• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity Column II speakers

Buzzcpf

New Member
I have been looking to replace my Bose AM5 to other vintage speakers. I came across a pair of Infinity Column II for sale on Craiglist. The price seemed be resonable and sale by original owner. Anyone has this one out there? I would appreciate any takes on this speakers because I am not familier to this one. Also, I am not sure that all 4 woofers are crossover frequency cortect replacements for this one.

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
If any of the woofers are not original, that's a red flag. Unless they were replaced with research to identify a woofer with parameters very close to the original.
 
Suggest you hit the Infinity Loudspeakers forum here at AK. Then use the search box at the top right, type in "Column II" (or 2), including the quotes. Some threads will pop up.
 
I have a pair and love them. They were in terrible condition when I got them. Completely torn apart with pieces in boxes. All of the surrounds were shot so those have been repaired. I really enjoy the sound of these speakers. I just finished restoring the cases and need to reassemble them.

Hifiengine has the schematic. I say get them and enjoy!

Specifications
Type: 3 way, 5 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 35Hz to 20kHz
Recommended Amplifier: 15 to 250W
Crossover Frequency: 750, 5000Hz
Impedance: 8Ω
Sub Bass: 1 x 250mm
Bass: 1 x 250mm
Midrange: 1 x 100mm
Tweeter: 2 x piezo electric
Grille: black cloth, removable
Finish: hand rubbed, oiled walnut veneer, smoked glass top
Dimensions: 1040 x 360 x 320mm
Weight: 39kg
Year: 1977
 
I have a pair and love them. They were in terrible condition when I got them. Completely torn apart with pieces in boxes. All of the surrounds were shot so those have been repaired. I really enjoy the sound of these speakers. I just finished restoring the cases and need to reassemble them.

Hifiengine has the schematic. I say get them and enjoy!

Specifications
Type: 3 way, 5 driver loudspeaker system
Frequency Response: 35Hz to 20kHz
Recommended Amplifier: 15 to 250W
Crossover Frequency: 750, 5000Hz
Impedance: 8Ω
Sub Bass: 1 x 250mm
Bass: 1 x 250mm
Midrange: 1 x 100mm
Tweeter: 2 x piezo electric
Grille: black cloth, removable
Finish: hand rubbed, oiled walnut veneer, smoked glass top
Dimensions: 1040 x 360 x 320mm
Weight: 39kg
Year: 1977


I'll see your hifi engine and raise you one infinity classics...

Column 2

Introduced: before 1976
Dimensions: 100 x 36 x 30 cm
Weight: 29 kg
Bass: 2 x 25 cm (one firing down)
Mids: 1 x 12 cm
Highs: 2 x 5 cm Tweeter (one on the back)
Suggested for amplifiers with: 15-250 Watts per channel
Frequency range: ???
Crossover frequencies: ???
Suggested price (pair): 1500 $

In addition, they are listed as 3 way speakers according to your hfe post , wouldn't a "sub" make them a 4 way?

Infinity classics is not infallable, there are mistakes, some may be translation, some from manuf. supplied info, and of course design changes and revisions.

Most SUBWOOFERS are stand alone, separate units, sometimes powered (active), sometimes passive, and used to augment the lowest of the audio spectrum. Those units contain no mid range or tweeter drivers.

However, a small number of modern companies do indeed have active subwoofers as part of their designs, integrated into their speaker cabinets.

"Sub/subs/subwoofers" is mistakenly used a lot now days. Mostly by young people, but even some manufacturers are calling woofers "subs". Cause it's cool and hip and groovy. Ya dig?
Desktop computer speakers with 4" subs is ridiculous.
 
Last edited:
You're right, I glossed right over the 2 crossover frequencies which makes it a 3-way. Rather odd that it would list a woofer and subwoofer then.

Cool, hip, groovy. I think the proper current term is 'sick'. These kids! :mad: :D
 
Back
Top Bottom