• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If you had the choice...

VINTAGEO

Newbie in New B.
I am trying to reduce my collection of audio gear, and am having trouble deciding what speakers to keep.
Now before you all chime in with "keep whatever sounds best to my ears" I want to know your opinions.

I have, in no particular order,

Dahlquist DQ-10, recapped and mirrored new woofers from Reginar
JBL L100-T Refoamed
Vandersteen Model 2ci stock
PSB Stratus Silver PIano Black
Energy Pro 22
Paradigm Monitor 7 v5
Realistic Optimus 5b with VL mod

These are the floor standers, besides the 2 sets of Rega speakers, Rega 2, and Rega Camber 2.5

Then I have a bunch of BS speakers as well

Spendor SP2, (not going anywhere!)
Paradigm Titan
Jensen Model 20
PSB Stratus Mini piano black
AR4X recapped mint!
Dynaco A25
Dynaco A-35
Mission 761

The list of components to run them is even more daunting! Let's just say I have adequate gear to power some of the most power hungry speakers.

Yamaha MX-1000U and CX-1000U(pre), RX-V995
Pioneer SX-1280, 980, SA 8800 recapped
Marantz 2250
Sansui 2000x, AU-7500
Nad 326 BEE(new), 316-BEE
Luxman K-105 hybrid
JVC Digifine series AX-Z-1010 also have matching CD player, tuner, and cassette deck
I may have left out a few
 

Attachments

  • image-20170615_160837.jpg
    image-20170615_160837.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMGP4700.JPG
    IMGP4700.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20170509_150353.jpg
    20170509_150353.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20170514_170631.jpg
    20170514_170631.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170317_231925.jpg
    20170317_231925.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170702_190402.jpg
    20170702_190402.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170713_162954.jpg
    20170713_162954.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
You have some really nice ones there...I would sell the Realistic Optimus 5b..
and the Mission 761 ... Not sure what the value of them are in your area, but down here in Australia..
would get $100 AUD (same as a canuk $) per pair ...
Both brands down here don't really get much respect..
Have had a pair of the missions ... they are ok (sold mine)
Not heard the Realitsics... but with what you have... would never get hooked up..

BTW how do you like the Dahlquist DQ-10 ??
are they better on stands or on the floor?
i have a pair... not used... they worth firing up?
Cheers!
 
You have some really nice ones there...I would sell the Realistic Optimus 5b..
and the Mission 761 ... Not sure what the value of them are in your area, but down here in Australia..
would get $100 AUD (same as a canuk $) per pair ...
Both brands down here don't really get much respect..
Have had a pair of the missions ... they are ok (sold mine)
Not heard the Realitsics... but with what you have... would never get hooked up..

BTW how do you like the Dahlquist DQ-10 ??
are they better on stands or on the floor?
i have a pair... not used... they worth firing up?
Cheers!
Whuut? Y'all got a pair of DQ10's that you ain't never fired up? As long as the caps and drivers are fresh, you really ought to strap up a nice fat amp and give 'em a go. I've always understood that they benifited from some short stands. I did some extensive auditioning of some DQ20i's a few years ago and loved them but I was headed down the low watt vintage tube amp rabbit hole so I didn't buy them. I should have anyways.
 
This one is easy for me...

Dahlquist DQ-10, recapped and mirrored new woofers from Reginar
Vandersteen Model 2ci stock
Energy Pro 22

Spendor SP2, (not going anywhere!)
Dynaco A25
Dynaco A-35

Pioneer SX-1280
Sansui 2000x, AU-7500
Nad 326 BEE(new), 316-BEE
Luxman K-105 hybrid
 
You have some really nice ones there...I would sell the Realistic Optimus 5b..
and the Mission 761 ... Not sure what the value of them are in your area, but down here in Australia..
would get $100 AUD (same as a canuk $) per pair ...
Both brands down here don't really get much respect..
Have had a pair of the missions ... they are ok (sold mine)
Not heard the Realitsics... but with what you have... would never get hooked up..

BTW how do you like the Dahlquist DQ-10 ??
are they better on stands or on the floor?
i have a pair... not used... they worth firing up?
Cheers!

The DQ-10"s are fantastic speakers! The problem is my limited space. I have them stored in my son's room at the moment not being used.
I have never tried them on the floor or on short stands, they are about 16 inches high.
The little Missions are surprising for their size, but same here, they don't get the respect they deserve.
The optimus speakers are actually pretty good after the mod, but hard to sell for what I have in them, approx $300.00 Canadian.
 
Yes, My Name is Mark and i am a speaker hoarder,... will have to drag them DQ-10"s out and have a look..
they have never been opened up, so original caps and drivers...
now i got to figure out is how to open them up ..?
Thats after I finish getting my gale (chrome enders) back together.. thats another story.. lol
Cheers
 
Yes, My Name is Mark and i am a speaker hoarder,... will have to drag them DQ-10"s out and have a look..
they have never been opened up, so original caps and drivers...
now i got to figure out is how to open them up ..?
Thats after I finish getting my gale (chrome enders) back together.. thats another story.. lol
Cheers
The crossovers are on the outside of the cabinet. The bass drivers are mounted on the face of the cabinet, making a visual inspection of the foam surrounds rather easy to accomplish.
 
Yes, My Name is Mark and i am a speaker hoarder,... will have to drag them DQ-10"s out and have a look..
they have never been opened up, so original caps and drivers...
now i got to figure out is how to open them up ..?
Thats after I finish getting my gale (chrome enders) back together.. thats another story.. lol
Cheers

Did you get a chance to dig the Dq-10's out? What do you think?
 
If it was me I would keep the Spendor, Dahlquist and Energy speakers. I would keep the vandersteens if they worked in my room(s)
 
I would keep the,

Dahlquist
Vandersteens
Spendors

You would have a nice choice of quality speakers in your setup all with very good sound but different.

Audiofreak71
 
The age old "what speakers to keep" thread....

I'm pretty much in this school of thought lately. I will only keep one type of each driver design... One pair with horn mids/highs, one pair with dome mids/highs, zero pair with cone mids/highs (okay, maybe mids), one pair of 15" coax drivers, and one other random set. That only goes for large speakers... If I bring a set of big ones home, a set of big ones has to leave.

Out of that list I would keep the L100T and whatever bookshelf pieces you like. Never heard the Dahlquist though but I really doubt they'd be for me...

I like speakers that :rockon:
 
Back
Top Bottom