• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I found industrial tube intercom in abandoned building and it's still running

Pennk2

New Member
Ok so, I was recently exploring my towns abandoned trash incinerator(which is untouched)As everyone dose in an abandoned building when they find a wall full of knobs, buttons and switches, i started to press them. Next thing I know the building still has power and I ended up turning have of the place on, but I noticed that the tube intercom system it still intact and has been running operational for decades In side this abandoned incinerator. It has the original wall mounted speaker/microphone too. Most of the buildings tube/electrical equipment has already corroded and rotted beyond repair
Screenshot_20201119-045517_Video Player.jpg westinghouse switch board
Screenshot_20201119-045435_Video Player.jpg random fan lever
Screenshot_20201119-045442_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20201119-044916_Video Player.jpg wall mounted microphone
Screenshot_20201119-044910_Video Player.jpg stormgburg Carlson intercom amp

Not gonna mess with it due to fear of death or legal ramifications, but what do you guys think?
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20201119-044910_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-044910_Video Player.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Screenshot_20201119-044916_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-044916_Video Player.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 212
  • Screenshot_20201119-044916_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-044916_Video Player.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 209
  • Screenshot_20201119-044910_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-044910_Video Player.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I'm not sure that's where he was going with that. I hear him asking what we think about it still operational after all this time and neglect. But what do I know?
 
The world has changed. When I was younger a couple of miles from my house was a state park with the remains of old Western State Hospital on it. It was a 3 story building you could go into, they did not have it blocked off. In there were left over beds, the walls had restraining bolts, and it was full of graffiti. Some of it was scary, some incredibly detailed, and a bunch of it crude. Still fascinating to read, and it was a cool building to walk through. Of course there were rumors that witches held ceremonies there on All Hallow Eve. Many many years later they fenced it off, and eventually tore it down. In retrospect its hard to believe they left it unsecured to where the general public could get in.

EDIT: Bit of history...acress Frances farmer had a lobotomy done and was assigned to the old Western State Hospital. Mental health treatment then was a scary thing.

eb45b52c337e655c5b8f4706445456ff.jpg
 
Last edited:
No doubt if you were to get it up & running it would only be able to communicate with those who have already departed...
 
  • Like
Reactions: YY1
NIce bit of urban exploring. The members have the legal stuff covered so why is the electricity still on? Come clever homeless could tap in and make a comfy nice home in there.
 
Item 1-

My last employer purchased a large metal warehouse building the rehab into a technology support center.
I was the tech project/Implementation leader, so I got to go along with the first crew to inspect the building.
It was formerly a used automotive parts disassembly/reseller facility.
There were several work stations in various areas and a central control office on a pedestal which was about second story height.
Connecting them was a pneumatic tube system, like the bank drive through, except it had cable remote route switches to direct the shuttle/pigeon to different stations.
I thought that was super cool and appropriated the shuttle, which I still have.

Item 2-

There was also an abandoned mental hospital building near where I grew up.
As late as the late 1980's it was basically open, if you knew where to look to get in, both to the grounds and the building.
The grounds were large enough that you could get a car in and possibly not be seen at night from any of the surrounding roads.
Several times we parked right on the circular entrance drive around what had been a large fountain.
I only went inside once, and it was pretty trashed from decades of partying and shenanigans.
I guess the owner or the city couldn't afford security as I only ever heard about 1 or 2 people ever escorted off the property.
 
Great first post, Pennk2!! Jeez, AK Nannies, our new member stated the site was abandoned. IIRC, in Wisconsin, if it's unlocked and not posted: "NO TRESPASSING" with a name and contact number, your free to explore. Let's appreciate his extraordinary find. This is better than a ghost story and really up my (abandoned) alley. Intriguing to the max IMHO.

People regularly explore construction sites that aren't secured or posted, along with ancient buildings. I'd think the city might suffer legal ramifications for having an unsecured structure full of live wiring.

What blows me away is how some seventy year old electrical equipment, with tubes, electrolytic caps, condensation and corrosion, still operate.

Thanks for posting Pennk and welcome to AK.
 
Look up urban exploration on youtube. Very fascinating!

Me and a friend back in 1979 were able to explore a drain tunnel which went right under the Seattle Sea-Tac airports runway. Can you do this today? No freakin way since 911.
 
Look up urban exploration on youtube. Very fascinating!

Me and a friend back in 1979 were able to explore a drain tunnel which went right under the Seattle Sea-Tac airports runway. Can you do this today? No freakin way since 911.
Lightweight!
Try doing that with 7 other people all on acid and one flashlight!
 
Great first post, Pennk2!! Jeez, AK Nannies, our new member stated the site was abandoned. IIRC, in Wisconsin, if it's unlocked and not posted: "NO TRESPASSING" with a name and contact number, your free to explore. Let's appreciate his extraordinary find. This is better than a ghost story and really up my (abandoned) alley. Intriguing to the max IMHO.

People regularly explore construction sites that aren't secured or posted, along with ancient buildings. I'd think the city might suffer legal ramifications for having an unsecured structure full of live wiring.

What blows me away is how some seventy year old electrical equipment, with tubes, electrolytic caps, condensation and corrosion, still operate.

Thanks for posting Pennk and welcome to AK.
My exact reaction too, most of the other equipment also works like the fire suppression system
 
Tube gear is far less fragile than people think it is, especially the stuff designed for commercial duty. That stuff was built to be turned on and left on for many years at a time without breaking down. S-C was also a plenty capable company. Their other major business was telephones, and those had to be reliable.
 
You used to be able to sneak into what is now Bridgestone Arena in Nashville via a series of underground tunnels in the downtown area. You'd pop out in the boiler room of the arena, hop out into the concourse, and viola, free show. Been many years since I did this kind of stuff, and I bet it's not still possible.
 
Tube gear is far less fragile than people think it is, especially the stuff designed for commercial duty. That stuff was built to be turned on and left on for many years at a time without breaking down. S-C was also a plenty capable company. Their other major business was telephones, and those had to be reliable.

Think about WWII communications equipment. (especially aircraft)
Reliability was paramount!
 
When you wrote tube intercom I assumed tubing that was yelled through...

Finding that still working would be less surprising though.
 
That is SOOOO cool, Pennk2! I must've missed some side discussions on where this is or how old B/C I don't see that stated anywhere, but like, did you flip some switches and things started to hum and lights came on? Did you speak "check, check..." into the mic? Did you start to sing in it?

That is REALLY Halloween-ey and cool. Mental hospital would've been good, but trash incinerator is the nest best thing, maybe better (for the disposal of bodies in those horror films...).
 
Back
Top Bottom