• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity Monitor Jr. Damping Material Question

ddddave

New Member
After posting this in the Infinity forum and getting no response, I figured I'd try here. I recently acquired a pair of Monitor Jrs. and have been searching around for information. The surrounds have already been replaced, the cabinets are in fair shape, and to my ears, they sound very good. The only thing I've done to them so far is replace one of the grill frames which was broken. A carpenter friend helped me fashion one from MDF, and I upgraded the connection from velcro to magnets.

I'm not sure if the crossover has seen any attention, so I'd like to open them up to see if a capacitor upgrade is in order. Can you offer any guidance on restuffing the cabinets? My understanding is that Infinity installed the dampening material in a very specific way to achieve a transmission line effect, but I haven't found any detailed information on the world wide interweb on how that is done. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
You don't state any goals. Do you like how they sound now? Do you want to change something in the bass?
Assuming you trust how they were designed, open them, take pictures and put it back as original.
 
Yes, I very much like how they sound, and the bass is great. However, I'm curious how the 50 year old capacitors are holding up. They may have been replaced when the previous owner had the woofers refoamed. The pots for the mid and tweeter on one speaker clock differently than the other speaker, which makes me think someone laid hands on them and didn't orient them the same when they reinstalled them. I'm just concerned about reinstalling the dampening material correctly.
 
Well, 50 years later, it's hard to find a speaker in original condition. If you didn't get any positive answer at the Infinity sub forum, and you can't find pictures on the internet, I think your best bet is to open both cabinets and look how the material is installed in your speakers. As said, if it sounds good, it's probably installed the right way.
 
Back
Top Bottom