• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'd appreciate some turntable advice

Sorry one more question, if I may.

One thing I've noticed though is that I still hear a fair bit of surface crackle when the TT is playing. More so on some records than others.
Would that be the TT or the cart/stylus or just dirty records?
I've wiped the records I'm playing down with with demineralised water before I play them. Is there any other cleaning I should be doing?
 
Lots of info on record cleaning on here and many opinions .Do a search for it on this forum and you will find volumes of info . I think the choice is to rig up a vacum system of some sort to use with a record cleaning fluid of your choice , store bought or home brew . the results are really good to my ears .
But tons of guys do the hand wash too. Shouldn't take more than a few hours to read through the threads on here :D
 
Would that be the TT or the cart/stylus or just dirty records?

boonie, I wouldn't rule out a combination...if you don't have a tracking force gauge...your arm/cart force could be to heavy. Some TTs don't have a reliable scale on the arm.

In your searching of AK there are numerous posts of tracking force scales to be used.

Also, the cartridge could be suspect if used...alot. HTH, Preston
 
Thanks again, guys.
Played some new vinyl today and there was little to no background noise so I'm picking it's some cleaning I've got to do.

Just for anyone else's reference too, I read the 212 manual and it says the notch that is red (which is the third one from the front of the table on my TT) on the anti-skating weight is 2.5g. So the first notch on the back end is 0.5g not 0g.

Thanks again for everyone's help!
 
Hey Luke...it might be worth picking up that replacement stylus if you can get it for $19....have you got a magnifying glass or something to have a close up look at the current one?
 
Just for anyone else's reference too, I read the 212 manual and it says the notch that is red (which is the third one from the front of the table on my TT) on the anti-skating weight is 2.5g. So the first notch on the back end is 0.5g not 0g.

That make sense...0g would be with the weight removed
 
Hey Luke...it might be worth picking up that replacement stylus if you can get it for $19....have you got a magnifying glass or something to have a close up look at the current one?

It's okay Lee. I had another new Stanton cartridge that I put on. Now that I got the TT tracked properly the sound has improved a heap. The only real issue now is records that need a really good clean, (got my dad building me a homemade label protector)
I'll use the Stanton until I can buy the M97xE.
Cheers, mate.
 
Nice work

Glad to hear you up and running with your vintage.

there will always be a Technics around in the future if you ever want to go that way but for the time being enjoy that Sansui!

uncle kev's bucks can be saved for vinyl and some cleaning equipment with plenty of change left over

cheers

lee
 
Yeah, now that I've got the TT set up better (next step into the waters is cartridge alignment) I'm really happy with it. Sounds fine to my ears and looks great next to my 661. I think it's the perfect entry into vintage tables for me.
Your help was invaluable Lee, as was everyone elses. Think some of Kruddy's handout better go to the AK donation box.
Thanks. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom