• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I love you honey!

cubdog

banging through drywall
Don't get any ideas! I'm talking about the sweet golden stuff that comes from the hive to the jar. I've never been a fan of the standard clover honey though, it has a strong after taste to me. A couple of years ago I got some wildflower honey from a relative up in Wisconsin. Best honey I ever tasted. It had a unique citrus flavor. Unfortunately he lost all his bees so I can't get anymore. :sigh:

Lately I've been on a quest trying different honeys mostly from small producers. My second favorite so far has been some orange blossom honey from Medford Farms. Next up I'm going to try some blueberry honey. I generally try to buy locally because shipping honey tends to be very expensive.

So honey lovers what kinds do you like? I'm more interested in flavors rather than brands because of the afore mentioned shipping expense but feel free to name the producer as well. Convince me I should pay the added cost to get some.

Hopefully there are other honey lovers here that will share their favorites. Also feel free to include any recipes. I don't really cook with it much. It's so darn good straight!

cubdog
 
Register to hide this ad
If you have an Aldi store up your way, they sometimes have Waldhonig, a German honey that comes from bees feeding in the forests. It's very dark and has somewhat of an evergreen flavor. Good stuff.
 
If you have an Aldi store up your way, they sometimes have Waldhonig, a German honey that comes from bees feeding in the forests. It's very dark and has somewhat of an evergreen flavor. Good stuff.

Great! I'd have never thought about Aldi's. That place can be full of surprises.

cubdog
 
This morning I had PBS on in my office, and the episode of "This Old House" had a segment on bee hives and honey at the end. I've been around bees and honey all my life, being raised in an almond orchard, but never had seen the process of collecting the honey. Learned two interesting factoids.

First, honey never spoils in it's straight-from-the-hive form. Probably why it's called "Nature's Perfect Food".

Even more interesting - honey will get hard in the jar. To liquify it, just set the jar in warm water until it melts.

If the honey you buy in the store is in a liquid form, it's been boiled. Boiling changes something in the makeup so it won't solidify again. Unfortunately, it also boils away some of the flavor and nutrients.
 
I used to keep bees a very interesting hobby. I love Alfalfa honey. But the very best honey there is, is Citrus blossom honey; Orange, Lemon, Grapefruit, etc. Honey has medicinal properties it is a treatment skin ulcers.
 
Last edited:
I love honey, blackberry, orange blossom and wildflower are staples, I get other flavors at farmers markets. Can't remember the name, but there was one that tasted like marshmallows...
 
Orange blossom here. We still have a few orange groves here in Orange county, Ca.

Funny story, I traded an old nightstand full of rescued bees to a local beekeeper for a quart of avocado honey a while back. It was OK. Somehow I resisted opening the drawers to check it out, I just bagged it after dark and called a local keeper.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom