• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HPM 60 goodwill score

notas

Member
50 bucks at goodwill, and they're perfect. Not a single dust cap pushed in. Tested them before i bought them, everything works. There was some mildew, but it came right off, except for some small discolorations where the cone meets the surround on one woofer. Hopefully that won't deteriorate. The veneer has no real chipped corners and very few scratches. For speakers nearly 40 years old, fresh out of someone's basement, they're mint.

I more or less knew what to expect for sound because my girlfriend has their big brother, the HPM 100 (she keeps saying we're an HPM power couple now :D). I've always found the 100s to be too harsh and a bit fake sounding, albeit clear and powerful with bass to die for. The 60s sound pretty much the same, but... Now that I own them, I'm kind of smitten :rflmao:It seems to me that where my other speakers have 'flaws,' the HPMs just have 'decisions.' I don't think I ever properly heard rock music before, and even on everything else my other speakers just seem too tame in comparison. Plus I feel like I own a real collector's item! I'm a bit giddy.

My only problem now is that I may need to think about thinning the herd... I've got VL modded Optimus 5bs, Avid 102s, ADS L620s, Polk monitor 10bs, HH scott s17s, DCM time frames, and now these... :idea:
 

Attachments

  • hpm 60.png
    hpm 60.png
    376.9 KB · Views: 233
Register to hide this ad
Congratulations! And, just because you bring home a pair of speakers doesn't mean you have to toss a pair out into the snow. Just get that nasty thought right out of your skull. Go listen and have fun!

Biggles
 
Unbelievable. I can't find any decent pair of speakers anywhere near me for under $250, and you're grabbing cherry HPM's out of the Goodwill.

Congrats though, that's an amazing find.
 
Thanks everyone, and thanks for the reassurance biggles :)

I couldn't believe it myself, I guess when you search long enough good deals eventually come! Audio 'karma,' you might say...
 
Okay, I need help. One of the midranges is rather temperamental and needs to be replaced. I've been able to determine that contrary to what eBay wants me to believe, the HPM 100 and HPM 60 midranges are not the same. But does anyone know what the difference is between the 10-726A-1 (what my speakers have) and the 10-726B-1?
 
Careful, by temperamental do you mean it cuts in and out? I sold a set of 60s a couple months ago, and although I did not have that problem, I seem to recall there were two different controls to adjust tweeter and mid-range? You may want to open up the problem one and see if you can use some deoxit on the control, and hopefully clean up how it works.

Those type of controls many times need cleaning or rebuilding. Good example is the AR4X speakers ...everyone rebuilds or replaces the control, or bypasses it :)

And your right, the HPM series does produce some serious bottom, albeit a touch too heavy for me, but to each their own!!

Note: if you go up a notch here on AK, and become a subscriber, you can post a WTB for things in the BT forums, then you'll get what you need from another AKer who at least offers the correct parts!
 
Careful, by temperamental do you mean it cuts in and out? I sold a set of 60s a couple months ago, and although I did not have that problem, I seem to recall there were two different controls to adjust tweeter and mid-range? You may want to open up the problem one and see if you can use some deoxit on the control, and hopefully clean up how it works.

Those type of controls many times need cleaning or rebuilding. Good example is the AR4X speakers ...everyone rebuilds or replaces the control, or bypasses it :)

And your right, the HPM series does produce some serious bottom, albeit a touch too heavy for me, but to each their own!!

Note: if you go up a notch here on AK, and become a subscriber, you can post a WTB for things in the BT forums, then you'll get what you need from another AKer who at least offers the correct parts!

I pulled the 'bad' driver and put it in the other cabinet, the problem followed the driver. It's a harsh ringing distortion on certain notes. The controls are definitely a tad dirty, and i may get into them with deoxit, but they are not the problem here.

Good to know about the WTB!
 
are these from the goodwill in kingston,NY? I saw them there a couple weeks back and passed on them...that's a great to search for gear.
 
Yeah. Here's how far I got with them. Decided they were too close in nature to what I already have. Bummer about that one driver being shot. I've got a couple other JBL's here in the same boat.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-hpm-60-vs-jbl.692435/

Yea, I've read a lot about their similarities to the JBLs - same aggressive 'west coast sound,' apparently. For me it was a no brainer because I didn't own anything like them personally (if we don't count the gf's HPMs) and because I lined up a friend who would take them off my hands if I didn't like them.

Can't be too mad about the driver, since everything else works and they really did clean up nice. Still hoping someone knows something about whether I can use the 10-726B-1 to replace the 10-726A-1.
 
I would have bought them if they were still there when it became their turn for half price. I can't help with that driver info though. Did you see that technics receiver that was there this last week? I wasn't sure what model it was but it looked good. I went for it yesterday and it was already gone....perhaps into your hands!
 
I would have bought them if they were still there when it became their turn for half price. I can't help with that driver info though. Did you see that technics receiver that was there this last week? I wasn't sure what model it was but it looked good. I went for it yesterday and it was already gone....perhaps into your hands!

I did see it, and tested it. Powered on, but could only get sound out of one channel, and only after bypassing the fuses. Also needed new bulbs. Decided I had enough broken receivers and left it for someone else. If you didn't look too hard it may still be there, I noticed that it had moved from the back of the store to the place where the rest of the audio stuff usually is, but kind of out of sight.
 
Congratulations on picking up the 60's. You should have no problem using the 10-726B-1 to replace the 10-726A-1, just the next generation after your original. If you are worried about mixing them just look for a pair and sell your good midrange or keep it as a spare, don't forget to replace the capacitors in the crossover's also, and good luck getting them running properly.
 
Congratulations on picking up the 60's. You should have no problem using the 10-726B-1 to replace the 10-726A-1, just the next generation after your original. If you are worried about mixing them just look for a pair and sell your good midrange or keep it as a spare, don't forget to replace the capacitors in the crossover's also, and good luck getting them running properly.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I went ahead and ordered a 10-726B-1.

I'll get to the capacitors eventually. I've read some stuff on here about modifying the crossover to create a more balanced speaker out of the HPM-100, but it's all seemed rather expensive and I've been conflicted about the tradeoff of originality for improvement. Still, it might be tempting to do something similar to these. Or perhaps do the 100s and recap these with the original values. Or vice versa... :idea:
 
Back
Top Bottom