• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I got the AU-11000... But there's a catch

Niiiice.

The RCA jacks on the side, inset, with a cable pass-through is to me a best design choice by Sansui.

I suppose it was a design feature that was too expensive or difficult to manufacture to continue to incorporate it in later amps.

Sounds real good though!

I look forward to the restoration thread to come.
I like the idea of having all inputs and outputs on the sides of the amplifier... It negates having to pull the beast out of wherever it is just to unplug or plug something in... It looks awesome, too!
 
I feel better about driving my 20000 3+ hours each way (twice) for the restoration. It would have been a crime for it to suffer in transit. I bought something on ebay recently. He had it packed and shipped by the UPS store. it was heavier than this. Th e outside was double heavy bubble wrap. Some cardboard around some pieces. Then peanuts in a single box. Box looked ok. Outside of unit actually looked ok but inside had some broken brackets (which fortunately can be replaced and seller refunded me cost of brackets). I'm sorry to see a nice piece like that suffer. On the other hand, it still looks very good! Nice job on the straightening. Enjoy your new piece!
Thanks! I've been enjoying it every second that I've had it!
 
Sorry to hear about your damage. As minor as it might seem to some, the amps should arrive in the condition they are listed in. I think in the last 2 years I received damage on about 75% of units shipped to me but only a couple were disasters.

btw Rustoleum hammer finish dark bronze is a good match if you decide to repaint your cover. (build it up in very light coats so it doesn't get too much hammer finish..and it will match the slightly rough but still glossy texture of the original).
 
Sorry to hear about your damage. As minor as it might seem to some, the amps should arrive in the condition they are listed in. I think in the last 2 years I received damage on about 75% of units shipped to me but only a couple were disasters.

btw Rustoleum hammer finish dark bronze is a good match if you decide to repaint your cover. (build it up in very light coats so it doesn't get too much hammer finish..and it will match the slightly rough but still glossy texture of the original).
I was at the Home Depot the other day and grabbed the rustoleum hammertone burnished amber because I thought it would be a close match... damn! :rflmao:
I'll have to exchange it.
what do you think is the best way to prep the metal for paint?
wet sand with a really high grit, wire brush, etc?
Thanks!
 
I was at the Home Depot the other day and grabbed the rustoleum hammertone burnished amber because I thought it would be a close match... damn! :rflmao:
I'll have to exchange it.
what do you think is the best way to prep the metal for paint?
wet sand with a really high grit, wire brush, etc?
Thanks!

Nothing special about the prep just lightly sand all surfaces (I used 0000 steel wool but you may have to go more aggressive with sand paper to get out your scratches). Do wipe it all down with some alcohol when done to make sure no oils are on the surface. Do it in many light coats or the finish will be too hammer like... go on light and it will have that semi-gloss with a slight coarseness like the original. And watch for dripping from the nozzle if you spray for too long bursts.... (the new nozzle shape was worse for that then the traditional nozzle)

I took my lids down to home depot and that colour was the best match to my 9900A and TU-9900. It is slightly different color to the original but you wouldn't know it if you do all panels. I can't even tell when I have my painted 9900A next to my unpainted TU-9900 :). Once done with all your coats let it dry much longer than the recommended time before. I have to redo my AU-9900 because I placed something on it 1.5 days later and it marked the paint which wasn't full hardened.
 
Firstly, nice Sansui. Fabulous piece of kit. Terrible about the packing and shipping. With that limited amount of packing, I'm shocked there wasn't worse damage.
I had purchased my Epicure M1 power amp from a chap in New York and had it shipped. The shipper, DHL, dropped it. Though it was very well packed, it arrived and the box was crushed. Must have been dropped on its corner. The corner of the amp was crushed in. The case itself was bent. A number of lights were out and the walnut wood accent was crushed. Took it to my tech. did a total restoration with the wood bits sent to my furniture restoration specialist. DHL said they'd cover the costs... When it came back I submitted all the bills and such.. then they refused... I'll never use them again...
Glad you could bend the case back. My 'new to me' HK Citation arrived with a dog-eared corner. The top inch and a half of the face plate corner was dog eared. Must have been dropped on the corner at one point. Disassembled the amp. Found out that somewhere along its life, the lights were jiggered in place with pug. Lumps of solder. Anyway, used my vice to bend the plate back into shape and used a sock and a ball peen hammer to bang out the remaining dent/bend. Will never be 'new' but it is back to about 8/10...
Kudos to you on your Sansui. Enjoy!
Shame to have damages happen to audio equipment during shipping... Makes my heart break.
Did you try to peruse them to pay for it, or did you just give up? I would have taken legal action, but that's just me.
Thanks!
 
I just posted a video on YouTube of the AU-11000 with better music and a higher resolution.
Better up-close shots, too... Hope you enjoy!


IMG_1408.JPG IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1284.JPG
 
Niiiice.

The RCA jacks on the side, inset, with a cable pass-through is to me a best design choice by Sansui.

I suppose it was a design feature that was too expensive or difficult to manufacture to continue to incorporate it in later amps.

Sounds real good though!

I look forward to the restoration thread to come.

I wonder why they did the side jacks to 9900 and 11000 and not 20000?
 
i think the damage happens sometimes on purpose, A irritated worker pissed off because of the occasional very heavy box, just drops it and feels better about it. workers are not like the way we grew up with respect for peoples items, they dont care and laugh about it, so even a well packed item will get dropped but suffer less damage.
 
Hey j31088,
Do you mind if i ask which part of Adks you're in? I used to rent cabins in the old forge area and backpack in the high peaks.
 
Back
Top Bottom