• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Info needed on Onkyo m5160 for a Cerwin Vega D9

lordfoo

Active Member
Info needed on Onkyo m5160 for a Cerwin Vega D9. Also for the tuner on a pioneer sx 626.

I just acquired a pair of Cerwin Vega D9... This is a 4-way 15 inch subwoofer 90lb speaker.

I was wondering if an onkyo m5160 can handle this speaker ok. I will check out the onkyo this weekend. Its being peddled at about 90 USD. I still have to verify its condition.

I am also eyeing a pioneer SX636. Is its tuner a good one?
What I am intending to do is use the Tuner of the SX636 along with the onkyo m5160 power amp driving the D9s. This is for a medium sized room. About 12 feet by 25 feet. Marble flooring with sliding glass doors/panels on 1/3 of the long side. Can i use the sx receiver as a sort of pre amp?

thanks.
 
Register to hide this ad
Does that onkyo have a variable impedence selector?, or capable of driving low 4 ohm loads? if not I would not suggest that amp for for the D-9's, they'll make that amp run hot or possibly toast it, otherwise if its capable to run low impedence---those should sound pretty damn good on that amp---but if i remember correctly, that amp has discrete output stage so you should be good with that amp. the bird
 
D9's ( as with almost ALL Cerwin Veggies) are not a tough load to drive. They were designed to play loud and are the ultimate party speaker. Any receiver functioning properly will drive these to more than adequate volume levels.

Mike
 
Onkyo M-5160 was listed at the 1989 Stereo Review Buyers' guide at "$360 (suggested retail price), Delta power supply, 150wpc RMS and 4-way speaker selector."

it's not in the Integra range, could be the 8-16 ohms type, and looks like an inexpensive option considering Integra models, also in that year's catalog, are comparatively more expensive, e.g., Integra M-502 (140wpc) - $650; Integra M-510 (300wpc) - $4,500.
 
Hey sandawa, how are you?--yes that particular amp does have the low impedence drive, and plenty of power too, you should be fine with that amp--enjoys those D-9"s, I love those. the bird
 
I have both the M-5160 and the 105 wpc M-5140. These are pretty good amplifiers, sound good and should drive the D-9 very well. $90 is a score price for the M-5160!
 
Sigh... i missed out on the m5160 by a day. Now i am still looking for an amp to drive the cv d-9. What about a luxman m120a?
 
Back
Top Bottom