• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I Found some little Gems: Very Vintage Kenwood LS-405A's

Big Tuna

Too Much Power!
Yep, I found these on ebay a few weeks ago, a pair of USA Kenwood LS-405A speakers from 1976-77. 10 Inch woofer, 1.75 inch unibody tweeter, 55Hz-21kHz +/- 2dB Octave, 93dB @ 1W/1M, 100 Watts RMS, 180 Watts Intermittent. These Little 30 Lb gems are amazing performers. The tweeter is so crisp, & clear with a filter resistor inline with the 2.5uF cap, crossing it over @ 2,500Hz. Bass response is rock solid, flat, tight and VERY quick. The baffle is made of true triple crosslaid Lauan Lumber core in the same fashion as how the soundboards are made in grand Pianos, with birch plywood, which gives testament to it's superior sound quality and performance. I just finished refoaming the woofer after redoing previous owner's poor attempt at a incorrect refoam job. They survived my surgery and are doing well. :)
 

Attachments

  • Kenwood LS-405A.jpg
    Kenwood LS-405A.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 172
Register to hide this ad
Well, I made a boo-boo with the woofers in these! The surrounds I found for them worked but the roll wasn't quite the right width, so I found a different 10 inch surround with a bigger roll, and I used a new gasket. It fit the frame and cone edge almost perfectly, and looks much better and it has tighter tension when it moves, the bass is better controlled and more accurate than it was with that one I had on it before with the smaller roll. :D
 

Attachments

  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 70
I just bought a pair of these at a local thrift shop. I bought because of the quality of the cabinet build. Could anyone tell me where I could get a refoam kit for them or which ones work better?
 
Good luck with your search. The "Big Tuna" may be the only one who knows. Try starting another thread either in this forum or speaker forum and maybe you'll get a response.
 
I just bought a pair of these at a local thrift shop. I bought because of the quality of the cabinet build. Could anyone tell me where I could get a refoam kit for them or which ones work better?
Hey there, welcome to AK. The surrounds I used came from Midwest Speaker repair here:

http://w.mawebcenters.com/midwestsp...ndard-refoam-kits/10/10-refoam-kit-f10-5.html

They fit very well with no trimming or modifying, and don't forget, attatch foam to backside of cone as original. Do not put foam on top of cone on these!
 
Back
Top Bottom