have come back to the tape world in the last couple of years and it took a while to remember how to do this after a 20 year absence. I like your idea with the 1/2" adhesive tape. This brings me to a technical question. While attaching leaders I have been using 1/4" adhesive tape and applying it along the 45 degree cut angle to get it evenly attached. Is it better to apply the adhesive tape perpendicular to the magnetic tape? I haven't had any failures yet but if I should change this technique I will do so with my next splice. Thanks for your time and sharing your experience.

Next I would like to request a refresher course on tape bias adjustments. I have forgotten what I used to know about that and now I have a working deck and an accumulation of a couple makes of tapes I'm ready for class!
 
Heh Heh. WOW man. That little machine is nutz. I remember my dad showing me how to splice a tape when i was a kid. 2 reels on the machine with a break in the middle. He pulled out enough tape, and laid it on his wooden stereo stand. cut both ends off straight then taped em back together with splice tape by hand. Far different from your method Des.
 
I read the post twice. Really good, to show some simple things that tend to be forgotten, especially for newcomers in this sort of trick of trades.

Makes me wonder why aren't all the splicing blocks built like that.

I had do do some splicing recently, removing old splices from vintage tapes I wanted to salvage. They were made in a studio, but by their looks they weren't anyway professional.

I have the standard Revox cutters that are on the decks that actually "tell" you to cut the tape in 45 degrees from the axis, and I also got a vintage nice splicer that was bolted on the head cover of an A77. That one had arms that would hold the tape once cut to be spliced with tape. But no trimmer. I had to learn to cut the edges of the tape with scissors. I can do that adequatelly, but my only problem is grease from the hands getting transfered to the tape when I handle it to cut the edges.

I know that a solution is to wear latex gloves, but it's too much hassle to get them on and off every time. Alternativelly, I found that treating the tape with a swab dipped in alcohol removes almost all of the grease.

Wonder if it removes too much of the tape oxides though.

Interesting point about not using scotch tape. I DID use scotch tape some 30 years ago when I repaired cassette tapes. I now have to open them, cut the tape around the splice, and resplice them, in the correct way.
 
Great post Des Lab!
Been using the same set up as yours for the past 25 years.
Here's some pics of R2R and cassette splicers.

R2R on left, cassteet on right. Both Akai made.

Ron
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom