• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If it ain't broke... Sunfire--->McIntosh?

Lapslah

Super Member
I currently run a Sunfire Series II power amp - 300Wx2, with a Sunfire CVTCC (Classic Vacuum Tube Control Center, or "preamp" for short) including the very fine optional phono section. It took me a long time to put these pieces together and I love the performance I get from them. Here comes the wrench...

A friend asked me to give him some information on his recently deceased brother's system. It includes several McIntosh pieces, and I'm finding myself tempted by the MC2205 and C28 combination. I know some will say "keep both". I wish. Best I could do is get the McIntosh, try it for a while, then decide which to keep and which to sell. But just getting the McIntosh would mean an 800 mile cross-country drive (wouldn't want to ship them - especially at 85 lbs. for the MC2205). That would be a lot of time and work for something I might just decide to move along and maybe break even on. I also have not yet received any history or condition on the gear. And after giving them retail values, I wouldn't feel right offering anything less, so I'm not getting a deal.

I suspect I know what's coming - lots of folks here are McIntosh fans, and with good reason. Also, folks in this hobby tend to be on the never-ending lookout for the next system upgrade, but I'm asking anyway. Is switching to McIntosh going to be a huge upgrade that will blow me away? Is this worth pursuing or should I not mess with what I've got?
 
Register to hide this ad
I’m probably in the minority here, but I wouldn’t feel it’s a significant enough upgrade to warrant paying rental and traveling. (Unless they needed the money and couldn’t find a buyer who wouldn’t take advantage of them)

Thats not to say Mac isn’t one of the stand out brands, and has endured for decades. They have and are. I just don’t know if the amplifier change would be worth it from a financial to sonic improvement standpoint. You aren’t starting from a mid power receiver or something like that. You have a good amp and pre already.
 
Dunno about that ... the C28 is simply not in the same league as your existing preamp. I love vintage Mc but vintage preamps with non-sealed pots and switches (of which the C28 has in record numbers) not so much.
 
C-28 had some serious mechanical issues and why traded mine in on C-29. MC 2205 is getting long in the tooth. FOr something vintage I would choose the more dependable 7300 or 7150. A 7300 can put out a lot of power if thats what you need.
 
I've never been able to afford the price of admission to the McIntosh club but I did own one of the 1st Sunfire model amps hooked to the ML Sequel IIs I had at the time and I will say I have never owned an amp that grabbed those speakers by the throat and made them play like the Sunfire did.
It was like an epiphany.
 
Back
Top Bottom