• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I need the 12 step program for audioholics

Squidward

Scrappy Mod
Subscriber
There's this cartoon where the Coyote has something terrible happen to him (as always) and for some reason that escapes me at the moment, he has these fits where he vibrates uncontrollably. I have a house full of gear that I'm trying to get rid of, and I find myself at a yardsale today looking at a pair of speakers that I KNOW I don't need, and yet I almost couldn't pass them up. My innards felt like that Coyote. I had to walk to the car.

Hi, I'm Ed, and I have a problem.

(That is the first step, is it not?)
 
Register to hide this ad
nice to meet you Ed admitting you have a problem is a great first step now chaining yourself to the garage or a lawnmower or a ladder is your second step. wearing those horse blinders so you dont see those nasty yard sale signs, thrift stores is a great third option. :lmao:
 
I'm cut off for the rest of the year... you guys are really a bad influence. I've spent wayyyy too much money on audio equiptment since joining this forum...
 
Squidward said:
I find myself at a yardsale today looking at a pair of speakers that I KNOW I don't need, and yet I almost couldn't pass them up....

Hi, I'm Ed, and I have a problem.

(That is the first step, is it not?)
damn straight you do, you passed on a pair of speakers. get back out there and make up for this transgression.
 
I am with ya brother

I was very proud of myself yesterday, I passed on a pair of sansui speakers and a pair of pioneer speakers. But when I got home I still had a pair of advents, epi's a technics TT, an 8 track player, a sony 4 channel amp and an adcom gfa 555II in my truck. But I do suppose this was a step in the right direction, right?
 
brainsmasher said:
I was very proud of myself yesterday, I passed on a pair of sansui speakers and a pair of pioneer speakers. But when I got home I still had a pair of advents, epi's a technics TT, an 8 track player, a sony 4 channel amp and an adcom gfa 555II in my truck. But I do suppose this was a step in the right direction, right?


:lmao:

You kill me Brian !!! :thmbsp:
 
But it's such a fun problem.......

I had told the wife I was not going to pick up any more speakers a while back after finding my Boston A150s.

Then a couple of weeks later - there's a pair of Boston T830 staring me in the face - so I told her those would be the last.

A couple of weeks pass and I walk into a thrift that had a pair of Boston A100 that were screaming to go home with me for $12.97. I'll fix the grills and give them to my son - sometime.

Fairly serious at this point that I don't have a lot of room to store more speakers (about nine sets besides inwall HT at this point). But yesterday I walked into the thrift and here were some LITTLE Radio Shack MC-1000 for $4.99. Surely I have rooom for these. Out the door and home they went.

Yeah, it's a problem. NOT!!!

Alan
 
I too have taken the oath to not drag anymore audio orphans home, but it wouldn't hurt just to look, right?

I walked into a local SA Thursday and spotted a nice Kenwood KA6100 amp. It appeared to have been kept in a rack, since it was spotless. Marked $10 and a sticker that said left channel didn't work. Like a good audiojunkie that had taken the oath, I walked out the door without the amp and my head held high. That little amp talked to me the next 3 hours, and I kept thinking, a little Caig would probably fix it right up.

3 hours later, I am walking out the door of the thrift, $5 lighter carrying the amp. Cleaned the pots and switches and it works perfect.

I guess I need to pick up another 1 day chip.
 
brainsmasher said:
I was very proud of myself yesterday, I passed on a pair of sansui speakers...

The pair of Sansui speakers that I passed up prompted this post.

I'm not sure I could resist a Kenwood Integrated, definately not for three hours...
 
Why do you guys keep snatching up all those Pioneer and Sansui speakers? Wouldnt you rather save up lets say get some EV;s/Wharfedales/whatever? (obviously less often, but would sound better)

I never thought that any of these speaks sounded that good to start,,I know they are inexpensive, but if you changed your goals, your pattern should change as well..and that would snap the bad habit.
 
brainsmasher said:
But when I got home I still had a pair of advents, epi's a technics TT, an 8 track player, a sony 4 channel amp and an adcom gfa 555II in my truck. But I do suppose this was a step in the right direction, right?

Even the longest journey begins with one small step. :)
 
Ed, I went a little nuts after joining this forum, I was picking up everything from low power receivers to speakers I could'nt even identify. If it had a real wood cabinet I couldnt pass it up if the price was right.
My collection of the the great and not so great had tripled since I posted a pic of my basement several months ago. I finally broke down and started to sell off a lot of it and have been pretty successful so far.
My new criteria for purchases goes like this.

1) If you really can use it or its just to valuable to pass up, go ahead buy.
2) No purchases allowed of gear that would wouldnt use in your main or secondary system. :
3) E-bay buying is strictly forbidden unless you except the fact that a ass pounding is a distinct possibility.
4) Keep telling yourself that you havent just found the last example of this piece in existence. Everytime I do think that I find a better one about a week later. Take deep breaths and keep cool.

Also keep in mind that its "One day at a time"

Opps gotta go, thats my phone ringing, Im sure its the guy who has the Wharfedales for sale. :D

RC
 
I went a little crazy after joining this forum. I now have systems where I want them and have stopped. I am now, just concentrating on keeping my main system up to date with tubes and cd player upgrades.
 
Ed, during the last re-hab I went thru (I've been thru 3 but that's neither here nor there) I was told there's at least 10% of the U.S. population that have the same problems that I do! You're not alone! I too am an audio junkie. We'll get through this, brother. I'm sure we can both find a sponser here at AK...Well maybe not here!...God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference......Rock On!.........roadie1
 
denial is more than a river in egypt, I think I'll hang one of those 12 step medallions off my dqm9's


damn, the altec valencias for $300 were just yoinked off ebay... grrr
 
Back
Top Bottom