• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I built a custom cabinet for my Marantz! (510M, 125, 3800)

JTWbuild

New Member
About 2 years ago I came into possession of a very nice set of Marantz separates. I then designed a custom cabinet i always intended to build. the timing was never right but to start on it, but i finally bit the bullet and made it happen.
Screenshot 2026-07-28 165256.png
It is approximately 30 inches tall with the legs, however in the configuration i have set it, its 24 inches tall. The materials I used are baltic birch plywood, black walnut, and wenge.
20260730_165733.jpg20260730_165653.jpg20260730_180746.jpg

The stack is a 510M power amp, 125 tuner, and a 3800 pre-amp. they are driving my very nice Genesis 410 speakers.
 

Attachments

  • 20260730_165733.jpg
    20260730_165733.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 6
Register to hide this ad
looks pretty nice. The 510 has a fan in the back which pulls air from the rear and blows it out the top. There is an air cooling tunnel inside the amp. May want to make sure there is plenty of air flow if you plan on playing the system at loud levels.
 
Does the amp stay cool at the bottom?
Even without the box it gets decently hot. The 510 has an extractor fan type deal. I made sure that theres plenty of room and openings in the sides and bottom. I just got some nice quiet fans from noctua that I put in the side openings to blow air over the sides. It should be okay.
 
Looks great. I would be concerned, though, about air flow. Heat, of course, rises. It’s essential to have adequate ventilation at both the bottom and top—and a good draw (fans) to push it up and pull it out. It looks like heat could be trapped and pool around the cabinet. If any of your components’ faces are ever warm/hot to the touch, they might not be cooling adequately.

My owner’s manuals for my McIntosh equipment recommends (if mounted in custom cabinets) to have air vents above and below each component in the cabinet’s face and to allow 6” of space between each component.

Again: Nice job.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom