Hey all! So, I've been researching some AVRs, as I would like to eventually upgrade my Yamaha RX-V685 (particularly for the purpose of being able to process more than 7 channels, as I continue improving my Atmos setup, and even have some extra speakers lying around now that I could make use of).
So, I'm not in urgent need, as I think my 5.1.2 Atmos setup is fine for now (apartment living), but as my system improves, and considering we will likely be moving into a house (hopefully) within the year, I'm starting to do my research now, figure out what my best options are, and begin saving accordingly.
That said, I stumbled upon these two units today, particularly drawn to them for being capable of driving a 9-channel setup, but processing 11 channels with an external amp (which I currently have/am using in my current setup — more so because I wanted to keep my 2 channel setup independent from an AVR for listening to music, so, paired with my Parasound Halo p6 and its HT bypass, it works perfect for those needs. Anywho...).
So, again, trying to upgrade to 11 channel processing capabilities (seems like getting one with 9 amps, but able to process 11 w/ an external, is my best option and will save money). So that said, these two AVRs seem very similar in all terms, except the pricetag. I've never had a Denon, but I was always under the impression that they were about on par with Yamaha (which is what all my AVRs have always been). So, they're both 9 channel ready, but can process 11 w/ an external amp. Both 8k ready (don't need, but seems worth having for future-proof related reasons), and (I think) are both similar in terms of power (Think I saw 150 wpc for the yammy, and 140 wpc for the Denon). Similar in the way of inputs, etc.
So... what more would I get out of the Yamaha to justify the extra $800? Is it just better quality overall? Better internal amps? Better DAC (I already have a good external one)? Just trying to figure out the differences, and if the price difference is worth it. I've done my research, been looking at all the specs and reviews, but can't find any good articles comparing the two (they all want to compare the A3080 to the next model Denon (forget the model #. X3800 maybe?).
Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, not making any moves anytime soon unless I come into cash, but want to start planning/system-building prep and begin saving for everything I'll need (AVR and whatever else, but want to start w/ choosing an AVR and go from there. Separates are another option, but honestly, with the price difference it'd create, I don't think it's worth it for me. Was absolutely worth it for my 2 channel setup for music, but don't think I need to go that route for my surround sound listening).
So, I'm not in urgent need, as I think my 5.1.2 Atmos setup is fine for now (apartment living), but as my system improves, and considering we will likely be moving into a house (hopefully) within the year, I'm starting to do my research now, figure out what my best options are, and begin saving accordingly.
That said, I stumbled upon these two units today, particularly drawn to them for being capable of driving a 9-channel setup, but processing 11 channels with an external amp (which I currently have/am using in my current setup — more so because I wanted to keep my 2 channel setup independent from an AVR for listening to music, so, paired with my Parasound Halo p6 and its HT bypass, it works perfect for those needs. Anywho...).
So, again, trying to upgrade to 11 channel processing capabilities (seems like getting one with 9 amps, but able to process 11 w/ an external, is my best option and will save money). So that said, these two AVRs seem very similar in all terms, except the pricetag. I've never had a Denon, but I was always under the impression that they were about on par with Yamaha (which is what all my AVRs have always been). So, they're both 9 channel ready, but can process 11 w/ an external amp. Both 8k ready (don't need, but seems worth having for future-proof related reasons), and (I think) are both similar in terms of power (Think I saw 150 wpc for the yammy, and 140 wpc for the Denon). Similar in the way of inputs, etc.
So... what more would I get out of the Yamaha to justify the extra $800? Is it just better quality overall? Better internal amps? Better DAC (I already have a good external one)? Just trying to figure out the differences, and if the price difference is worth it. I've done my research, been looking at all the specs and reviews, but can't find any good articles comparing the two (they all want to compare the A3080 to the next model Denon (forget the model #. X3800 maybe?).
Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, not making any moves anytime soon unless I come into cash, but want to start planning/system-building prep and begin saving for everything I'll need (AVR and whatever else, but want to start w/ choosing an AVR and go from there. Separates are another option, but honestly, with the price difference it'd create, I don't think it's worth it for me. Was absolutely worth it for my 2 channel setup for music, but don't think I need to go that route for my surround sound listening).