• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

i want another cartridge..(apart from my technics 207c)

delfindavid

New Member
hi, because I have long with this cartridge, in a Jelco arm mounted the LAD, and to start thinking about a candidate for purchase, apart from the corresponding parameters, I would like to know if you had this cartridge and have tested other what you it seemed ... I know it is largely subjective but is good not only stick to cold specifications.

for example I tried a goldring 1042 and well, apart from the much greater volume of output, I didnt found a very big difference for 400 euros which is its price ... I do not know maybe I missed something, but I know this technics capsule is highly valued in general.

Well, that, experiences ...
I hear music ranges from punk to beethoven and through miles davis, flamenco, Kraftwerk, much funk, or pink floyd, well that is another reason that might experience between types of music and capsule.

regards
 
Register to hide this ad
thanks for the wellcome, i ve write in another forum but not in turn table forum.

well i ll look for info about this cartbridge, i see its not expensive.

in these cases the worst is that until it is not in your house you dont know how it sounds on your turn table...
 
ok, only good opinions...
"The stylus shape of the AT440MLB is "micro linear". This is one of the most recent advances in diamond stylus cutting which actually reads more of the groove than all previous designs (including the Shibata cut) so it naturally reproduces the highs perfectly in comparison to Conical and Elliptical cuts"

and it has a new kind of stylus, my Technics is a elliptical.
 
8,3 gr!! wooow its heavy :rockon:

i'm looking GRADO, the Gold1 and the Reference Platinum 1...but there are a parameter that i have to calculate in my arm, compliance, i dont remember when i found the exactly model. its a Jelco that it was mounted in a LAD turn table.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=37215

i think is this, so torn arm its 21gr....i think cartbridge 8,3gr its too heavy, I'm not sure, I'm a beginner, technics 6gr and Grado 5,5 gr

and the turn table is like this:

009.jpg
 
Well, i ve read a lot about this...and its true that compliance of 20 its not good for my jelco, this is in theory because many people says that they have this combination and sounds well...
Indeed its a risk buy it without listen it..200€
 
8,3 gr!! wooow its heavy :rockon:

i'm looking GRADO, the Gold1 and the Reference Platinum 1...but there are a parameter that i have to calculate in my arm, compliance, i dont remember when i found the exactly model. its a Jelco that it was mounted in a LAD turn table.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=37215

i think is this, so torn arm its 21gr....i think cartbridge 8,3gr its too heavy, I'm not sure, I'm a beginner, technics 6gr and Grado 5,5 gr

and the turn table is like this:

009.jpg


...edit: its a heavy cartbridge but compliance its low, 10, so likes anothers AT match with my arm....thanks
 
Here, a friend who had this OM 10, tell me that if i want to change sound type i must go to ortofon because AT and Grado have similar sound that Technics, apart diferent nivel series, of course.
But this is a subjetive opinion.

Thanks, saludos.
 
for example I tried a goldring 1042 and well, apart from the much greater volume of output, I didnt found a very big difference for 400 euros which is its price ... I do not know maybe I missed something, but I know this technics capsule is highly valued in general.

One word of warning which somehow seems to be rather ignored by people recommending fine but entry level (few bucks) cartridges like the AT95e, OM10, etc.

If you do find the difference between a Goldring 1042 (with a nude Gyger-S diamond, around €500) and the Technics EPC-207c (bonded elliptical similar to say a €100 AT-110 today) pretty small.

Well, let me state the obvious then: if you are not impressed by the improvement of the €500 Goldring 1042 then I am not in the least convinced that you will find a €30 AT95e, a AT95e with an upgraded stylus, a €40 OM10 or a €170 AT440ML a huge improvement over the EPC-207c!

Actually, I think that in case of the OM10 and AT95e you will probably find it is a downgrade to the 207c, and the AT440ML very probably won't do any better than the Goldring 1042. So keep your money in your pocket and if something cheap comes by now and then, give it a try to see if it brings an unexpected improvement.

(Side note:

I actually can understand your disappointment: often the differences in sound quality tend to get rather exaggerated by the, proud and enthusiastic new owner of the new, more expensive cartridge. How many times I have seen differences between cartridges (which I personally own so I can have in direct comparison) described as a "complete transformation", "night and day", "much more detailed", "much more airy, open", while based on my own A/B experiences there might be differences but certainly not at all to that degree. Another problem is that the whole chain, starting from the stylus tip to the cartridge, arm (and rest of turntable), cable, phono amp, pre-amp and speakers and ending in the ear of the listener has an impact which is perhaps a magnitude larger than the pure differences between cartridges alone.

End side note.)
 
Last edited:
If you care to take notice I was actually recommending the Ortofon Super OM40, given what appears to be the OP's budget. I only said I have an OM10.
 
Ok fair enough and true that you did not recommend the OM10 itself, but in my experience quality / sound wise a OM10 has very little to do with an OM40 (except for the fact that they fit in the same body), so a recommendation of the OM40 based on the OM10 would still be rather strange to me. If I had to bunch them up I would bunch the OM10 together with the OM5 as "nothing special" budget cartridges and the OM20, 30 and 40 as the good ones of the bunch. But anyway, my main point remains that the TS seems to find a top of the line MM (Goldring 1042) hardly any better than the 207c, and when that is the case I would advise him NOT to spend a lot of money on an expensive cartridge but rather try some alternatives if they happen to come by cheaply. :)
 
For my uses on a mid-range Pioneer PL-115D the Ortofon OM10 was quite an improvement over what was on there before. Given that the OM40 is both part of the same series and the top of the line of that series I don't think it is strange of me to direct someone to consider the high end product of that line of cartridges, especially given what seems to be the OP's budget. When I eventually replace that stylus I'll certainly be going for one of the higher end ones.
 
One word of warning which somehow seems to be rather ignored by people recommending fine but entry level (few bucks) cartridges like the AT95e, OM10, etc.

If you do find the difference between a Goldring 1042 (with a nude Gyger-S diamond, around €500) and the Technics EPC-207c (bonded elliptical similar to say a €100 AT-110 today) pretty small.

Well, let me state the obvious then: if you are not impressed by the improvement of the €500 Goldring 1042 then I am not in the least convinced that you will find a €30 AT95e, a AT95e with an upgraded stylus, a €40 OM10 or a €170 AT440ML a huge improvement over the EPC-207c!

Actually, I think that in case of the OM10 and AT95e you will probably find it is a downgrade to the 207c, and the AT440ML very probably won't do any better than the Goldring 1042. So keep your money in your pocket and if something cheap comes by now and then, give it a try to see if it brings an unexpected improvement.

(Side note:

I actually can understand your disappointment: often the differences in sound quality tend to get rather exaggerated by the, proud and enthusiastic new owner of the new, more expensive cartridge. How many times I have seen differences between cartridges (which I personally own so I can have in direct comparison) described as a "complete transformation", "night and day", "much more detailed", "much more airy, open", while based on my own A/B experiences there might be differences but certainly not at all to that degree. Another problem is that the whole chain, starting from the stylus tip to the cartridge, arm (and rest of turntable), cable, phono amp, pre-amp and speakers and ending in the ear of the listener has an impact which is perhaps a magnitude larger than the pure differences between cartridges alone.

End side note.)

hi, i agree with you.

Goldring has "better sound" that technics, yes, but i think its expensive, in spanish i would say that i don see a good price/quality relation, but its only my opinion, its subjetive. and i dont know what would be today a price of the Technics...

Talking about big changes, i remember when i heard first time technics, i had a stanton 500 V3 and.....wooooooowwwww, so perhaps im looking for this sensation...another kind of sound, this can happen with a 500€ cartbridge or with a 200 one...I know that when you work with higher quality changes are minor, of course

i have talk with friends who have make direct comparison, and they knows my likes and my experience in this themes, i read in many forums, and my conclusion, not final, is that perhaps i can risk with an Ortofon...wich Ortofon?...its another history hahahhaa...i have not hurry.

well, thanks for your opinion, saludos.
 
If you care to take notice I was actually recommending the Ortofon Super OM40, given what appears to be the OP's budget. I only said I have an OM10.

Ok fair enough and true that you did not recommend the OM10 itself, but in my experience quality / sound wise a OM10 has very little to do with an OM40 (except for the fact that they fit in the same body), so a recommendation of the OM40 based on the OM10 would still be rather strange to me. If I had to bunch them up I would bunch the OM10 together with the OM5 as "nothing special" budget cartridges and the OM20, 30 and 40 as the good ones of the bunch. But anyway, my main point remains that the TS seems to find a top of the line MM (Goldring 1042) hardly any better than the 207c, and when that is the case I would advise him NOT to spend a lot of money on an expensive cartridge but rather try some alternatives if they happen to come by cheaply


yes, i understand you both.

and apart if i want to change or not, I think it's good to share knowledge and experiences.

i read all your coments, i have a looooooot to learn.
 
Back
Top Bottom