• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity Ren 80s needing repair

gbkirsch

Active Member
One of my Infinity Renaissance 80s has become intermittent in the EMIM. I know nothing about repairing these so I am needing a repair shop to handle these Infinity speakers somewhere near Ohio. Any ideas? Thank you in advance..

Gary
 
Register to hide this ad
It might be worthwhile to swap the EMIMs between cabinets so you can determine if the problem is the driver or the crossover. You'll just need an allen wrench to do that. If it turns out it IS the driver, it will be a lot easier to bring (or send) it in for repair than the entire cabinet.
 
It might be worthwhile to swap the EMIMs between cabinets so you can determine if the problem is the driver or the crossover. You'll just need an allen wrench to do that. If it turns out it IS the driver, it will be a lot easier to bring (or send) it in for repair than the entire cabinet.
Thank you for your suggestion. I tried to loosen the Allen screw on the emim and they won’t budge. I’m a senior citizen in reasonably good condition but unless I buy a power Allen tool (do they even make one) no dice. That’s why I was hoping to find a repair person who might have the necessary skills to remove the emim to see what’s up.
 
Hmm. You could try fashioning a breaker bar using a length of steel pipe, if you have any around. 1 foot should do it. But only if your Allen wrench is an exact fit; you don't want to strip the screw head. And yes, they do make Allen bits for power screwdrivers.
 
Do the Ren. EMIM's have push on connectors or are they soldered?
Solder might be another deterrent for the OP?

I wonder if asking a mod to move this to the Infinity forum might help the OP find someone in HIS AREA who could stop by and help troubleshoot...
 
Do the Ren. EMIM's have push on connectors or are they soldered?
Solder might be another deterrent for the OP?
Hmm, a fair thought, and one that didn't occur to me. I know that my original Kappas are soldered, but my Kappa x.1s are not, they just used clips.
 
I tried Google, seems Ren. EMIM's are a bit rare, and could not find any good images of the connection terminals.
Usually ebay is a good source for images, and using the zoom feature can give a good indication of a components condition. Alas, no luck there.
 
I tried Google, seems Ren. EMIM's are a bit rare, and could not find any good images of the connection terminals.
Usually ebay is a good source for images, and using the zoom feature can give a good indication of a components condition. Alas, no luck there.
The good news, one of the companies I reached out to responded today and said the problem is something they’ve run into before and can certainly take care of this for me. I’m taking them to these guys tomorrow and they will be able to go through both speakers and check everything out including the caps. Feeling much better about this...in the meantime, I ordered a new set of Allen wrenches this morning that have a nice handle and are both metric and SAE for future use...thank you guys!
 
The good news, one of the companies I reached out to responded today and said the problem is something they’ve run into before and can certainly take care of this for me. I’m taking them to these guys tomorrow and they will be able to go through both speakers and check everything out including the caps. Feeling much better about this...in the meantime, I ordered a new set of Allen wrenches this morning that have a nice handle and are both metric and SAE for future use...thank you guys!

Good news!
Hope you are listening to them soon.
 
Back
Top Bottom