• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I used to listen to this? And liked it?

Wigwam Jones

Caesar non supra grammati
Picked up an absolutely mint copy of Kansas "Point of Know Return" at a local thrift shop today. Someone really took care of this classic. Straight from 1977, the cover and the vinyl are like new; the liner is original, the vinyl has not a scratch or scuff on it. Dead silent where it should be silent. Got it for 75 cents.

And, nothing. Nada. No joy. No rediscovery. I'm underwhelmed. It's not even good music. The lyrics are lame, the hooks are boring, even the mastering is lousy.

I once knew every word in this album. I would sit in my bedroom in the basement of my family's house in Colorado, burning incense and pondering the deeper, more profound meaning of the lyrics. I read those liner notes dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Between Boston and Kansas, I had just about all my musical needs taken care of.

Oh, man. Have I ever moved on. With a vengeance.

http://www.discogs.com/Kansas-Point-Of-Know-Return/release/788029

R-788029-1326684712.jpeg


Never saw *that* coming.

How about you? Any songs you've moved on from?
 
Register to hide this ad
This is what I listened to for four years.
 

Attachments

  • shack-126.jpg
    shack-126.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 660
I used to think Phish was something. Then I didn't smoke pot anymore. I tried to give them a listen again only to discover that it was lackluster to say the least.
 
Nothing is as good as the first time , well maybe the second, well maybe the third, etc. I like Kansas but i do get your point. I got that feeling a few weeks back listening to some old April Wine " Harder, Faster " I think was the cassette title.
 
Every so often I whip out an old cassette from the early to mid 70's and listen. I must have nearly 100 from the radio. Often times I don't know what is coming. And quickly hit the fast forward. I'd rather hear the jingles and the record intro walkovers.
 
I won't say this about all recorded pop music, but a lot of it seems to be little more than art imitating fantasy. That doesn't mean I like it any less, but discecting some songs too far, just like coming to understand how magician's tricks are really executed, can ruin them for you.
 
Used to like Eurythmics, now I absolutely cannot stand them.

And once, in a fit of who-knows-what, I actually purchased a Foreigner album (shudder).

Yet some stuff I thought wouldn't stand the test of time, like the Sex Pistols, actually has.
 
It's kinda like this friend of mine who always noodled around playing guitar. Last time I saw him he'd stopped playing. When I asked him why he said it's because he stopped drinking and as a result realized that he sucked.

As for the pop music of my youth - I still like some but I listen to jazz now more than anything.
 
And, nothing. Nada. No joy. No rediscovery. I'm underwhelmed. It's not even good music. The lyrics are lame, the hooks are boring, even the mastering is lousy.

I once knew every word in this album. I would sit in my bedroom in the basement of my family's house in Colorado, burning incense and pondering the deeper, more profound meaning of the lyrics. I read those liner notes dozens, maybe hundreds of times. Between Boston and Kansas, I had just about all my musical needs taken care of.

Oh, man. Have I ever moved on. With a vengeance.

http://www.discogs.com/Kansas-Point-Of-Know-Return/release/788029

Never saw *that* coming.

How about you? Any songs you've moved on from?

I totally hear ya Bro! Too many to list. It would depressme to do so. So much wasted youth.
Anyone ever see the scene in "The Freshman" when Brando's character peeks into Clark's (Matthew Broderick) dorm room and says "so this is college? I didn't miss nothin!
 
I was a teenager in the late '70's and thought that the band "Angel" was as good as "Yes" only heavier rock. I hadn't heard them in years and was excited to find my favorite album by them (Hellava Band) on CD. I popped it in the CD player as soon as I got home and couldn't believe how incredibly bad this band was! How had I not noticed how off-key the lead singer was and how bad the writing of these songs were?
 
I used to think Phish was something. Then I didn't smoke pot anymore. I tried to give them a listen again only to discover that it was lackluster to say the least.
Crap I just listened to all of "Junta" last night. I'm not sure if I like Phish or I just like that record for various reasons.
 
Hey, That's classic Kansas. It's the wisdom of a young man and though I can only partly relate to it, it still sounds fresh for what it is. And the playing and singing is excellent. More than respectable. They were Steve Morse's favorite band too, before he toured with them.

That said, there is a lot of pop music that has lost it's appeal to me. Other pop has gained appeal. Rush never get's old. Classic Judas Priest still sounds great to me, minus the adrenaline surge. Good songwriting stands on it's own.

I find bands like REM incredibly boring now. And punk? what was the point of that? Though some of the early punk artists like Joe Jackson matured beautifully. Phish didn't have one good song, just a lot of fancy noodling.
 
I still totally like everything I ever liked, going back to when I was six years old and first heard the Beatles. Actually, even before that -- my parents used to play "Carmina Burana" to me in the crib, and I'm still fond of it. I wonder what it all means ...
 
I had the opposite experience a few weeks back. Picked up LP of The Police Outlandos d'Amour. Now to put things in perspective, I remember listening to this album, or more specifically to Roxanne, on one of the first FM Walkman-type radios. Must've been about 9th grade. I recall being just blown away... by the music, the lyrics, the whole package. Listening to it again on my planar speakers and 350wpc amp at the ripe old age of 46 brought me right back to that time and really made me nostalgic. Good times...
 
Funny, just a couple hours ago I was starring at the ceiling. I couldn't sleep. Among other things I was thinking about my vinyl collection. Thinking about how just the other day I got my turntable and gear clicking. Sounding better than it had in years.

Yet I was in a funk, brooding. That damn vinyl. I've dragged some of it around for decades. It's been with me through countless moves, too many romances, and will probably be with me for at least one more breakup. The sooner the better that.

But as I tossed and turned every disk i thought of putting on the table for a spin, well it's not like I leaped out of bed to throw on The Cars CandyO.

But every now and then I pull something out I haven't heard in years. Sometimes I just shake my head. Yes for much of that old music the bloom is defiantly off the rose. And then I laugh. Was I stupid for liking, hell loving that music back then. From this perspective yes, but hey. I just turned 52 the other day. If 17, or 26, or even 35 for that matter doesn't look stupid from here what would that mean?

That would mean I hadn't grown, I hadn't learned, I hadn't lived. So ya, some of that stuff is kinda cheesy, but some of it still moves me. some of it is Classic, it's art.

As for the cheesy stuff , my son, he's 16, he likes some of it. And sometimes so do I. I may be 52, my tastes may have changed, but when I'm in a store, and I see a Hot Wheels display, I still check out the cars.

I think I'll put on some Cheap Trick.
 
Due to the oversaturation I can no longer listen to:

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Nirvana -Nevermind

Songs from these albums have been overplayed across the medium spectrum and in pop culture where the fact that they sell GnR coffee Mugs at a Wal Mart has just sucked the life out of these entire albums for me. And these are supposed to be the best albums of all time. What has happened? I'm no longer that eager little 9 year old with a walkman and a recording of those albums on those k-mart tapes just soaking in the music.

I can name some more bands but I really don't want to offend anyone. Thank God there are literally millions of music material to select in this world.
 
I keep a lot of old albums, just for the sake of Aural time travel. Throw on some albums and you get transported back in time, with hidden memories resurfacing.
Regards,
Jim
 
Back
Top Bottom