• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RS6 and RSB

MrLegit

Active Member
Purchased a pair of RS6 in Oz and they seem to be the Rosewood colour,not like the ones that I have seen in the US which are Oak.When checking the Infinityclassics site I can only find RS6B schematics.Both the RS6 and RS6B have the same driver configuration,but speaker connections on RS6 speakers that I have seen in the US have Bannana Plug style connections and mine have the simple spring loaded type.Would anyone know if there is any crossover differences between the US versions and the ones I have bought.And most importantly is there a difference between the RS6 and RS6B electronically
I can work it out but someone here might save me time pulling drivers and crossovers out of mine and tracing the circuit out and comparing it the schematic at Infinity classics,which states its RS6B schematic.
Not familiar with these as I only dealt with the Kappa line up and above.
 
Register to hide this ad
Maybe this will help: http://elektrotanya.com/infinity_rs-6_b_100w_speaker_system_sm.pdf/download.html vs. http://elektrotanya.com/infinity_rs-6_kappa_150w_speaker_system_sm.pdf/download.html
All of the drivers have different part numbers and the crossovers are totally different.. They are completely different speakers, judging by the specs, I'd prefer the RS6, they're newer and go much lower; 37Hz vs. 45Hz.

Rosewood was an offered finish along with the much more common oak and walnut. I have a pair of QLS-1 in rosewood, they are beautiful!
 
So your RS6 are different than the ones shown in the link? Mysterious! Maybe some overseas variant? Cool, I never heard of that!

Do they have 10" woofers? Do the EMITs (tweeters) have "kappa" printed on them? Which mid dome do they have?
 
It's possible they are different.
Australian member E-man has a pair of Infinity RSM's that are mirror imaged (they also have a different cabinet structure as well as vinyl woodgrain instead of the oak veneer found here)...that seems to be an overseas thing.
 
The trouble with Infinity was that they often made subtle (or not so subtle) changes to their various speaker models, but were poor about documenting the changes. Especially as it pertained to crossover schematics. A speaker's internal crossover didn't always match the published schematic.

Of the changes to the various early 80's RS polydome models, the most obvious was with the RS5 morphing into the RS5B. The RS5 had dual 6.5" woofers in a tall bookshelf cabinet, that changed into a medium sized speaker with a single 10" woofer. In the other models, especially the III A/B, IV A/B, and the 6 - 6B, the changes were minimal, as the various drivers didn't change. Usually the changes were small, such as changing from binding posts to spring clips, removing an external fuse holder, or changing a driver's face plate lettering color, and the woofer dust caps having slightly different styles, warranted the different model designations.

The RS6, RS6B speakers seem to in this minimally changed grouping. From what I've read, even the people that have owned these speakers (me included) aren't sure what the changes were from 6 to 6B, other than what I've mentioned. So, I really don't 'think' that there are substantial differences between the 6 and 6B. Even the crossover schematic is the same for both. That's why the Tech Manual schematic is titled "RS6/B". It's the same schematic for both models. Even the RS-III schematic is listed as RS-IIIA/B, meaning that it's the same for both versions.

http://infinity-classics.de/models/Reference-series-1+b-2-10+A+B-1981-86/index-Reference.htm
 
Emits dont have kappa printed on them they have EMIT printed in red and so do the polydome mids.They have 8" drivers and sound fantastic for what they are!
They are not vinyl woodgrain,real veneer like the kappa range.Rosewood,alot darker than the standard oak.I have Kappa 6 and 8 that are in Rosewood and these RS6 match,along with the Delta/Gamma I have.Its strange that all these variants where available.I have to take the drivers and xovers out to get to the bottom of this delima.See if it matches the schematics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
They are like ones in the first link RS6/B,same driver configuration,but say on the back of the speaker on the crossover Infinity RS6,they have two adjustment pots with spring loaded speaker wire terminals.They are in Rosewood.So would there be any differences between the RS6 (not kappa)and the RS6B?
 
I have Oz purchased RS6/B also. In Oak veneer 8" Driver, 'polydome' in orange on the centre, 'Emit' in orange on the tweeter. 2 adjustment pots on the rear in vertical configuration, external rear horizontal housed fuse, binding posts.
The rear plate declares them as RS6 but I have known this pair of speakers for 33?yrs and they were always referred to by the original owner as RS6B.
 
My pots are in the horizontal side by side configuration,no external fuse and spring loaded speaker wire connectors.
 
Back
Top Bottom