• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I got my first R2R!

Are the red lights over the meters coming on when you're recording? HiFi engine has FREE manual. Hold the buttons in, then hit the play button.
 
Yup, I was turning the input control. The red lights are not coming on, however. I'm following the instructions in the manual--holding the buttons while hitting play... any ideas? Switch is set to Source and the signal is coming through the headphones.

PS. The needles do jump when I turn the deck on and off, if that helps.

PPS. Unrelated (newbie) question--is it ok to leave tape in the deck? Will it stretch it out?
 
Last edited:
OK, here's an update. I got some reels with music on them to test playback. The left channel works but the right doesn't. The signal goes in and out when I push on the connector in the back, so I think it might be a loose/dirty connection somewhere... I'm going to go over it soon and see what happens. The meters still aren't doing anything.
 
You'll probably need to do a mechanical tune-up on this first - it might have been sitting for 20 years or more. Use some switch cleaner/lubricant on the switches. Does your pinch roller snap back as quickly as it snaps into position? The linkage pushes a microswitch when it is in the stop position. If this microswitch isn't pressed, record won't engage. You may have to clean the old grease off the linkage shaft, and re-lube.
 
Back
Top Bottom