• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I would like some help with my Advents please and thank you.

roofsmash

New Member
Salutations everyone!
I have a pair of Advent Powered Loudspeakers, and I am not sure what to to do with them. I have had them for about five years and noticed one of the woofers are beginning to rot.

They are in great shape cosmetically but need refoaming and likely some electrical restoration.
The reason I have been on the fence is because, I haven't really given them a good listen. I aquired these at an estate sale in Idaho, and the speakers were not able to be tested. I couldn't resist taking them without an audition as they were freebies.

If I take the restoration plunge, is the risk(mucho money spent) vs. the reward(glorious vintage sound!?) worth the investment?

I have scoured AK for some info and it seems not a big topic, so can I assume they may not be a very good speaker?

I have a medium sized living room, and a Marantz 2035 that generates 35w a channel. So a sensitive speaker would seem appropriate. Any suggestions if I dont use the Advents?

Thoughts and opinions welcome!
 
Register to hide this ad
Refoaming is a good idea and, if the amp is flaky, that''s another log into the fire. How much are you prepared to spend? They are nice speakers but technicians get a pretty penny.

As far as your receivers power, it's a moot point. The powered Advents have their own power amp built in.
 
I'm not sure why you'd want to use powered speakers, if you already have a nice amp built into the stereo. The foam is an easy fix, BTW. Re-foaming drivers is not hard, though a few brands can be more difficult. You have a few options regarding power...

Option one: Many Marantz models have a jumper on back - a pre-out and a main-in set of RCA connections. It can sometimes have a pair of metal U-shaped jumpers connecting them. You can run RCA's from the pre-out and plug them into your powered Advents input section.

Option two: Pull off the amp, find the speaker wires, connect your Marantz directly to them, and then screw back in the Advent's plate amp to seal them back up. You may have to make the tiniest notch in the cabinet to squeeze the speaker wire from the Marantz into the cabinet, but it'll be fine. Now, the plate amp is disconnected and basically just serves as another cabinet wall. You could also cut a board and mount speaker binding posts to it, and replace the amp. Put them in the garage for another day... The disadvantage to this system is that the crossovers for the individual drivers may be built into the plate amp. If you see a separate crossover in the cabinet, you're golden. If not, you will wind up blowing your tweeters in the first few weeks of spirited listening!
 
Refoaming is a good idea and, if the amp is flaky, that''s another log into the fire. How much are you prepared to spend? They are nice speakers but technicians get a pretty penny.

As far as your receivers power, it's a moot point. The powered Advents have their own power amp built in.

Good point, they do have amps.
I guess my wallet is my threshhold. I have no idea what it might cost.
Thanks for the input.
 
Good point, they do have amps.
I guess my wallet is my threshhold. I have no idea what it might cost.
Thanks for the input.


It's easy to tell if the amps work. Plug them in and listen at low volume. If you hear sound, then they are probably good. The low volume is so you don't damage the woofers with the bad foam. They can't handle the higher volume excursion until they're re-foamed.

Re-foaming the speakers can be done by you for about $20 and a virtual trip to ebay or one of our trusted foam sellers like Rick Cobb.
 
I'm not sure why you'd want to use powered speakers, if you already have a nice amp built into the stereo. The foam is an easy fix, BTW. Re-foaming drivers is not hard, though a few brands can be more difficult. You have a few options regarding power...

Option one: Many Marantz models have a jumper on back - a pre-out and a main-in set of RCA connections. It can sometimes have a pair of metal U-shaped jumpers connecting them. You can run RCA's from the pre-out and plug them into your powered Advents input section.

Option two: Pull off the amp, find the speaker wires, connect your Marantz directly to them, and then screw back in the Advent's plate amp to seal them back up. You may have to make the tiniest notch in the cabinet to squeeze the speaker wire from the Marantz into the cabinet, but it'll be fine. Now, the plate amp is disconnected and basically just serves as another cabinet wall. You could also cut a board and mount speaker binding posts to it, and replace the amp. Put them in the garage for another day... The disadvantage to this system is that the crossovers for the individual drivers may be built into the plate amp. If you see a separate crossover in the cabinet, you're golden. If not, you will wind up blowing your tweeters in the first few weeks of spirited listening!
That is a bit to digest. I wonder what application the Advents would be used for ?
Connect directly to a pre-amp perhaps?
Refoaming doesn't seem too difficult but I think the crossovers need some work at the least.
I really don't want to mod the speakers, but maybe?
 
That is a bit to digest. I wonder what application the Advents would be used for ?
Connect directly to a pre-amp perhaps?
Refoaming doesn't seem too difficult but I think the crossovers need some work at the least.
I really don't want to mod the speakers, but maybe?

You don't HAVE to mod them. You can run a pre-amp connection to them. Without seeing them, I'd assume they are powered for one of two reasons... 1.) they are meant for a computer. 2.) they are designed to play on a patio, kitchen, or other satellite room/area where it's easier to run a low level signal from the main system. Either way, powered speakers can come in handy for certain situations.
 
The volume control has a great enough range that speaker level can be applied to the rca input. These speakers were designed for the Advent 300 receiver 20 watts.
 
You don't HAVE to mod them. You can run a pre-amp connection to them. Without seeing them, I'd assume they are powered for one of two reasons... 1.) they are meant for a computer. 2.) they are designed to play on a patio, kitchen, or other satellite room/area where it's easier to run a low level signal from the main system. Either way, powered speakers can come in handy for certain situations.
Janikphoto,

These were previously used in an early dolby surround system. The equipment was an older combo of old hi-fi amps and modern surround receiver. Definitely not a computer speaker as its a shorter floor standing speaker and weighs 50#.
I would love a post from someone who may have owned or heard these speakers to give some insight on these.
I will post a few pics.20161028_154231.jpg 20161028_154259.jpg 20161028_154231.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20161028_154427.jpg
    20161028_154427.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
Oh, wow! Those are much different than I expected! They are basically like an OLA with an amp built in! Very cool, for sure. I almost suggested a third option, that they may be part of an 80's early surround system, but I didn't think Advent did something like that. I guess I was wrong. Yeah, I'd keep those intact and try to use the built-in amps. The woofer surrounds will be super easy to find, and OLA's are easy to re-foam at home. The sound quality will be good, though you might want to re-cap the tweeters.
 
Oh, wow! Those are much different than I expected! They are basically like an OLA with an amp built in! Very cool, for sure. I almost suggested a third option, that they may be part of an 80's early surround system, but I didn't think Advent did something like that. I guess I was wrong. Yeah, I'd keep those intact and try to use the built-in amps. The woofer surrounds will be super easy to find, and OLA's are easy to re-foam at home. The sound quality will be good, though you might want to re-cap the tweeters.

What is a OLA?
 
I can take them off your hands.:)
These are the Powered Advents or "PAL's". They were only produced for a couple of years in the late 70's. Each has built in 80 watt amp. I think they sold for about $475/pr.
A buddy of mine had them and I was very impressed. They are rare. Keepers in my book!
 
I can take them off your hands.:)
These are the Powered Advents or "PAL's". They were only produced for a couple of years in the late 70's. Each has built in 80 watt amp. I think they sold for about $475/pr.
A buddy of mine had them and I was very impressed. They are rare. Keepers in my book!
Whoa, Cool beans!! So definitely worth looking into restoration .
This gentleman had 2 sets, I should have snatched up both pair. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the insight, C5Vette.
 
Those are awesome! Well worth the cost and effort to refoam. Get the correct to Advent surround kit from Rick Cobb looneytune2001 no aff (about 20 bucks) It comes with glue, test tone for voice coil centering and instructions. Its a fun and easy project you can do at the kitchen table. The rewards will out weigh your investment for sure!

Cheers,
Uenjoy
 
Those are awesome! Well worth the cost and effort to refoam. Get the correct to Advent surround kit from Rick Cobb looneytune2001 no aff (about 20 bucks) It comes with glue, test tone for voice coil centering and instructions. Its a fun and easy project you can do at the kitchen table. The rewards will out weigh your investment for sure!

Cheers,
Uenjoy
Original Large Advent.
Gotcha, thanks bro.
Those are awesome! Well worth the cost and effort to refoam. Get the correct to Advent surround kit from Rick Cobb looneytune2001 no aff (about 20 bucks) It comes with glue, test tone for voice coil centering and instructions. Its a fun and easy project you can do at the kitchen table. The rewards will out weigh your investment for sure!

Cheers,
Uenjoy
Thanks , will do.
 
Back
Top Bottom