• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I cannot beleive how good is my new Ortofon Stylus 20 !!!

ORTOFON has always made great cartridges. I have a 2M Red and a VMS20E MkII. They are amazing.

I sometimes change out my DL-103 for one of the two.

Great cartridges all!
 
Does anyone have a pic of a 2m with the om stylus? I believe it, but I just have to see it!
 
Last edited:
Hi all.

Has anyone successfully updated the needle on a vintage Ortofon MC20? I have one (see pics) but the needle broke off.

I'm just getting into the hobby and I'm not having luck finding any examples of how to best go about this (if it's even possible.) Or where to purchase a replacement.

The nice folks at Needledoctor said that I pretty much can't save this old thing. I'm guessing they're right but figured I'd try here before I give up on it.

Thanks in advance if anyone here has advice that may help. This is my first post but love this forum. I'm working on a recap of a Marantz 2230 and all the info/discussion I've found here has been hugely helpful.
 

Attachments

  • get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 19
  • get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-1.aspx.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 16
  • get-attachment-2.aspx.jpeg
    get-attachment-2.aspx.jpeg
    148.9 KB · Views: 14
That is a moving coil, so no replacement styli that just snap in place. But you can send it to a rebuilder like Soundsmith and they can replace the cantilever. This is more expensive but gives you upgrade options.
 
Looks like retipping starts at $150. For me, since I have other cartridges, I'm looking to trade or sell this one for anyone who's been wanting one of these. Feel free to PM me if interested. Thanks.
 
The OP has got it right with the move from OM5 (or 10?) to the 20.

If he really wants to get even finer fidelity, retipping the above Moving Coil MC20 for $150 would be a good move. (Depending on the purchase price).

OP would need to make sure he has a Moving Coil capable input tho.
 
Does anyone have a pic of a 2m with the om stylus? I believe it, but I just have to see it!

Here :) :

...video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGAh6nxODo




mixtureom2m.jpg





...2M left, OM right:

2momheadtohead.jpg





...with Digitrac stylus:

mid_2m_Red___Digitrac_200_Ne_Stylus.jpg
 
I did try the 2M Red/blue body with a Nightclub mk2 stylus in past it work great

Since the Nightclub mk2 come standard with a Super OM body

I will try my 20 stylus when I have a chance to remount the 2M cart on something !

Worth a try since the 2M body is easy to mount
 
Back
Top Bottom