• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Inherited a Gates CB100. What next? Restore or sell?

g0disev0l

New Member
My uncle was a radio engineer at several country AM stations in the Atlanta area during the 70s. He passed about 14 years ago. My aunt recently decided that I should have all of his old gear and among those pieces was a Gates CB100 transcription table.

So what next? Restore? Sell? It'll obviously need to be restored if I decide to keep it, but unfortunately I've turned up next to no information on this model. I see CB500s going for an obscene amount, but have no idea where to start if I decide to sell it. Any and all thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2176.JPG
    IMG_2176.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 105
Register to hide this ad
You have a unique heirloom that’s also a beautiful turntable….I’d certainly like to restore one myself.


VR
Andy
 
The heirloom idea is attractive, but do you use turntables? If you do, how critical are you - while I might want to keep the table, I'd ditch the arm, which, of course, is also part of the heirloomishness of the thing. And should you replace the missing bits - that switch in the front right corner sitting all alone surrounded by holes - what is it?
It is very possible to find yourself surrounded by sentimental objects that actually don't have any use, and are not actually substitutes for their previous owner. If you weren't delighted to receive this table, perhaps it would be a kindness to you and someone else to pass it on, whether as a sale or as a gift.
 
Have no clue what it’s worth and we aren’t allowed to put dollar figures on anything in this thread, but it’s a considerable amount and will only go up in value with time. Not an everyday find…

Given that it’s a 16” platter, that Shure tonearm is probably worth a considerable amount of money in and of itself, even the 9” versions of that tonearm are hard to find complete, and bring decent money. I’ve never seen a long version of that tonearm….

If one does a bit of research they’ll find photos of different CB 100s with a “switch plate” or something similar on the corner where yours has the switch. I’d not worry about it just make a small aluminum plate and install a pilot light there.


If you decide to pass it along, you’ll make someone’s day;)


VR
Andy
 
My opinion - if you and you aunt & uncle were close, keep it, fix or restore and use it. You’ll think of them whenever you play something. :)
We weren't/ Hadn't seen them in years before she asked me to come get this stuff because she knew I was an audio geek.
 
The heirloom idea is attractive, but do you use turntables? If you do, how critical are you - while I might want to keep the table, I'd ditch the arm, which, of course, is also part of the heirloomishness of the thing. And should you replace the missing bits - that switch in the front right corner sitting all alone surrounded by holes - what is it?
It is very possible to find yourself surrounded by sentimental objects that actually don't have any use, and are not actually substitutes for their previous owner. If you weren't delighted to receive this table, perhaps it would be a kindness to you and someone else to pass it on, whether as a sale or as a gift.
Yeah, TTs are all I use. Currently have about 8 and am hopefully about to acquire a Thorens TD160 next week.

I'm not usually one for sentiment. I like it purely based on what it is and how it was used, but I fear the restoration process would be timey and costly and ultimately wouldn't be worth it.

As for the switch, from what I see it looks like the original on/off seitch was damaged and they added that toggle to control it.
 
Have no clue what it’s worth and we aren’t allowed to put dollar figures on anything in this thread, but it’s a considerable amount and will only go up in value with time. Not an everyday find…

Given that it’s a 16” platter, that Shure tonearm is probably worth a considerable amount of money in and of itself, even the 9” versions of that tonearm are hard to find complete, and bring decent money. I’ve never seen a long version of that tonearm….

If one does a bit of research they’ll find photos of different CB 100s with a “switch plate” or something similar on the corner where yours has the switch. I’d not worry about it just make a small aluminum plate and install a pilot light there.


If you decide to pass it along, you’ll make someone’s day;)


VR
Andy

I can't say I'm too familiar with vintage Shure tonearms. I'll look into it and see what I can find out.
 
Do you have any other massive platter broadcast idlers?

If You like turntables enough to own 8 you owe it to yourself to see how one sounds.

This is quite an opportunity fallen in to your lap!
 
Yeah, TTs are all I use. Currently have about 8 and am hopefully about to acquire a Thorens TD160 next week.

I'm not usually one for sentiment. I like it purely based on what it is and how it was used, but I fear the restoration process would be timey and costly and ultimately wouldn't be worth it.

As for the switch, from what I see it looks like the original on/off seitch was damaged and they added that toggle to control it.

@Panamafred put it very well:thumbsup:

Not sure how you’re coming to the above conclusion, these old broadcast tables are very simple to work on, and easier/cheaper to refurbish than say a Thorens TD 124 (first hand experience).

Looks like it once had 3 tonearms mounted, including one where the replacement switch is at; that’s not unusual on these tables.

There’s really not much expense related to these here’s a list of things of things to do:

Have the idler refurbished or get a custom Delrin replacement made, $100 or less

New motor mounts if required <$75

New switch capacitor <$10

Clean the motor, uses the same “oil can” hysteresis motor as the big Rek O Kut’s and other broadcast tables

Clean and lube mechanism

Make a mat

The below recommendations are not required ;)

Polish platter

Might need a new ball bearing in the shat well, but not sure of the configuration, adding a Delrin pad underneath the shaft or something similar, will greatly reduce any rumble.

I’d paint the top plate, but that’s not required….Might even have it powder coated, and if you’re unhappy with the other tonearm mounting holes, get them filled, an hour or two at a good welding shop.

That thing has 1” Oilite bushing in the shaft well, they probably won’t need changing

Now it’s ready for another 50 years of service, and worth even more money, then you can compare it to your other tables and if you decide to sell you’ll not lose anything in the process :cool:

If you do decide to sell, drop me a pm….

VR
Andy
 
Back
Top Bottom