• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I guess the "break in" period is real

In my experience phono cartridges take about 15 hours for the suspension to settle in. Woofers on most speakers take 4-6 hours, vacuum tubes generally took about 8 hours for the brightness to wear off (turn them on and let them play all day and they are just dandy sounding). I put new capacitors in my old Dynaco A25 speakers- they sounded like absolute arse for 20 minutes until the caps "formed" and then like magic they sounded just like an A-25 should. My new speaker wires took all of .000001 second !

To break in a vehicle engine drive it nicely for about an hour to get everything warmed up and stabilized, then select a medium gear (one where the engine redlines at about 70 mph) and stomp the gas pedal down until it reaches redline, then get out of the gas and let it slow itself down. Repeat two more times and your piston rings are seated and the thing will run for a long long time. I've put over 300,000 miles on a couple of my cars that were broken in this way and they never used any oil. Even my old 2008 PT Looser which now has 190,000 miles only leaks 1/2 quart in 6 months.
 
Last edited:
.

To break in a vehicle engine drive it nicely for about an hour to get everything warmed up and stabilized, then select a medium gear (one where the engine redlines at about 70 mph) and stomp the gas pedal down until it reaches redline, then get out of the gas and let it slow itself down. Repeat two more times and your piston rings are seated and the thing will run for a long long time. I've put over 300,000 miles on a couple of my cars that were broken in this way and they never used any oil. Even my old 2008 PT Looser which now has 190,000 miles only leaks 1/2 quart in 6 months.
concur. I first heard this when my bandit 1200 was consuming oil at a prodigious amount (ring gap problems, ended up being a factory recall) back in 2001 and have used it ever since. It goes against the grain of manufacturer 'break in' procedures, but I've NEVER had engine problems since doing it.

Limiting RPM is dumb, and heat/cold load/unload cycles are key, along with making sure you don't run the same rpm for any extended period at first, along with changing the oil EARLY. I usually do it after the first 100 miles.

As to music equipment break in, I'm still undecided.
 
Back
Top Bottom