• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I found it by A garbage can. Set it in garage for a year. Just got it home from the shop!

captinzander

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
More then a year ago i was following a garage sale sign. The sale ended up being closed but across the alley by the garbage can i noticed something very shiny in the sun. Got out to look. Could not believe it and put it in the car as fast as i could. Then i set it in the garage and figured id get to it someday.
All the selector switches were bent in the front. The large volume knob was wiggly and loose. Rca plugs in back had snapped off posts stuck in the plugs. The buttons were sticky. Inside was also messed with a bit too.
20200626_170359.jpg Well i finally found a local tech guy and just got it back home today. Needed some TLC and some new parts. Now just need to find the original selector knob and its complete. My very own hot off the repair shop Bench - Pioneer SA-9800

Now i just need to finish cleaning out the junk room and hook it up! And maybe need some better speakers for it to drive. (Currently have sansui xp8700)

You never know what you gonna find out there being thrown out!

​
 

Attachments

  • 20200626_170330.jpg
    20200626_170330.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 90
Register to hide this ad
That's a great save! Your tech did a really nice job straightening out the switches it looks like.
Post a WTB in Bartertown and maybe someone can get you a knob. I had a Heathkit that was missing a knob and someone responded to my post in about a half an hour with exactly what I needed.
 
Nice.I had a sa-9900 that I loved,not sure why I was stupid and sold it back in the 90,s.It was the star of many a party with its ess amt 1c.That pioneer was way way over built!
 
My neighbors gave me this Sansui 7000 said it didn’t work was going to throw in trash. I said I would take it. It worked six months then channel went low. Took to a really good tech he did some cleaning and leds it was working

B347137A-E3F0-44FB-8DFD-98D9C54B1602.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Now that’s a vintage piece that can proudly wear its nicks and scratches. Pulled out of a garbage can! Nice.
 
Nice save on the Pioneer. Years ago I found a Marantz 2220 receiver on top of a garbage can. It was the filthiest piece of stereo equipment I have ever seen, looked like it had been in a smokehouse. I cleaned it up and it worked fine. I kept it awhile and then I sold it. Sounded real good with Large Advent speakers, I remember the stereo place I worked at in the mid 70's selling that exact same combination.
 
Nice save. If you don't have the knob in your Bag-0-Knobs, they were used on enough other models it should be easy to find.
 
A pair Dynaudio audience 8" 2 way towers I bought off a fellow were found by his son awaiting the trash pickup. His son used them in his wedding party.

Yeah some folks just want stuff gone.

My personal best free find was when an elderly fellow I bought a car from who lived across the street from my grandparents. He passed years later and when his kids were emptying his house they were told I liked old electronics. They said come over and take anything I wanted out of the basement before they fill a dumpster. Amongst my van full were 3 boxes worth of tubes, many western electric. Got a pair of 300b, some 274, 310a, many others.

Yup one mans trash is another's treasure. This saying is VERY true.
 
Its alive! Or It Lives! Finally got the basement junk room cleaned out enough to set up a system and for the first time i actually get to hear the SA9800 instead of just look at it. Its nice. And now i have to read on what inputs i need to have my cartridges set at. Ive never had those selector switches for a phono before.20200802_160814.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom