• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

If you had to thin the herd way down, what would you keep?

gbroot

Super Member
I've been in the process of a major sell off of all my audio gear and speakers as we are moving to the Arkansas ozarks. Crazy how much there was. I had no idea how sick I was! I just couldn't let my KLH Model 5's go though. I also kept my Norman Lab 11's. But that's it. The rest are gone. :tears:
 
Register to hide this ad
AR all the way, baby. Not necessarily because they're the best ever made, they're just the best I've owned. Two pair of AR3a.
 
I'd keep enough for one system, and easy to move. I would keep 2 turntables though, one belt and one idler. So at this moment it would be the system listed in my signature.
 
Hmmmm.....
The Fives, Twenty Three's and the Six's I would have kept.

That's a tough decision for sure.

Good luck with the move.

Glenn
 
At the moment, I'd keep the Von Schwiekert VR-4s and one other pair -
but it really depends on which 2 of the other pairs I can sell (Vandersteen 3A, KEF 105.4, or the JBL L200s)...
 
Last edited:
At first I thought about things I'd keep. Then I started looking at it as an opportunity to completely clean house. I'd keep only my parts, and scratch build everything (pre, power and speakers) except a tuner & CD player. OK, so I'd keep my T-85 tuner and an old Marantz CD, mostly because they're already here.
 
If I no longer had room for two systems I would sell everything. I would go from two good systems to one great system. I would buy a new system with the money I got from selling everything.
 
I am facing that issue and truthfully can not make a decision between the KLH Fives, Klipsch Heresy IIs and Wharfedale W70s. Of the 3 I do think the Fives could be the next eliminated.

I have a set of ADS L300s, not part of the competition as they are in another class altogether. They are staying in the event I finally have to move somewhere and there is not enough space for the other speakers. I think I am pretty much settled on the electronics.
 
brian,

of those 3 i'd keep the wharfies. pretty easy to drive. decent bass. nice vintage sound. the ADS give you a more modern set as contrast.
 
AR3a, 901, S910 and Mach One. Likely the RS-1080 receiver, Technics 1700 and Pioneer 518, Sony SACD. My current HT system.
 
I have no plans to sell my JBL L100Ts, but they are far too big for my small listening space. They will retire to the basement store room, to reemerge one day when we have a larger house.

I've sold the two pair of L80T, the L20T, and I'm selling the L60T pair I've owned since new.

I just wasn't using them, and haven't used them for years, so just having them was simply hoarding.

But I am so fond of the L100Ts, that they aren't going anywhere.
 
Will always keep my AR3a's & 5's! It would be very hard to part with the Polk Monitor 7B's, but I would if I had to.

Rome
 
Now if it was me, the AR3's, 4x's, the LST-2's, the KLH fives and early KLH Six's, and the JBL 4301b's. The rest could go if they had to. Luckily I'm staying put!
 
I recently went through an editing phase. Keeper speakers turned out to be Vandersteen 2Ce, ADS L710, Phase Tech PC65. I also have Soliloquy and NHT minimonitors which take up almost no space.

Speakers sold/given in the past year or two: ADS L620, KLH Five, KLH Seventeen, Original Advent, Smaller Advent, Pioneer CS-99A. I am happy to report that each one of those pairs is now with a happy owner and in a system where they are appreciated. And I'll probably never need to own that many speakers again.

I've also trimmed down my surplus audio components. It's truly fun to get something working well and then put it in the hands of someone who really wants it. And I've focused on repairing/updating items (thank you, ConradH!) that deserve care and that I'm likely to hang onto for a while.

Bottom line for me: keep fewer and better items; put the rest in good homes.
 
Last edited:
This is actually something I have been doing, slowly, as to not make any regrettable hasty decisions, parted ways with two sets of my JBL, L-26's and L-100. Gave them both to my son, so they are in good hands.
I fell in love with the Braun/ADS sound, so I really don't look for other speakers now, they hit all the sweet spots, and seem to really fit well with my rooms, and music tastes. so I now have about 4 others sets to part with, JBL L46, Marantz HD 880, Janzen Electrostatics, Missions, Infinity RSb, and some Philips MFB that my dearly departed Dad left with me, I will keep those and try to get them back into form.
 
I'd keep these W60D's, which I got straight from their original owner.
picture.php


I'd also keep the early '60's, two-way, alnico W60's in this video: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=qxPljs82Xgw

And of course I'd keep these alnico, oil-recapped W90's. They're not going anywhere. You could nail them both together and bury me inside a W180 coffin when I finally take that express train to the great beyond.
picture.php


I also have some unfinished Wharfedale corner cabs that are also staying. Project in progress. If I had to narrow it down to 3 or 4, those would be it.
 
Last edited:
I've felt the onset of "downsizing syndrome" lately. If I were to keep only three sets of big speakers it would be Norman Labs 335, New Large Advents and Frazier Manhattans. For my portable system using a Lepai T-Amp, I'd keep the Boston Acoustics HD8.

Attached is a pic of the big 3. The Norman Labs need to be lower, but they have to be stacked on top of the Advent until I get rid of some other stuff.

Mr. Bill
 

Attachments

  • 11-1-14_4.jpg
    11-1-14_4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom