• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Infrared temperature testers?

Register to hide this ad
I bought one on clearance at radio shack for monitoring MOSFETs at high voltages. The human eye works pretty well for tubes - if plates and screen wires aren't glowing red then it's probably ok. :thmbsp: Those things work well for power resistors too, and any other things you shouldn't touch but want to to see how hot they are. :D
 
My guess is that they might be useful as a diagnostic tool. Not sure how much actual use they might get but for the $30 or so dollars you can get one for these days it might come in handy.

Lar
 
I have one -- they work like a hot damn (no pun intended :D ). Raytec seems to be the biggest one out there, unless they were bought out by someone else already. It's a handy tool to have around. :thmbsp:
 
I have a Radio Shack IR Thermometer, which is fairly accurate and has a documented range between 0°F to 400°F. But, I've measured down to -6°F, and as high as 418°F. The display reads in .5 increments. (e.g. 142.5, 70.0,etc)

It not for everyone, but works well to estimate surface temperatures.

I've used it for HVAC, window heat loss, water heater insulation lining leakage, heat gain through ceilings, measuring trannys and tubes, leather car seats, engine temps, coolant temps, oil temps, burner flame temps, A/C cooling temps (supply air), food temps, incoming water temps, hot water temps, boiling water temp, photographic lighting temps, human temps (in ear).

However, I believe it may be a discontinued item since it's no longer located on their website, and many stores are now sold out.

It sold for about $15 and the battery was another $5.

Highly affordable.

. . Falcon
 
Back
Top Bottom