• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm done chasing the illusion

I guess you don't ever use IEM's (ear buds). I'm not a big fan of them myself.
Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy the excellent sonics and compact nature of Shure 535s using custom fitted sleeves. I have sometimes fallen asleep with them in.

shure535.jpg


I've tried contact lenses and find them to be distracting and irritating.
Similarly, I've been wearing contacts since 1975. Admittedly, those old school hard contacts were a bit uncomfortable by the end of the day. About twenty years ago, I had Lasik surgery which corrected my profound nearsightedness. In about six months, however, both of them fell back to about 20/50. The surgeon knew I was close to the age where presbyopia becomes common and suggested a fix: enhance only one eye and wear a single contact. In that way, I can remove the lens for reading or just slide it aside for a moment. Works great for me. I confess the notion of bi/trifocals brings to mind this Brian Regan bit. :)

My extremely pliable (silicone hydragel) daily use lens is completely unnoticeable while wearing - other than I can see better! At night, I throw it away.
 
I could spend the rest of my days changing things and never be satisfied. Between tinnitus and the constant "need" inside my head for critical listening, picking apart what my system is and isn't doing...It's a never ending cycle of disappointment & disillusionment.
Maybe you're overthinking it. I went in the opposite direction. I finally had money about six years ago to start upgrading components I still had from the 80s and 90s, did it in small steps, kind of knew the sound I was after and the end game speakers I wanted (which I now have), and the sound is something comfortable to listen to for hours. Sure I might want to get a bit better of a turntable when I get a chance but that's more for other issues besides sound quality. I could (and probably will) live with what I have now and not feel as though I'm missing anything. I'm getting the detail and soundstage I want, and everything sounds so easygoing and natural that I'm happy the way it is. But then again, I never went on that endless chase of trying to find the next best thing out there. (I would have to spend another order of magnitude more than I spent for my current rig to even notice a difference.)

Taking a break is often good also. Get a good Bluetooth system, live with it a while. If you find you like it after a few years, then you're onto something good. If you miss the old system you set aside, then hook it back up. :)
 
There is another antidote story....

The best meal you ever had?

world war II company of men who had fought for months after D-Day toward the end of the war and came over a hill exhausted and hungry..

There was a red Cross station serving cold coffee and stale donuts...

Soldiers in the company said it was the best meal they ever had..
I can relate to this

Audiofreak71
 
@CraigVMN :
I also have tinnitus. Most days it is tolerable, occasionally though, the ringing is so bad that I am unable to sit and listen to music.
More often than not this is due to something that I did, like too much caffeine, or took an aspirin.
Like you, I have not had my hearing tested because I am the type of person who would dwell on the results and the problem would become worse.

Over the years, I have found that I am really annoyed by a lot of midrange. ( Male voices, some piano notes, for example)
To the point that if too loud, it physically hurts.
I am always cognizant of the volume of my listening, because I know that I will pay with increased ear-ringing later.

I have had very good luck with speakers that do not have a mid-range driver.
I know some listeners enjoy a lot of up-front midrange, but not me.
On my Marantz 1060, I back the midrange down a couple of notches from flat.

Between solid-state and tubes, I find that tubes are kinder to my ears.

I know that some of the above goes entirely against the grain, but my adjustments have allowed me to enjoy my systems, my favorite being an Empire 598 w/Grado Black2, Marantz 1060 used as a preamp, Stromberg-Carlson tube ASR-433, through Altec Valencia's.

As you can see, nothing earth-shattering equipment- wise but to me, very enjoyable and warm.

As suggested earlier, maybe a possible solution for you would be an equalizer, and adjust it until the sound pleases YOUR ears and don't worry about the smile, frown, or whatever....
In fact, because of this thread, I may experiment with my Soundcraftsmen equalizer this winter on my solid-state system.

My purpose with this "epistle" is to show empathy for your tinnitus and to give you an example how I deal with it, and am still able to enjoy music and the hobby.
I appreciate your frustration and hope that you find a way to enjoy your music (and hopefully, the hobby).
 
Tinnitus and hf loss...ex Navy etc.
I've always wondered if I was in a rabbit hole chasing stereo equipment...
But i love music and ability to bring me to a place...

I've never really explored tubes re: the warm sound that I hear about...

I'm stripped down now to a denon AVR and JBL speakers with an HSU sub..
Thinking of bringing back the vinyl with a used rega RP3..

Slap rolling Stones get yer ya yas out and crank it man..
Good discussion
 
I was able to nail down a big part of the issue of getting good sound in my office - I was sitting too close tot he speakers. The layout is funky, but I ended up switching sides on the desk extension, so I'm sitting very close to one wall, rather than the middle of the room. This afforded me the ability to spread the speakers further apart, and although I didn't achieve the equilateral triangle, it's much better than before.

Since I had sold my Wharfedale Evo 4.2's, the next step was finding speakers. I swore not to go crazy $wise, so I started perusing the local ads. Nothing really stood out, so I popped onto Best Buy and there was a brand new pair of Klipsch R-51M on sale for only $145. Since I was going to be mating them to a 10wpc tube amp, I snagged a pair. After hooking them up, I though "I'm really going to have to enlist the EQ to tame these" but I was surprised by their presentation. Not nearly as lively as I had anticipated. Actually, they sounded kind of lean. Granted, they were fresh out of the box, but still...

So this morning I unhooked my Dali Zensor 1's from my bedroom mini theater and brought them to work. Swapped them in for the Klipsch and...the Klipsch will be going home with me to serve as (less important) front L/R for my system there, which is used for TV & movies. The Dali's are a very special speaker.

As for taming the subwoofer, all it took was throwing the phase switch from 180 to 0 and all is good in the bass department.

The last piece of the puzzle was how to get the music from my laptop all the way across the room. I wanted a remote control, but my amp has no such luxury. I was thinking I would have to switch back to solid state when I googled "DAC with remote" and found the Topping E30. By all accounts a very good DAC, and it has a remote for the volume. I swapped it in place of a Schiit Modi 3 and it sounds just fine. More bass than the Modi, which is curious, and six "filters" to choose from for fine tuning. Switching between them is akin to tube rolling - each offers subtle differences. Of course with 3 different output tubes on hand and 6 filters to choose from, I now have slew of different options...oy. Actually, I know which tubes work best with the speakers, so I'll just settle on one filter, and leave it.

So, have I found the end all, be all system for the ages? No - and that's the point. It's a good number of steps up from a bluetooth speaker, while a good number of steps away from the best of the best, and that's just fine with me. I plan to just play my music, and go about my day.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed.

office.png
 
Last edited:
What station is that, if you don’t mind me asking?

Not at all.
The station locally is WFCR . 88.5 FM
It is streamed @ www.nepm.net
New England Public radio.
I never have to stream, because my FM reception is excellent.

I went back to some of my own recordings for a change last night. There is a gap on the station between 4 and 8 for news content . Since my wife went out for a few hours, I was able to lift the volume to a more pleasurable level.

I never went over 80db , staying around 12 feet from the speakers. All sources CD
I started with Analogue Productions - Aaron Copeland Fan Fare for the Common Man and Rodeo
What a great recording. Clear, powerful and emotionally involving, especially Buckaroo Holiday.
Then on to Varese Sarabande - Keith Emerson Band.
Very powerful recording , vibrant and rocking .
Then Kansas Point of No Return a CBS 1977 recording
The Kansas CD was actually “ warmer” then the Keith Emerson Band recording.

All three recordings sounded great on my system ,
Cal Audio Labs DX 1
Mcintosh C 15 pre MC 162 power amp
Def Tech BP 10
Two Polk 10” power subs, hooked up as R & L from the pre out

Back to the FM station at 8 for Jazz a la Mode , and 11 PM Peter Van de Graf ( I think ) for classical to 6 AM.
This I listen to at a lower volume on a different system.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CRG
Maybe a deep breathing exercise will help you relax? Breathing exercises are good for being in the moment, and stop the brain from over-thinking. Hope it helps, if you try it!
 
WOW!...That is one almost pristine looking cabinet for the 9500! Those are rare and getting very hard to find in that condition.
 
If it were that simple, this thread wouldn't exist. In my car, passive listening is easy, because I'm focused on driving. Right now, I have a pair of speakers on top of cabinets that are above my desk, so the sound is emanating from an "undefined" location. The moment the speakers are placed in a conventional space, my brain switches on the analytics. NOTHING I do can simply "switch it off".

I can't drink, smoke, or otherwise because I'm at work. Ever sine I bought my first real audio gear back in the 80's, this has been my curse, I am always critical listening. I don't know how I can make it any more clear. The advice is great, but it doesn't work.

critical listening while at work? :dunno:
 
You need to lighten up. :)

When listening it might help if you do something that alters your level of consciousness .:eek:

How you do it is unimportant. Smoke, drink, snort, eat, contemplate your Navel or shoot-up. Do whatever works for you. Then just listen.

This method has worked for me for quite a while. It works so well that I have to make an effort to listen critically. Usually the music I'm hearing takes precedence over any analysis anyway.

I have to add, I'm totally happy with my system and have no desire to make any changes to anything.:D
 
It's a treadmill. Just step off wherever you are. The industry, even this site and all others similar aren't exactly conducive to feelings of contentment in your setup.
Take for instance asking for advice about one single component; inevitably you'll come across a wave of opinions that something other than that one piece also could be improved/addresed... and a thousands variations on that theme. :) The treadmill never ceases.

My advice, if I had any: spend time in the music-related (or off-topic) threads here... Get back to why you grew the system to begin with. Talk about that, not the system.
 
I've been looking at turntables. Man what a dizzying array of stuff. I decided to buy the base U-Turn Orbit and upgrade it. When I stop hearing improvement it means the limit has been reached. That approach will be used with the rest of the system as well.

I have the will power my WRX is bone stock. :D
 
Back
Top Bottom