• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I appear to be something of a Cowboy Junkies junkie

Alobar

Addicted Member
Not quite sure how this came to be, as I am heading in the past few years from rock to jazz. And anything with "cowboy" in the name has got to be COUNTRY MUSIC, OMG! :eek:

But somehow in the past year or so I started listening and buying Cowboy Junkies CD 's and DL' s
Maybe it's my close proximity to the Canadian border, but CJ's have left their mark on me!


I'm up to 8 albums now, but there are so many more! Here's what I have so far :
The Trinity sessions,
Caution horses
Black Eyed Man
200 More Miles (live double album)
Best of Cowboy Junkies
Studio
The wilderness
And one of my favorites of theirs,
All That Reckoning
Any Junkie recommendations out there?
 
Register to hide this ad
If you're into DVD concerts, you'll probably enjoy "Long Journey Home", a DVD/CD combo that includes a full concert in a smallish hall in Liverpool, and interviews with the band members. An interesting way to experience the band.
 
I have The Trinity Session, Black Eyed Man, The Caution Horses, Lay it Down, and All That Reckoning.

Since you didn't list it, and I like it a lot, I recommend getting Lay it Down.
 
Not quite sure how this came to be, as I am heading in the past few years from rock to jazz. And anything with "cowboy" in the name has got to be COUNTRY MUSIC, OMG! :eek:

But somehow in the past year or so I started listening and buying Cowboy Junkies CD 's and DL' s
Maybe it's my close proximity to the Canadian border, but CJ's have left their mark on me!


I'm up to 8 albums now, but there are so many more! Here's what I have so far :
The Trinity sessions,
Caution horses
Black Eyed Man
200 More Miles (live double album)
Best of Cowboy Junkies
Studio
The wilderness
And one of my favorites of theirs,
All That Reckoning
Any Junkie recommendations out there?

Not a bad thing to be, and from several angles, e.g., songcraft, musicianship, and lookin' @ Margo.
 
Pale Sun Crescent Moon (track 10 is epic)
Whites Ofd Earth Now

I didn’t care for their latest one tho ...

+1 on all three counts.
Whites Off Earth Now is a real sleeper. Love it.

Plus, Trinity Sessions has been pressed on Quiex and WOEN on MFSL.
 
Been a fan since their first LP. Probably because of the close proximity of the Canadian border.

I have seen them 10-12 times. The first time was in a Bar in Ann Arbor in 1989.

They were being interviewed on WDET Detriot once and the DJ asked what they attributed their longevity too?

Margo said that their mother would get very mad if they ever broke up the band.

Since it is not on your list I would recommend Sing In Your Meadows. I can smell the patchouli incense from the 70's rock vibe just mentioning this record.

I probably listen to this, White's Off Earth Now, and One Soul Now most frequently.

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 3.34.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 3.34.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 3.45.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 3.47.28 PM.png
 
Pale Sun Crescent Moon (track 10 is epic)
Whites Ofd Earth Now

I didn’t care for their latest one tho ...
Yes it is a departure from their earlier days, and when I first heard it, I was luke warm about it as well. The sound quality (which has always been good to excellent in spite of nothing over 16/44.1 dodn't seem all that well done. But some of these tracks have a certain reserved power to them, and several off this album are in my playlists.. Considering it is a 2018 release, her voice, while not as stunningly smooth as it once was, is well suited for these songs..
 
This one is one of my favorite CJ tracks. Well recorded, with a LOT of bass, probably a little too much for some but many of their songs are like that, and I like it as a balance for her hi pitched voice, that and I'm a bit of a bass head too!

This one , even though its slow really requires the floor to be felt! They are just awesome!
 
I don't like her voice in the two songs I've heard, but I'm open to further exploration.

Is she akin to Lucinda Williams, in that her early albums were all great but on her last 5-6 albums her voice sounds EXACTLY A FREAKIN LIKE, ON EVERY SONG! in all of them?
 
One of my favorites by them is 1 Soul Now,you can really hear Neil Youngs influence on their guitarist. But the icing on the cake is the limited edition ep/cd "neath you covers"that came with it. Cowboy Junkie covers of some killer songs.

Purchase the Cowboy Junkies new CD One Soul Now and receive 'neath you covers*, a free bonus EP featuring "Thunder Road," "17 Seconds," "Lungs," "Darkness, Darkness," and "Helpless" as performed by the Cowboy Junkies.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom