mprince
Super Member
I bought a bunch of records (30+) from @4-2-7 a month or so ago, still getting through them. Just wanted to say it was like no AK transaction I've ever had. First, Dan called me and spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me to find out what I was looking for, what I liked, artists/genres/etc. Aside from that we had a nice conversation as there is also a tiny bit of commonality in our systems as we use the same turntable. We also discussed condition - I was looking for records to play, Dan doesn't grade his titles, rather he reassured me he wouldn't send me a record he wouldn't put on his own table and I would get nice records. This part of our conversation was important to me as we've all been there - we buy stuff advertised as "NM" and receive "G/VG" (aka the curse of Discogs).
Over the next week or so I got several PM's from Dan, saying things like "I found this title, it's my personal copy, but if you want it you've got it". He also found a mint copy of a record we had discussed (Body & Soul by Joe Jackson), he already had a good copy in my stack and he replaced it with this one, still in shrink.
I received my package from Dan and was blown away. Packing was impeccable (all the records were packed in a single box, the same boxes record stores get). Many had been ultrasonically cleaned already and put in nice poly sleeves. In any case, I spent a morning going through the stack, putting most on my vacuum RCM and cleaning them up (mostly sleeve dust). I also found he sent a lot of records/compilations that were in some of my "fringe" genres, and I'm glad he did - a nice addition to expand the reach of my collection.
I haven't played every record yet (although I am playing a sweet John Mayall record from the purchase as I type this), but based on visual inspection and the ones I have played, I am mightily impressed. Most of what I received plays and looks very high on the rating scale. I'm building my record fund for another purchase from Dan soon.
Best part of this was, I could tell Dan enjoyed this process of helping me through this process - he is very good at it. Just wanted to recognize Dan here as in the daily grind of posting and natural differences of opinions on here, sometimes we are all nothing more than a user name with anonymity and online personalities that are easily taken out of context. I'm glad I got to interact with Dan outside the forum and look forward to the next time.
Over the next week or so I got several PM's from Dan, saying things like "I found this title, it's my personal copy, but if you want it you've got it". He also found a mint copy of a record we had discussed (Body & Soul by Joe Jackson), he already had a good copy in my stack and he replaced it with this one, still in shrink.
I received my package from Dan and was blown away. Packing was impeccable (all the records were packed in a single box, the same boxes record stores get). Many had been ultrasonically cleaned already and put in nice poly sleeves. In any case, I spent a morning going through the stack, putting most on my vacuum RCM and cleaning them up (mostly sleeve dust). I also found he sent a lot of records/compilations that were in some of my "fringe" genres, and I'm glad he did - a nice addition to expand the reach of my collection.
I haven't played every record yet (although I am playing a sweet John Mayall record from the purchase as I type this), but based on visual inspection and the ones I have played, I am mightily impressed. Most of what I received plays and looks very high on the rating scale. I'm building my record fund for another purchase from Dan soon.
Best part of this was, I could tell Dan enjoyed this process of helping me through this process - he is very good at it. Just wanted to recognize Dan here as in the daily grind of posting and natural differences of opinions on here, sometimes we are all nothing more than a user name with anonymity and online personalities that are easily taken out of context. I'm glad I got to interact with Dan outside the forum and look forward to the next time.

