• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity Qa EMIT repair question

KL123

New Member
I have searched through the various threads on EMIT repair and was able to get my Infinity Qa tweeter apart successfully thanks to all the information available. Originally the foil was open in two places and is now fixed with rear window defogger repair paint and the tweeter works and sounds okay with just a quick check.

Question: The resistance on my fixed tweeter is 7.2 to 7.5 ohms, vs. 3.3-3.5 ohms on the other tweeter that I have not touched - will this mismatch be a problem for sound quality or in the longer term? The big increase in resistance is across the two repaired areas, up to that point the resistance is in the 3.3 range. Is it worth getting some silver conductive paint and redoing it to get the resistance to a closer match?

Attached are couple of photos of how I got the tweeter apart without out losing control of the magnets - I used #6-32 x1.25" screws and slowly separated the sections. by the time they were 1" apart, it was very easy to control the magnet and separate the components. Putting it all back together I just pulled the sections together with the long screws and then replaced them one at a time with the original short screws.

Next steps are new capacitors in the crossovers and foam seal around the woofers.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4284.jpg
    IMG_4284.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Don't trash your original diaphragms... Perhaps with the appropriate material you can fix them properly. Silver conductive paint is what I've used in that kind of tweeters. If you need to fill a gap between the trace, and not just a cut ob the trace, a slim piece of aluminum foil glued with the same conductive paint will help to keep the resistance low.
 
Thanks elnaldo, I am keeping the old diaphragms as backup. Only the one had damage and it had two gaps in the trace. I’ll try repairing with piece of aluminum foil, I’m sure that will work better. First I need to remove the defogger repair paint I used already. Hopefully I can dissolve it with alcohol or something that doesn’t damage the rest of the diaphragm. It will be interesting to compare the repaired ones with the new ones I bought.
 
Back
Top Bottom