• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infinity RSII/POLK SDA 2/PSB Image 6T/Oxiom M80

yzriver

New Member
I am looking for a pair of speakers that have better bass than my bookself speakers. I have an ADCOM GFA5300, and thinking get a more powerful one if speakers need. My room is about 19'x14'.
In local craiglist there are a few speakers catch my attention, such as Infinity RSII, POLK SDA 2, PSB Image 6T,Oxiom M80. All are claimed that have good bass. These Infinity and Polk are old high end speakers, with 10" woofer or radiator; while Axiom and PSB have just two 6.5" woofer. Do Axiom or PSB generate a deep bass as Infinity or Polk can? Other question how do you compare these recently good spearks to those old good speakers?

Thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Oh ****.

This has been the topic of many a heated debate. My experience would incline me to move you in the direction of the RSII's IF..

- they are in good to excellent condition with all original drivers working
- you have proper upstream electronics for them
- you have the proper room for them and a decent amount of latitude wrt placement/positioning options.

I've had M60ti's, Polk SDA-1c, currently have Infinity QLS-1's, RS-IIa (though not original) and a few other of their large to larger classics. Never heard the PSB 6T's.

And no speaker plays in my listening space without the aid of distributed bass.
 
Last edited:
If those Polk's are regular 2's and not A's...then I would pass on them for sure. I've never heard the Axiom's. So without hearing them, and knowing the others you are asking about, I would pick the Infinity's hands down. Best thing you could do is go have a listen to get an idea of what sounds best to you.
 
one more vote for the infinity rsII (if they have all their original drivers). hard to find an rsII owner who has anything bad to say about the sound. typically, owner's only part with them due to their size.


.
 
Another vote for the Infinity RSII.
A good old speaker better than the good old ESL 57, for example, IMO.
 
Last edited:
^^^

I dare you to start a thread making that claim. :yes:

Not that I disagree.....I've never even heard the 57's. But I doubt they cover the top and bottom like the Infinities can.
 
^^^

I dare you to start a thread making that claim. :yes:

Not that I disagree.....I've never even heard the 57's. But I doubt they cover the top and bottom like the Infinities can.

Someday, someday.
Nothing can match the midrange sound of an ESL, however a speaker such as the RSII with it's three dipole cone drivers can come fairly close with beautiful midrange.
Add to that articulated deeper bass, extended highs, frequency balanced from top to bottom in a tall well designed cabinet that's not low slung to the floor like the Quad 57, the RSII has a more expansive out of the box sound than the Quad 57.
I think it's a near perfect vintage dipole speaker.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom