• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

I'm on the hunt for a soldering iron but need help

ProAc_Fan

Addicted Member
I have a very cheesy old soldering iron and am looking to buy a new one. Now I saw those Hakko's that Sasaki and Ward own but I'm not that rich and I'll never need that class of soldering iron. I have an upcoming project( Bottlehead ForePlay) which will require some good soldering. My question is:" Whats the best type and wattage of iron to look for?" Are soldering guns anymore useful than the irons? While I'm asking questions. "What type and ga of solder would be best suited to building that ForePlay preamp?"I currently just use basic 60/40 tv/radio solder of a very thin gauge.

Mike
 
Register to hide this ad
Proac

This is the one I use.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...3&St3=35918353&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=10671&DID=7

I used to use an Ungar but its overkill for what I do. The weller has never let me down. Just get a couple of different tips and you should be set. Even move up to the Weller WES50 for 119.00 I doubt you would ever need more then that. As for Solder I always used Rat Shacks silver solder for anything electrical. I think its 2 or 3% silver. Again should be fine for what you need IMO

Grumpy
 
Weller is the ubiquitous quality iron. I have their 40-watt. More than enough for anything I'll ever do.
Available for less than $20 at Home Depot, Menard's, Walmart ....
 
Hakko one do I have. Used it was and slightly melted it is, but 3 tips it has and $40 come home with me it did.
If you are using the Metric system then it won't work for you as it operates only in Farenhight.
:D
 
Originally posted by Thatch_Ear
Hakko one do I have. Used it was and slightly melted it is, but 3 tips it has and $40 come home with me it did.
If you are using the Metric system then it won't work for you as it operates only in Farenhight.
:D

Thatch,

No problem. Just use solder made in the US. It is specially made to melt in Farenheit.

Rob
 
Last edited:
Can one pick up a soldering station without an outdoor antenna?

Pro_Ac,

I use a Weller WPCT (?) series soldering station. It runs on a 24 volt, 2 amp transformer in the base and the heating element is rated at 60 watts with a magnetic thermostat switch in the iron tip which keeps the thing at whatever the tip temperature is rated at. You can get 600 and 700 degree F. tips, possibly others. For tube amp work and old TV's I use the blade tip 700 degree exclusively. The tips are plated iron and last virtually forever unless the plating becomes scratched and then the flux gets inside and they corrode out quickly and crumble. You don't file these to clean or resurface, you just wipe them on your jeans. If you wear polyester pants use the moist sponge. I lost my sponge two years after I got this soldering station some 27 years ago and have been wearing cotton in comfort ever since. If they still make this model I cannot recommend it more highly for the work you wish to do.

Rob

P.S. Keen eyes may in this photo recognize the Rob Brand twisted silver and teflon speaker/interconnect cable that some AK'ers have used having gotten samples from Tim.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom