• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RS 2.5s

rdp91356

Member
Hi -- I'm new here. I was wondering if someone could give me a fair estimation of value for my RS 2.5s. I've seen what some of the components go for on eBay, but have never seen a complete pair on sale anywhere.

I bought these new in 1981 and have re-foamed the woofers twice. EMIMs and EMITS are perfect. And then, a few years ago, I did what some may consider a crime. I separated the tweeters/mids section from the woofer cabinet and wall mounted the upper halves. It's a clean cut and they could be reattached. Thanks for your input.
 

Attachments

  • infinity_rs2_5.jpg
    infinity_rs2_5.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 53
  • infinity_rs2_5b.jpg
    infinity_rs2_5b.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 46
Register to hide this ad
Thanks bolly - I did it for looks, even though I felt a bit guilty about it. It sure didn't effect the sound quality!
 
one would expect them to sound less 3D now that the dipole effect has been nearly eliminated. but maybe you always had them close to the wall anyway, in which case your modification wouldn't sound much different.

as far as value, that's tough to say. i've seen them sell on eBay for as little as $250 fully function with somewhat beatup cabinets, but i don't know how easy it's going to be to reattach the top pieces. you'd probably get the most money from parting out, which you already know the approximate result of, but it's always a shame when that happens - keep these intact! (or, er, at least as intact as they are now ;) )
 
I would say, with the modded cabinets, they are probably worth the sum of the components to a buyer.
 
I think I'll hang onto 'em for awhile. They just sound too good. I don't know that they'll make it another 28 years, though.
 
Back
Top Bottom