• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need info on Atlantis speakers!

Have several items for sale if anyone wants to look! Vintage Stereo

I missed this when it was first posted in July. First, you can't post links to for-sale ads in the open forums. Being new you probably didn't know that. Since you have 3 posts you may not have been back.
Second, the speakers in your ad are Atlantean III, not the Oracle 3. The ad copy on your page quotes a lot of info from this thread referring to the Oracle 3 being the best of the line but it is not the same speaker you have.
Third, I am a bit suspicious of the chrome dust cap on the woofers. Not sure those woofers are original. However I don't have a pic of a correct Atlantean III to compare to.
 
Hi. I have just picked a set of Atlantis 3-A speakers up at an estate sale and have been trying to find some information on them. After searching every way I can think to search them it looks like the info you have posted is the only information available on them. I was wondering if you might have any additional information or know where I could potentially find some? Love the covers for these speakers, very different black foam covers with stand up 3D 1.5" circles covering them...very cool look. Not so impressed with the looks of the speakers, though the inverted surround on the 8" Subwoofer makes it a little more unique, but is ruined by the large chrome center cap. Anyway any information is appreciated Thanks in advance

Interesting grille on those!

There's that chrome dust cap again. Maybe it was factory original in both cases.

Oh, not to nitpick, but that's a woofer, not a subwoofer. Subs are generally all by themselves in their own cabinet, and work at frequencies below that of most woofers. Hence the term SUBwoofer.
 
I missed this when it was first posted in July. First, you can't post links to for-sale ads in the open forums. Being new you probably didn't know that. Since you have 3 posts you may not have been back.
Second, the speakers in your ad are Atlantean III, not the Oracle 3. The ad copy on your page quotes a lot of info from this thread referring to the Oracle 3 being the best of the line but it is not the same speaker you have.
Third, I am a bit suspicious of the chrome dust cap on the woofers. Not sure those woofers are original. However I don't have a pic of a correct Atlantean III to compare to.
I'm new to this site so I'm not sure how the messages work but I was just emailed your response. I don't know if it was ment for me or if all comments are sent to everyone on the thread, but just want to confirm that I have no sales post listed on this site
 
I was replying to the post above yours from July, so no worries. :thumbsup:

You can turn email notifications on or off in your profile (click on your handle at the top right of the screen, then 'alert preferences.') Most of us have it turned OFF so we don't get an email every time a message is posted in a thread we posted to.

All the posts appear here in the thread on the forum for all to see.

You'll see my reply to your post right after that one.
 
I picked this up at a local thrift. Decent sound in a little package, with an interesting tweeter design.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2699.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 111
That's a whizzer cone. It is an inexpensive way of extending the frequency response of the main cone - the heavy main cone can't accelerate fast enough to produce high frequencies, but the light secondary cone can (basically a mechanical crossover). It can be quite effective, but there is interference between the waves radiated by the two cones and the dispersion of the whizzer may be limited by the main cone. And it works better in efficient drivers that have light main cones -- a heavy cone (as in acoustic suspension speakers or small ported speakers) needs a powerful motor system, which often implies a heavy multilayer voice coil, which won't produce much high frequency response even before the cones are added.
Because of these limitations, in the 60s (when small inefficient speakers came to the fore), you usually only saw whizzers in car stereo systems and bottom of the line entry level speakers (and a couple of oddball very high efficiency speakers like Lowthers). But there has been a resurgence of interest in them by people who want full range drivers and/or use very low power SET amps.
I'm inclined to believe that your Atlantis speakers were the entry level models, but that doesn't mean that they won't sound very nice within their limits.
 
Last edited:
"Award" speakers were the less-expensive private-labels speaker models made for Team Electronics out of Minneapolis; I believe they used Becker drivers in most of them. The "Atlantis" and "Oracle" lines were above them in quality. The Award 22's were the bottom of the line, but none of the Award line had much going for them. The Oracle line used much higher quality drivers.
 
Hi. I have just picked a set of Atlantis 3-A speakers up at an estate sale and have been trying to find some information on them. After searching every way I can think to search them it looks like the info you have posted is the only information available on them. I was wondering if you might have any additional information or know where I could potentially find some? Love the covers for these speakers, very different black foam covers with stand up 3D 1.5" circles covering them...very cool look. Not so impressed with the looks of the speakers, though the inverted surround on the 8" Subwoofer makes it a little more unique, but is ruined by the large chrome center cap. Anyway any information is appreciated Thanks in advance
I worked at Becker Electronics Manufacturing Corporation in East Durham, NY back in the day. We produced speaker systems for Atlantis out of Minneapolis, MN. I ran one of the enclosures lines but it was so long ago it's hard to remember everything. Do you have a picture of the crossover network? Maybe pull the woofer and get a picture of the stamp on the magnet? It looks as though the speakers have been moved through the years. Maybe the screws stripped out. Or, were they mounted crooked to begin with?!!
 
Welcome to AK mudgie! Great to meet someone who worked in the business.

There are some other threads on the Atlantics and I believe I've heard the Becker name before. :thumbsup:
 
I bought today pair of Becker speakers, with 12" woofer. Maybe someone knows more about these?

becker2.jpg
becker1.jpg
 
Did not know there were any Becker branded speakers! You might want to start a new thread for them.

Looks like an accordion surround on that woofer, that's a pretty good woofer methinks. How do they sound? All the drivers working?

Oh, and welcome to AK. :thumbsup:
 
Jumping on the thread late, but glad I found it.

I bought a pair of Oracle Atlantis 3's at a garage sale in 2008. I'm just now looking into getting these restored and replacing a missing woofer. Is it worth it? I really like the sound they produce, just wanted some input from some pro's .20180626_022832.jpg 20180626_022930.jpg 20180626_024105.jpg 20180626_023038.jpg 20180626_023236.jpg
 
Did not know there were any Becker branded speakers!

My first speakers were Beckers, sold by a place that mainly focused on appliances but had one wall dedicated to stereo. The picture above looks like the ones that one of my friends bought. I got a model down with a 10" woofer. Great? No. Best I could afford? Yes, minimum wage was less than two bucks an hour. Years later I learned they mostly made house speakers for chains. If I see a pair cheap at a tag sale or thrift I might pick them up just to check their construction, crossover and for nostalgia (can I say shits and giggles here?). But they gotta be cheap.
 
It was cool to see the Beckers, even if they aren't highly rated.

I remember reading that Becker made their own loudspeakers, in addition to making drivers for house brands.

My first stereo came from Team Electronics.

Maybe someday I'll come across the animated TV ad, 'The Sacrifices', had like an ogre with an axe chopping electronic equipment.
 
How'd we miss Grizzanon's post from June? Well ifyou're still listening, the III's are well worth restoring!

BigElCat: what an odd commercial. Was it for Team?
 
Yeah...Nelson / Team Electronics. It had Yellow Submarine style animation.

Tox has demonstrated his Oracle IIIs at Twangfests. Well worth the listen.
 
Here we can see some Altantis speakers for sale on a TEAM flyer; circa 1976

aa_sun_19760213_p014-001.jpg


They pressed at least one LP

91BMdye%2BABL._SX425_.jpg


Dayton-Hudson, the parent group of Target, acquired Team Electronics in 1970. Team kept going independently, as a store any how. I'm still looking for something that corroborates my own memories.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom