• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I Need Some Guidance - FM Indoor Antenna

I use a BIC beam box. I have a model ten in my main system and a model eight in office. Simple
but works if you can not do an outside antenna. I tried different Terk models and they didn't do
anything. Simple 300 ohm twin lead types are a pain and look terrible.
 
Just a brief update: The 500C was returned to Ken Leonard at AEA for repair; it was there for some six weeks. When it was returned to me the performance was still unacceptable. Although I paid a substantial amount of money for what was represented to me to be Ken Leonard's "legacy piece," I decided that what this Fisher piece was expert attention. I am happy to say that the receiver is on Dave Gillespie's bench right now. Virtually ALL of AEA's so-called "restoration" had to be removed. To say that AEA's work was amateurish would be generous. I feel that AEA misrepresented the "restored" 500C to me, and the needed repairs - which were extensive - were apparently well beyond AEA's capabilities. You should see under-chassis photos of AEA's work on this 500C. At the end of this nightmare, I may have the world's most costly Fisher 500C, but after Mr. Gillespie's magic touch, experience, expertise, workmanship, and attention to detail, my Fisher may be one of the world's best. Clearly, I should have done more and better research on AEA before I bought the unit; I'm not the first to have a terrible experience with them.

By the way, after sending the unit to Dave, and registering a complaint with AEA, I got a $500 refund frrom AEA (which will not come close to the cost of fixing their work), and a perfunctory "sorry 'bout that."
 
Just a brief update: The 500C was returned to Ken Leonard at AEA for repair; it was there for some six weeks. When it was returned to me the performance was still unacceptable. Although I paid a substantial amount of money for what was represented to me to be Ken Leonard's "legacy piece," I decided that what this Fisher piece was expert attention. I am happy to say that the receiver is on Dave Gillespie's bench right now. Virtually ALL of AEA's so-called "restoration" had to be removed. To say that AEA's work was amateurish would be generous. I feel that AEA misrepresented the "restored" 500C to me, and the needed repairs - which were extensive - were apparently well beyond AEA's capabilities. You should see under-chassis photos of AEA's work on this 500C. At the end of this nightmare, I may have the world's most costly Fisher 500C, but after Mr. Gillespie's magic touch, experience, expertise, workmanship, and attention to detail, my Fisher may be one of the world's best. Clearly, I should have done more and better research on AEA before I bought the unit; I'm not the first to have a terrible experience with them.

By the way, after sending the unit to Dave, and registering a complaint with AEA, I got a $500 refund frrom AEA (which will not come close to the cost of fixing their work), and a perfunctory "sorry 'bout that."
Well that is pretty crazy. I just Googled AEA and it says that they specialize in the resoration and modification of the 500C...
 
Well that is pretty crazy. I just Googled AEA and it says that they specialize in the resoration and modification of the 500C...

Yep, that's what they say. If you are considering buying from them, or having them restore a piece for yourself, send me a PM. Also, do more online research than I did. There are threads on this forum describing similar experiences.
 
Last edited:
Terk makes some antennas that are easy to install.

To be clear, this thread has moved well beyond any antenna issues.

FM wouldn't work correctly because of many problems in the FM and multiplex circuits that AEA left unresolved/unrepaired.
 
F indoor antennas. I have a 30 year old Channel Master on my roof and it is still awesome. Great FM and great 5.1 on the tube.
 
There's some people who claim they can work on the Fishers, and then there are some who truly can.
I'm sure there's a dozen out there, who claim their mods will get you stations out of Alaska.

The question is, did any these units really need any modding, or such in the first place? Likely no.

Kaspar at Stereo Rehab in Chicago has a whole lounge full of mint Fishers. It's like a museum in his shop! He knows them like his hand, and a year warranty to boot with any repair-refurb. DSCN0848.JPG DSCN0848.JPG DSCN0852.JPG

Wanna see? Here ya go!
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0850.JPG
    DSCN0850.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0857.JPG
    DSCN0857.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0854.JPG
    DSCN0854.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0858.JPG
    DSCN0858.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom