• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I went to a flea market (black receivers)

I get pallet loads from recycle.

The HDMI can be flaky. Onkyo HDMI are usually bad. I scrap them on sight.

Most Yamaha work fine. The natural sound is excellent for phono.

I get tons of Denon. Most work fine but those can need a remote to tune the tuner.

Sony ES are great but about half I get are toast.

Pioneer Elite are nice but the digital signal processing can be near factory defective.

Marantz are about 50/50. The monsters tend to have flaky power supply issues.

I consider them commodity. Buy a pretty one that works, enjoy, when/if it dies, buy another.

If you stick with one brand, the remotes can work across units at least for basic on/off, volume, input.

There are some TOTL old ones that are really sweet for a home theater setup. The ones at 60-70-80-90-100 pounds are quite nice.

Yes, I had the TOTL Denon beast.
It was 98 pounds!
MSRP $7500

Folks need to look at some of Yamaha's new offerings.

Outside of light issues my 2040 has never given me one bleep of problem. Great receiver, but I found a euro version in a thrift for $50 12 years ago. I would opt for one of Yamaha's new integrated over any giant vintage receiver.
I passed on an R8 a while back, if it was an R9 I would have grabbed it. And they can be finicky.

If the OP can get a deal on a functioning beast more power to him. But I wouldn't shell out $$$'s for one.
 
Thanks guys. Lots and lots of great info. Good tips on the remotes. Some came with them taped to the receiver. Some guys were out in the open air, so not always possible to hear or test before buying.

From the replies I've read, I'm sort of leaning Yamaha right now. I like Sony, Pioneer and Onkyo too. My most powerful home system is an Onkyo TX 4500 MKII.

If I bought new, it would likely be the Yamaha S202 (or the Sony) for $150 everywhere, but I think I'll hold off for now.

I'm trying to power a bedroom, 12x14. 15" big speakers in the corners. Was happily using a Realistic STA-47 (I did like the Loudness button, as I don't listen too loud) that recently gave up the left channel. I like the 17" wide form factor.

Currently using an RCA from the early 2000's but it is not as "detailed / 3D" as the Realistic was.

I usually use the TV speakers, but for movies or audio I flick on the receiver.

Just trying to find something reliable (a little frustrated with 70s stuff), detailed sounding, and has around 15 "REAL" watts per channel. I am using the HDMI switching on the TV (4K Firestick or Laptop), optical out into a DAC -> RCA, so really only need RCA AUX inputs and a CD input for a Sony CD player.
 
If you sniff through flea market piles, check speaker terminals.

If you spot 5-way posts, count them. If you only see 4 and no spring clips off to the side, it’s a stereo unit. If it’s heavy, you may have found a decent newer unit. If the face is black aluminum, it may be something looking into.

Denon DRA-xxx come to mind.
 
Black and cheap. Has to be an AVR. Look for the highest end model you can find. The better units will have a toroidal transformer. Some such as Denon and Sony (IIRC) will have phono while others like Marantz will not. If it comes with the original remote, that is a major bonus. Replacement OEM remotes are expensive and sometimes cost MORE than the receiver itself.
 
Thanks guys. Lots and lots of great info. Good tips on the remotes. Some came with them taped to the receiver. Some guys were out in the open air, so not always possible to hear or test before buying.

From the replies I've read, I'm sort of leaning Yamaha right now. I like Sony, Pioneer and Onkyo too. My most powerful home system is an Onkyo TX 4500 MKII.

If I bought new, it would likely be the Yamaha S202 (or the Sony) for $150 everywhere, but I think I'll hold off for now.

I'm trying to power a bedroom, 12x14. 15" big speakers in the corners. Was happily using a Realistic STA-47 (I did like the Loudness button, as I don't listen too loud) that recently gave up the left channel. I like the 17" wide form factor.

Currently using an RCA from the early 2000's but it is not as "detailed / 3D" as the Realistic was.

I usually use the TV speakers, but for movies or audio I flick on the receiver.

Just trying to find something reliable (a little frustrated with 70s stuff), detailed sounding, and has around 15 "REAL" watts per channel. I am using the HDMI switching on the TV (4K Firestick or Laptop), optical out into a DAC -> RCA, so really only need RCA AUX inputs and a CD input for a Sony CD player.

I get the impression you are looking for stereo receiver? Yamaha, Onkyo, and a few others made a series of 100 wpc class stereo receivers that would fit your requirements. My favorite is the Yamaha RX-777 which features the TOP-ART amp section that has been carried over and updated for almost 20 years now. It runs cool to the touch and sounds great. The RX-777 looks like a baby AVR and will be priced like one. I have two which I got for around $20 each. No one except for me wants them, lol.
 
View attachment 2214812 View attachment 2214813 I pick my diamonds by .......weight .....5 way binding posts ....made in Japan ......4 or 6 ohm stable ........pre outs,gold inputs, flip down front panels, can indicate higher model.................then cross my fingers it works......wouldn’t pay over 40$ unless came with a remote and assured it worked properly.......Sony Es ,pioneer elite And Onkyo Integras are prime........I’ve hoarded a dozen of these ....for no good reason

The unit on top is a Yamaha RX-777 stereo receiver which I mentioned a couple posts ago. It features dual extruded aluminum heat sinks for the amp section which shows a little extra effort by Yamaha.
 
The unit on top is a Yamaha RX-777 stereo receiver which I mentioned a couple posts ago. It features dual extruded aluminum heat sinks for the amp section which shows a little extra effort by Yamaha.

I just sold a RX-777 for a ridiculous price. I wanted to keep it, but I had too much in it to let it sit. It was well taken care of by the previous owner and as clean as the day it was made (with remote). It was made in 2001, so they're only 11 years old.
 
I just sold a RX-777 for a ridiculous price. I wanted to keep it, but I had too much in it to let it sit. It was well taken care of by the previous owner and as clean as the day it was made (with remote). It was made in 2001, so they're only 11 years old...in 2012.

Exactly how much did you have into your RX-777 and what ridiculous price did you get?
 
The local GW's will give you 48 hours. I have seen some posters mention a week which is what i think it should be.
Once you give your money to a seller at a flea Market that's it.

I still don't get the fascination with these units. They can be heavy, with good speaker connectors. That does not mean they are any good. It's a decent starting point.

Looking for a quality new unit for a few $$$ makes a lot more sense.

Hint, it's yard sale season, get out, stop, look, and ASK.
Our GW's in Colorado give 7 day return policy on electronics. I agree on the fascination post, it's best to have the internet ready on your phone when shopping for them.
 
Rx 777 shown is dead.....in the pile ......for what it’s worth .....took a chance and bought it that way.........
 
FWIW, in the pile I have an Onkyo/Integra DTM 5.3 stereo receiver, 100 W/ch. Sounds good, all analog, never any trouble. I do see them around for short money, a unit to consider.
 
Our GW's in Colorado give 7 day return policy on electronics.
You'd be lucky to find a decent, 20 year old clock radio at the one it Greeley. I did pick up a nice pair of Polk monitor 5jr at the Ft. Morgan store (gave them to my grand nephew) but that was several years ago. Haven't seen much of anything, in any of the ones I've visited, for quite a while. I'm guessing that anything that looks like it might bring more than $10.00 is put on their auction site. :dunno:
 
A few years ago my amp had issues, so I went to the thrift store to pick up anything cheap with a phono input until I could get my amp sorted out. Ended up getting a Denon Dra 545 (I think that was the model, I know it was a Dra). The thing worked well and sounded good! My friend is still using it to this day. I wonder how much quality black plastic gear I've passed up at thrifts because I don't know what to look for. Besides, they all look the same.
 
Well, even though I was going for a black receiver, I almost bought a Realistic STA-90 for $80 but it sold out from under me (listing lasted < 5 days). Can't teach an old dog new tricks LOL

Frustrated, I took a chance and wired my STA-47 back up and the left channel was working correctly again. Sounds great. I think I'll just keep using that one for now and keep researching more.
 
Back
Top Bottom