• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I’m in one of those positions all of us face, what do I do?

Its funny on the Mcintosh forum, there's often a person saying, " I have this and that and was thinking of getting (?) ." Then the hord of enablers says absolutely. I count nobody else's money. Before I retired I was at a point where if a great deal on a piece of gear ( i was at least considering) came across my path, I might ponder something like this. I suspect most of us have more gear than we can reasonably use. To the OP , all I'd say is, I probably wouldn't ( that is in fact just me). The fact that you have to ask the question leads me to believe this might be a stretch ( that's clearly an uneducated guess on my part). Do what you think is right . I tend to doubt, not knowing your financial situation anyone here has a clue how to advise you. Whatever you decide is the right answer.
 
Its funny on the Mcintosh forum, there's often a person saying, " I have this and that and was thinking of getting (?) ." Then the hord of enablers says absolutely. I count nobody else's money. Before I retired I was at a point where if a great deal on a piece of gear ( i was at least considering) came across my path, I might ponder something like this. I suspect most of us have more gear than we can reasonably use. To the OP , all I'd say is, I probably wouldn't ( that is in fact just me). The fact that you have to ask the question leads me to believe this might be a stretch ( that's clearly an uneducated guess on my part). Do what you think is right . I tend to doubt, not knowing your financial situation anyone here has a clue how to advise you. Whatever you decide is the right answer.
I keep a stash of cash (not a huge amount) at home to use only if/when I see a screaming good deal locally on CL or marketplace. Every once in a while someone just wants to get rid of something fast for whatever reason, but you have to move fast before the flippers see it. Anything more than my cash stash warrants a second thought / chat with the wife.
 
I've bought and sold audio gear for the better part of the millenium and advise to buy it. If you are a flipper, you can always sell it for a profit, so there's no downside as you seem to be getting a great deal on it. Check closed online sales to see if that is true, or at least high enough that your loss is not a deal breaker.

You situation is one I've found myself in many, many times as I find new items I like and have to wring my hands over what the keeper is and what gets sold. As a caveat, I do tend to hang onto the less common items as I know that I can often always replace more common items. I also tend to sell off items that command higher prices if they don't sound proportionally better too.

Give it a shot and make you call after you've listened to it in you room.
 
Save a ton of money and buy a set of new /better tubes for your Freya+ and have fun tube rolling (I currently have a quad of the new Psvane Summit 6SN7 that do wonders for the sound)
109_4913.jpg
 
Save a ton of money and buy a set of new /better tubes for your Freya+ and have fun tube rolling (I currently have a quad of the new Psvane Summit 6SN7 that do wonders for the sound)
View attachment 3837396
I’ve been there done that, lol. Two rolling is fun but gets addictive and expensive. I settled on these:

APOS Ray select 6SN7 tubes buffer stage

Sylvania JAN 6SN7GT Tubes MATCHED 3 Hole Bad Boy Amplitrex 6SN7WGTA gain stage
 
I’ve been there done that, lol. Two rolling is fun but gets addictive and expensive. I settled on these:

APOS Ray select 6SN7 tubes buffer stage

Sylvania JAN 6SN7GT Tubes MATCHED 3 Hole Bad Boy Amplitrex 6SN7WGTA gain stage
Those Ray's are excellent tubes - I have two quads of the Selects, one of which is currently in my bedroom system. I found all three of my Freya's sound better with a quad of matching tubes rather than a mixture. These Psvane coated CV181 T-II (6SN7) tubes are also great, they have a nice mellow "tubey" sound:
CV181-T II  003.jpg109_3879.JPG
 
My somewhat compromised hearing ensures that I dont dump large sums of $$ into audio gear, with exception of a recently restored yamaha receiver of the medium- large variety acquired via BT earlier this year which replaced the cr-820 after it finally went tits-up.
 
If I buy anything now and want to audition it, I need to be able to return it, or in this case absolutely 100% be able to liquidate it. I don’t mind a little friction and 10 to 20% to see if I find it interesting and keep it or not. Rolling tubes in a Freya could be interesting but it will still be a Freya which is more my tier. It all sounds a bit complicated for a hobby.
 
Unless you can realistically sell other equipment (or other unused assets) to significantly offset the expenditure I'd say it's a pass.
I'm guessing any potential improvement in sound will be marginal anyway.
 
Everyone seems more concerned with the OP's budget and if he can flip it. I would be more interested in making a major upgrade in the sound of my system, the money spent is long forgotten but every time he flips that switch the great sound will be there.
 
Everyone seems more concerned with the OP's budget and if he can flip it. I would be more interested in making a major upgrade in the sound of my system, the money spent is long forgotten but every time he flips that switch the great sound will be there.
That depends on the rest of the system... a great preamp with a mediocre amp or speakers will still sound mediocre. I'm not saying the OP has mediocre equipment (I don't know what he has), just saying the equipment should all be of the same caliber.
 
Back
Top Bottom