• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I was in the mood for some tenor sax.

PHC1

Addicted Member
Banned
Relaxing day, quiet in the house and I was really in the mood for some "old school" tenor saxophone a la tubes. Swapped the 275 into the system, let the 501s take a break today, turned off the MS300 and fired up the MCD1000 to keep the system "pure and traditional". Poured myself some Remy Extra and got some Ben Webster, Don Byas, Buddy Tate and Lester Young CDs of the shelf.

MCD kept the CDs spinning, MDA was decoding, 275 Tubes were glowing and the Guarneri Mementos were pouring out the pure honey that the tenor saxophone can be in the hands of such fine musicians of the days long gone.

As I immersed myself into the music, all thoughts vanished and all that was left is the musical window that took me back into the past and my soul was warmed up by the sweet, emotional sounds of the sax and the flavor of Remy.

Oh man, sometimes these listening sessions can be pure magic. :music: I guess the only thing that would have made it even more special is if I had been playing LPs instead of CDs.
 
Register to hide this ad
I was in a jazz mood myself today.

I threw an original pressing of "Mingus Ah Um" on the plattah, fired up the MA2275 and let the tubes do their job.

Like every day, I was yet again blown away!

Good times.
 
Sounds like you were in saxophone heaven.

Why did you switch to the MC275? Was it because you think it's better suited for that music. Or,were you looking for a little tube magic?

It would be cool to have the LP's. I just ventured into a used record store near me today, and that place has some good old LP's. I will have to get back there.

Enjoy your session.
 
Sounds like you were in saxophone heaven.

Why did you switch to the MC275? Was it because you think it's better suited for that music. Or,were you looking for a little tube magic?

It would be cool to have the LP's. I just ventured into a used record store near me today, and that place has some good old LP's. I will have to get back there.

Enjoy your session.

There are still some things the 275 can do that the 501s can't quite match although they do come close. The harmonic bloom of the 275 can make some recordings such as the ones I was listening to today sound simply magic. :music:
 
Must be a jazz day. I began with Bill Evans then migrated to Ben Webster. :D

Now it's the Creedance Clearwater Revival. :banana:
 
Everyday is a jazz day. I just finished listening to Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet, and now have Chieli Minucci - Got It Goin' On spinning. Just finished a Baileys Irish Cream, and getting ready to pour a second.

Christmas Eve, and life is good.
 

Attachments

  • Cal Tjade - Sextet.jpg
    Cal Tjade - Sextet.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
Everyday is a jazz day. I just finished listening to Cal Tjader/Stan Getz Sextet, and now have Chieli Minucci - Got It Goin' On spinning. Just finished a Baileys Irish Cream, and getting ready to pour a second.

Christmas Eve, and life is good.

You're speaking the universal language there Dan. I'll see your Baileys, and raise you a Kahlua... :thmbsp:

And wouldnt you know it, Santa is over Shannon, Ireland as I write this ! Norad
 
All this talk of Jazz saxophonists is starting to give me the itch for some Sonny Rollins. :thmbsp:
 
...
Oh man, sometimes these listening sessions can be pure magic. :music: I guess the only thing that would have made it even more special is if I had been playing LPs instead of CDs.


Good for you Serge.

I bet you are glad you kept the ol' 275 :D.

About LPs ... yes there is something special about vinyl ... darn it ...

Alberto
 
I have been enjoying a new find today. "Nancy Wilson/Cannonball Adderley"

Some great sax work in this one. :yes: The beautiful voice of Nancy Wilson is a nice plug on this disc.

Now, since this is a music thread, off to the Music Forum it goes.
 

Attachments

  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 8
Around 4:30 this afternoon had some BBKing spinning ....Live at Cook County Jail . Recorded at the jail house in 1970. It's all good

Thanks Jack
 
Back
Top Bottom