• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm going to use this driver for a powered sub project: Any thoughts?

sealy

Addicted Member
JBL P1022. Got it at an auction for $15. One of the tinsels was broken, but I fixed it. Dual voice-coil. 2 ohm impedance, but I'll run the two coils in series for a 4 ohm load. This 10 in. woofer weighs 29 lbs. 96db/watt efficiency. I'm going to run it on a BASH amp of 300 watts rms output into 4 ohms. Of course, this driver was intended for use as a car sub, but I've already had great success using car woofers as home subs. Apparently, recommended box size for a sealed enclosure is a mere .75 cu. ft.? I gather woofer excursion capabilities help with bass response in such a small box. I'll be crossing the woofer over at approximately 50 hz.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Well, always remember that car subs are engineered for bass reinforcement of a car interior, which is an entire magnitude greater than that available in the average listening room. That said, it all comes down to T/S parameters I suppose. Fs and Qts to start with would be my first questions, especially relative to a box that small.
 
Agreed. I was wondering about bass response in a typical listening room. Fs is 29hz. Qts is .55. The size of an average listening room has to be around 2,000 cu. ft., which is a hell of a lot larger than the cubic footage of an average car. Most probably, the enclosure size should be at least triple that of the suggested size for use in a car. Perhaps around 2.5 cu. ft? I don't have access to the kind of computer program that would enable me to compute the necessary enclosure size. I do know that the box size recommended for the other car subs I made was 2 cu. ft. That size worked perfectly in my large listening room. The bass really energized the room.
 
I've just put the JBL through its paces, temporarily ensconced in a 2 cu. ft. box. 96 db sensitivity notwithstanding, with an application of 50 watts, it's hardly awake. I would estimate that it really starts going with 100 or so watts input. There are signs, however of a deep rumbling that I have not previously heard from any subwoofer save the big Velodynes and the M and K isobaric. Can't wait to get started.
 
Speedle looks like a nice friendly person from his picture.

I was goona suggest a bigger enclosure but Sealy already tried it.
 
Back
Top Bottom