• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I’ve inherited a pair of JBL L300’s…

boydc777

New Member
These were used by my father for his home audio system - mainly for vinyl and our cinema setup. They’ve now been collecting dust for about 3 yrs.

I have a pair of JBL LX8’s for my own setup, but should I switch them out and keep these instead? How remiss would I be to sell the L300s?
We sorta need the cash but I understand how incredible they are. I remember them sounding great.

Bit of work to do to clean them up, would remove the grill cloth etc.

Let me know! Are you a fan of these?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_9194.jpeg
    IMG_9194.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9192.jpeg
    IMG_9192.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_9193.jpeg
    IMG_9193.jpeg
    245.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9191.jpeg
    IMG_9191.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_9190.jpeg
    IMG_9190.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 102
Register to hide this ad
Those are not L300s - they look like L300 components in nice custom cabinets.

I assume you don't mean the LX8 crossover used with different components (LE14 and LE20) but rather the 90s tower speaker?

I would imagine I'd prefer to listen to those diy L300s than the LX8 speakers, but you could listen to them both and decide which you like better...
 
Not L-300's. unless you can show better pics in and outside
Where are the "Orig X-overs "and foilcals with the serial #'s?
But they can be keepers.
Doubt you would get 1/2 what a nice real pair goes for these days.
 
Saw your post on Reddit, glad you came over here.

Yes, custom cabs which is why you have the "components by JBL" sticker.
Add a picture of those crossover plate, but if you're going to sell them, parting them out is probably the best way. Or clean them up and see what you can get as they are, looks like at least one grill is done for.
 
As others have said, more of a DIY L300, depending a little on what drivers are being used they might sound as good, and be better keepers than highly valuable on the used market.

The tweeter is the pro-audio version with the metal waveguide, I would expect that the other drivers are also the pro version (exactly the same, but with different numbers). It would be great to see what woofer and midrange are in there, could be AlNiCo woofer or the later ceramic magnet (higher power handling on the later one), DIY crossover or JBL Pro, lots of questions. Also look at the woofers, it appears that the foam is attached to the face of the cone instead of the correct attachment to the rear, and the shape doesn't seem correct.

I'd probably keep them if they were mine, did your Father build them?
 
Yeah, those look like custom-cabinet versions of the JBL 4333 studio monitor. In essence, the pro version of the L300.

In actuality- the driver arrangement on these (vertical line of all three drivers), should be superior to the 4333, which has the supertweeter to the side of the horn.

Regards,
Gordon.
 
Keep them. Looks like pro-quality construction, and as mentioned a DIY pair will not be worth nearly what a JBL-made cabinet is. Fix the grilles and enjoy them. They'll be a nice memory of your father (I'm assuming he's deceased). Sell the LX-8s.
 
If you liked the sound and have fond memories with these,keep them. Once they are gone they are gone forever!
Since they are not real L 300 cabinets,any possible buyers are sure to let you know and will not shell out L 300 money for them. People are going to low ball you hoping to get a deal,especially since they need some TLC.
You may feel you need the money now but for the few hundo you may get for them now,in a short time you will regret getting rid of them. The memories are worth far more then the money you will get now in this condition.
 
The tweeter is the pro-audio version with the metal waveguide,
So the OP has the 2405 (2405H most likely) vs the 077 which is the consumer version with the transparent (I assume plastic) prism. Is there any sound difference between the two? Did JBL ever state a reason for the different materials used?
 
The difference between the 2405 and 077 are the plastic/lucite prism and blue diaphragm on the 077. The 077 IIRC is listed as an 8 Ohm driver, the 2405 a 16 Ohm, but they are the same VC and same inductance/impedance, nobody has ever figured out why one was sold as 8 Ohms and the other 16.

Performance is the same. Given a choice, the lucite with blue diaphragm looks cooler when you're up close, but there are some that have cracked around the metal threaded insert where the aluminum one does not, ... I believe that the 077 is worth more $$ due to people wanting a matching one for L300 & L65 series speakers. JBL didn't to my knowledge give any reason for producing the two versions but to me the answer would be the obvious cosmetic allure of that crystal-looking tweeter, would be perfect for marketing crystal-clear highs.

I have had both the factory (new) L300As and also home-built clones with the pro drivers, really isn't any difference in the drivers other than P/Ns and the tweeter cosmetics (well, and value). My JBL dealer used D8R2235H cone kits for both woofer versions as they are the same also.
 
"nobody has ever figured out why one was sold as 8 Ohms and the other 16"

I have a thought on this. When the ceramic 2405 was used, the JBL crossover always included a 20 ohm resistor in parallel. The early crossovers didn't do this. If the resistor is "expected" than the impedance would be close to that of an "8 ohm" unit. "So from now on, let's just label them as 8 ohm."

BTW, I had put nice Mills 20 ohm resistors on my horn and tweeter drivers on my L200/300s and later took them off, just because of what they do to the impedance. By reducing the impedance at the driver, you raise the crossover frequency and there is already too much "gap" in this area so why make it worse?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom