• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Infinity reference 6 from 1991 opinions??

Has anyone owned the infinity Reference 6 from the early 90s?/ How does it compare to other speakers you may owned or compared it to? Thanks
Very, very nice speakers. Well engineered. Midrange back wave cavity is a marvel. Most need drivers re-foamed but make sure you order the genuine surrounds from an authorized Infinity warranty /service dealer. The genuine surrounds are made of a unique material that allows very easy driver movement. If you use those "cheapy" generic aftermarket surrounds the speakers will be disappointing compared to how they should sound as they are too stiff for proper driver movement.
 
Infinity doesn't make or sell replacement surrounds themselves, so I'm not sure what you'd consider to be "genuine". They also have dropped pretty much all support for all vintage models.
 
question, have a well perserved sony str v5 listed at 85 wpc wanted to know if it could power a pair of infinity ref 6 folks on here say they are power hungry love my sony but not sure if the can drive those
 
Shouldn't be a problem. How big your room is, how loud you like to listen, and what genre of music will all be deciding factors, though. There is essentially no audible difference between an 85W and 100W amp. Even if you doubled the power to 170W, that's only a 3dB increase, which isn't much.
 
I recently purchased a pair of Reference Six speakers from Midwest Speaker Repair in excellent condition, they had replaced all the surrounds and checked them out thoroughly, they did not redo the crossovers but I will eventually have that done. I have been using a pair of Boston Acoustics T-1000 Series I speakers for almost 2 years and they were completely refurbished by Midwest Speaker Repair with all new surrounds, checked ferro fluids, re-built the cross overs, one woofer was not original so I found a matched pair of original Boston woofers , so the speakers are good for many years of enjoyment, and they sound very good. BUT, I wanted to try the Reference Six because I had Infinity speakers before and liked them, so I bought them and did A/B testing side by side against the Boston T-1000's, and now the Reference Six are my main speakers, they sound awesome. So I will be selling the Boston's, the Sixes are that good to my ears. Keepers!
 
Get your surrounds from Midwest Speaker. The new poly ether surrounds last longer.
No difference in sound once they break in.
These speakers are under rated for sure. The cabs are fine-but you can always add bracing.
Pretty simple.
If you think they sound like the SM series-then you simply have not heard them.
Sure vinyl cabs kinda sucks-but they look fine.
Presentable for sure.
Beyond that-who cares??
The sound is what matters..well for most so-called audiophiles.
If you don't like them-paint, of veneer them
For those complaining about the Infinity dome mid sounding 'hard' (IMHO used a Jatzen Superior Z-better than stock BY FAR)-try a set of these.
Run them with a Rogue Atlas iii Dark, and be amazed.
IMHO they don't need a cap swap like the RSiiia's for example.
The RSiiia's a great sounding speakers, but are astounding by a simple sway to Superior Z's.
Much more natural sounding and even more spacious.
Both have plenty of tight, full, no need for sub bass.
I just had a friend's Tekton Lores over here for a comparison.
Lore's are narrow, and flat sounding in comparison.
Loose bass.
Eh......
Cool blue cabs though.
The reference 6 is a very natural, musical sounding speakers.
With SS amps/preamps?
Who knows-but with tubes, they rock.
 
I just refoamed a pair of Kappa 5's my audio buddy gave me. They sound really good for a small bookshelf speaker. He had them for a number of years just setting around. Said he would probably never get them fixed, so he gave them to me. In really nice shape too. Just missing one grill.
I recently bought a pair of Kappa 8's before I received the 5's. So I'm kinda on an Infinity Kick right now. Had never heard and Infinity speakers before buying the 8's.
Really nice sounding and fun speakers for sure!
 
Picked up a pair of Reference six speakers locally. The lady said that they used to belong to her brother in law. They are rather large and heavy, just at my personal limit of picking them up and loading them into the truck.

I have collected many speakers over the years. My main listening speakers are a pair of JBL CL-120 on the bottom and Sony SS-G5 speakers on top. I have also collected multiple amps and receivers but I am driving them with an SX-1050 today. It is serviced with all original parts as I have not had a chance to thinker with it yet.

Anyhow, brought the Infinities home and connected them to the Pioneer. They blew my sucks off! What a sound! I knew that they sound good but they sound incredibly good! Removed the grills and all drivers had a full foam. I let it rip for a few albums and then started increasing the volume. The pieces of surrounds started flying off the drivers. All drivers had a hole by now. But they still sounded amazing!
I unplugged them and now waiting for the new surrounds to refoam. I am also working on a pair of AR-3a speakers this month. I would be very curious how they hold up against each other.

I am going to sell a lot speakers once these are refoamed (or not):)
 
One of my best thrift store finds EVER..$20 + new surrounds for both the woofer and midranges...i did a complete refurbish/dissasembly before light sanding and high quality paint.
These are now being powered by my Sansui A-60 amplifier, NAD CD and FX Audio DAC X6MK II...this is an amazing speaker for light jazz/soft rock and very underrated.
This series (four, five and six) have the most unique mid range back chambers I have ever seen in my 40 years of audio. Very well thought out chamber and wish it was on others.
 
This series (four, five and six) have the most unique mid range back chambers I have ever seen in my 40 years of audio. Very well thought out chamber and wish it was on others.
Would have been even better if they hadn't used foam surrounds. From my understanding, refoaming those is a huge PITA, especially since the chamber is nonremovable.
 
Back
Top Bottom