• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I think I want a vintage MC2125/2105 but which preamp?

dangorange

Member
I’ve always loved the look of vintage McIntosh gear and since I’m not getting any younger, I’ve decided it’s time to pursue getting some. I’ve heard a variety of set ups with varying ages of McIntosh gear and always enjoyed how they sounded.

I only play vinyl and for over 2 decades I’ve been using a Marantz 2275 and a pair of ProAc response 3.8’s and a turntable (Funkfirm LSD). I recently added an EAT E-Glo Petit phono pre to allow for using an MC low output cartridge. I’ve only known the Marantz as for an amp, so very little to compare to in my room. I like it, and would keep it around as a spare at the very least. But I have the itch to try something new. Nothing new really tempts me, and I'm not afraid of the older gear, I would want to only buy something that has been recently serviced or restored. Not looking for a project...

I think I’ve narrowed down the amp choice to an MC2125 with the alternative consideration for the 2105. Going down the polarizing rabbit hole of all things McIntosh, the preamp is something I’m unsure of. There’s a local restored MC2125 and C26 I could get as a package deal for what would be a nice price, except the 2125 looks a little beat up cosmetically. Then there’s another local MC2105 and C28 that are both pristine, but priced on the high side. I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews on those 2 preamp models, but not entirely deterred. I can be patient though and wait for the right one to come up, just not sure which model(s) that would be to hold out looking for.

Any recommendations/advice appreciated!
 
Register to hide this ad
They are both excellent preamps, I have both in my vintage systems. The c28 has more features and is warmer than the c26 and has a regular loudness switch. It is a very refined beautiful sounding pre. The c26 is very sensitive to amplifiers and can play too loud with the wrong amps. Case in point, when I use it with my very sensitive quad 405-2 I need attenuators so I have some volume control. You’ll be ok with a Mac amp because they allow you to adjust the gain. The nice thing about the c26 is that is sounds a little less warm, more defined, and it has a variable loudness control which is really nice. The over all sound is also excellent. In my opinion while the c26 rocks, the c28 is refined with more control. Hope this helps and good luck!
My last comment is that a packaged deal is always nice, and looks are also character. I have an ugly duckling MC240 I wouldn’t part with because of its character (not to mention the sound).
 
They are both excellent preamps, I have both in my vintage systems. The c28 has more features and is warmer than the c26 and has a regular loudness switch. It is a very refined beautiful sounding pre. The c26 is very sensitive to amplifiers and can play too loud with the wrong amps. Case in point, when I use it with my very sensitive quad 405-2 I need attenuators so I have some volume control. You’ll be ok with a Mac amp because they allow you to adjust the gain. The nice thing about the c26 is that is sounds a little less warm, more defined, and it has a variable loudness control which is really nice. The over all sound is also excellent. In my opinion while the c26 rocks, the c28 is refined with more control. Hope this helps and good luck!
My last comment is that a packaged deal is always nice, and looks are also character. I have an ugly duckling MC240 I wouldn’t part with because of its character (not to mention the sound).
This is the response I was hoping to see, especially about the character. I do have a soft spot for equipment that has some war wounds, most of mine does to varying degrees. I guess my main concern is while the price seems fair, it's not a steal by any measure. The plus is that it's been gone over by a tech and is assumed to be up to spec. I would at least be able to check it out in person, which is my preference.
 
This is the response I was hoping to see, especially about the character. I do have a soft spot for equipment that has some war wounds, most of mine does to varying degrees. I guess my main concern is while the price seems fair, it's not a steal by any measure. The plus is that it's been gone over by a tech and is assumed to be up to spec. I would at least be able to check it out in person, which is my preference.
Remember, they are only going up in value as the years go by. Also having that assurance that’s it’s gone thru is a real bonus In a lot of ways. My C28 was a wreck that I rebuilt ie glass, front frame, new caps and a final work up by Audio Classics for grounding issues, so having work done is expensive…but so worth it with Mcintosh. It’s now a beautiful piece I intend to keep forever. Even with all the restoration work I’ve done to it over the 5 years that I’ve had it I can sill break even if I choose to sell it. My MC240 was a kinda of “barn find” on eBay with the chrome really pitted….sound wise like I said it’s a keeper. Have fun!
 
I personally wouldn't buy any McIntosh preamp with non-sealed pots. Just too damn much maintenance. I believe the C29 was the last such preamp . . .
Understandable, is this mostly an issue with channels cutting out, distortion or what not? I know my Marantz can get very finicky after a while it I don't work all the controls and pots now and then, but generally clears things up.
 
Yes, plus the possibility that they will wear out and be difficult to replace, especially the ones with the power on/off on the volume control, which wear out and good replacements are nearly impossible to find (but bad replacements abound).
 
If you want a smooth sound you want a C-28. IF you want a more revealing sound a C-29 or C-30. I have learned over 60 years of owning a stereo system that you want pre-amps with graphic tone controls and the LF and HF filters with a full functioning Mode selector. They allow the flexibility required to get the best results from compromised LP's. Be the issues be rumble, tape hiss, or the channels being reversed. I also like a loudness control for listening at low levels. The preamps with stepped tone controls I find the steps are to large either adding to much or subtracting to much. I will admit I like being able to adjust one channel separately from another tonally. C-34, 33, 32 with the companders can be a nice feature, though I prefer a DBX 3BX for dynamic expansion and noise reduction. It isn't necessary for 90% of digital recordings. But seems to be particularly effective with FM broadcasts and LP's.
 
If you want a smooth sound you want a C-28. IF you want a more revealing sound a C-29 or C-30. I have learned over 60 years of owning a stereo system that you want pre-amps with graphic tone controls and the LF and HF filters with a full functioning Mode selector. They allow the flexibility required to get the best results from compromised LP's. Be the issues be rumble, tape hiss, or the channels being reversed. I also like a loudness control for listening at low levels. The preamps with stepped tone controls I find the steps are to large either adding to much or subtracting to much. I will admit I like being able to adjust one channel separately from another tonally. C-34, 33, 32 with the companders can be a nice feature, though I prefer a DBX 3BX for dynamic expansion and noise reduction. It isn't necessary for 90% of digital recordings. But seems to be particularly effective with FM broadcasts and LP's.
Good advice, I will say, I am thinking of checking out this MC2125 and C26 this evening and unless something really seems off, I might buy the pair. This will at least give me a taste of the vintage Mac in my room and can always continue to search for a different preamp. In all my 2 decades with my Marantz, I've never touched the tone controls and only hit the loudness button a few times. I do enjoy the latter now and then!
 
I can't see my 2125 ever leaving my grasp. It has a very smooth non fatiguing sound that is perfect for all day listening. I've never owned a 2105 but I believe it's the metered version of the 2100? I had a couple of those amps here for a spell and to my ears they were opposite of what I was hearing on the 2125. Never owned a c26 but I did enjoy a c28 here for a few years. Not the last word in detail but very pleasant to listen to. If I didn't pick up a c33 it would more than likely still be here making music. Apparently I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have an issue with the problematic volume pot.
 
Good advice, I will say, I am thinking of checking out this MC2125 and C26 this evening and unless something really seems off, I might buy the pair. This will at least give me a taste of the vintage Mac in my room and can always continue to search for a different preamp. In all my 2 decades with my Marantz, I've never touched the tone controls and only hit the loudness button a few times. I do enjoy the latter now and then!
Wait till you rotate the variable loudness control on the C26. You’ll love it! Good move.
 
Good advice, I will say, I am thinking of checking out this MC2125 and C26 this evening and unless something really seems off, I might buy the pair. This will at least give me a taste of the vintage Mac in my room and can always continue to search for a different preamp. In all my 2 decades with my Marantz, I've never touched the tone controls and only hit the loudness button a few times. I do enjoy the latter now and then!
The 2125 is a fine amp, I once owned one. The only reason that I sold it was an opportunity to purchase a pristine 2155 that came across my path locally. As for the C26, I've never owned one but I have heard that the phono preamp section is cleaner on a C28. Maybe someone who has had both can speak to that.
That being said, I once owned a C28 that was later replaced by a C32. Now that was a noticeably cleaner phono section. You also may consider a 2125 with a period correct preamp such as a C32 or C33. While the C26 is a well respected item, it was first generation SS and a lot older than the 2125 that you're considering mating it with.
These that I've mentioned will have better specs and presumably better SQ, not to mention increased features than the C26.

ps. I've just re-read your initial post and I'll offer this observation. A beat up looking 2125 coupled with a C26, which is essentially mis-matched from a product line perspective doesn't sound like a very compelling purchase, at least to me. In many respects, the pristine 2105 and C28 are more compelling. The conventional wisdom has always been find the most cosmetically pristine unit you can find, the electronics can always be refurbished. Remember that Mac sold a lot of these various units. Why not wait for exactly what you want, preferably in pristine condition complete with cabinets, factory cartons & manuals? They're out there, you just have to seek them out. Do you live in a large city, or close to one? Search the local Facebook market place ads. Generally all private owners, many original owners. Be patient, you won't regret waiting for the right unit, but you will regret buying the wrong one.
 
Last edited:
ps. I've just re-read your initial post and I'll offer this observation. A beat up looking 2125 coupled with a C26, which is essentially mis-matched from a product line perspective doesn't sound like a very compelling purchase, at least to me. In many respects, the pristine 2105 and C28 are more compelling. The conventional wisdom has always been find the most cosmetically pristine unit you can find, the electronics can always be refurbished. Remember that Mac sold a lot of these various units. Why not wait for exactly what you want, preferably in pristine condition complete with cabinets, factory cartons & manuals? They're out there, you just have to seek them out. Do you live in a large city, or close to one? Search the local Facebook market place ads. Generally all private owners, many original owners. Be patient, you won't regret waiting for the right unit, but you will regret buying the wrong one.
You bring up a very good point which I've been wrestling with. I guess my main temptation with the beat up one is if I can get it along with the C26 for a decent enough price (not sure what that would be) it might be a nice entryway in and could always flip for a better example. Maybe lose a few bucks along the way, but not get entirely hosed. Or maybe I'll really like it as is and be done with it all. I do live near Boston, so definitely not in the middle of nowhere. Typically I'm very patient for something like this, eager, but patient. I just don't know if this pair will be around for long and they're a relatively short drive away. I also don't want to go check them out without at the least a reasonable intention to buy.
 
The more I think about it, and also research prices of past sales. I don't think this pair is such a bargain in the condition they are in. I honestly would prefer to spend more for a nicer example in the grand scheme of it all. Plus, I do enjoy the hunt.... Still need to keep researching Preamps and love all the advice that has been thrown out.
 
You bring up a very good point which I've been wrestling with. I guess my main temptation with the beat up one is if I can get it along with the C26 for a decent enough price (not sure what that would be) it might be a nice entryway in and could always flip for a better example. Maybe lose a few bucks along the way, but not get entirely hosed. Or maybe I'll really like it as is and be done with it all. I do live near Boston, so definitely not in the middle of nowhere. Typically I'm very patient for something like this, eager, but patient. I just don't know if this pair will be around for long and they're a relatively short drive away. I also don't want to go check them out without at the least a reasonable intention to buy.
You bring up a good point, think of the resale. Not many are clamoring to purchase a vintage piece of McIntosh that is beat up unless it's a bargain. As for the C26, just about any preamp that McIntosh sold after that one is going to be more desirable. Unless these items are being sold at a price that you know you could resell at a profit tomorrow, you may reconsider. No one should go into a purchase like this thinking you may lose a few bucks along the way, there's no need for that. Properly purchased, there's no reason that you should not make your initial investment back if not a profit. I can't help but think that you buy these items, love the sound of McIntosh and you then think to yourself "I wish I would have bought one of these amps in nicer condition or this other model that matches my amp". Again this is just me speaking from my perspective. I've upgraded many units over the decades, but each one I purchased I initially figured it would be for the long haul. This philosophy has served me well.
 
The more I think about it, and also research prices of past sales. I don't think this pair is such a bargain in the condition they are in. I honestly would prefer to spend more for a nicer example in the grand scheme of it all. Plus, I do enjoy the hunt.... Still need to keep researching Preamps and love all the advice that has been thrown out.
I just read this after posting my last comment. This really does make the most sense. Good luck with your quest.
 
Not sure what the opinions on the C504, but I like the compactness of it. I don't need a lot of features as I only play records, and it's in the right 'era'. Will have to research a bit, it's mind boggling trying to narrow down these late 70's early 80's CXX preamplifiers!
 
Back
Top Bottom