• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Installed Squeezelite for Raspberry Pi

ldatlof

We are all steak
I just installed Squeezelite (a headless player emulating squeezeplay) on my Raspberry Pi. The main advantage over of squeezelite over squeezeslave is that it will play hi-rez files. Squeezeslave is limited to 16/44.1.

So far I have not heard any problems. Installation is pretty straight forward. I followed these directions http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25778

It is a wireless setup. I am using the audio out into the tape in on an old HT receiver. It can be controlled from any computer on the network, along with the squeezebox controller, android phone and android tablet. For what the system is, the sound is more than acceptable.

My middle 12 year old is very happy to have access to my entire music library. :banana: :music:
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Very cool. Thanks for the update. Have you tried the Pi with your HRT II yet? If so, to what results?
 
Not yet. I use a laptop running MPD and the RPi is in my son's room. When I have time this weekend I will try it with the HRT MSII and report back.
 
I having been fiddling with some pis lately.

I have used one pi running Twonky to a Linn Accurate DS and controlled with Kinsky...works fine.

I have another pi running both Logitech Media Server and Squeezelite as a standalone player.

Then a third pi wireless running Squeezelite in the garage.

All of them work great. I notice they seem to run LMS slower than my sheeva squeezeplugs, but not slow enough to complain. Twonky seems to respond much faster than LMS and it takes less than 25% of the time that LMS does for a database refresh.

Fun stuff.
 
Cool .. yeah I just got my second Pi ... my first one is doing LMS (on hardfloat raspbian) and it works quite well ... though there is a small memory leak that requires a LMS restart about every 2 weeks. My second is doing XBMC duties, but I think I'm going try out squeezelite to see if I can reduce my clutter in my upstairs listening area.
 
Very cool. Thanks for the update. Have you tried the Pi with your HRT II yet? If so, to what results?
I tried squeezelite with the HRT MSII and the results are far from satisfactory. Basically what ever I tried, the HRT MSII would make crackling noises that made it unlistenable. The 44.1 light would be on and the mute light would flicker at the same time. The crackling noise seems to be a problem for others too from what I was able to google up on the subject.
 
I tried squeezelite with the HRT MSII and the results are far from satisfactory. Basically what ever I tried, the HRT MSII would make crackling noises that made it unlistenable. The 44.1 light would be on and the mute light would flicker at the same time. The crackling noise seems to be a problem for others too from what I was able to google up on the subject.

Did you try using a powered usb hub?
 
I just installed Squeezelite to my RPi last night, works great. I fed the signal to a cheap USB/SPDIF converter, then to my Benchmark DAC1. Works beautifully. This will be my "Squeezebox" for my garage system Im planning on implementing once the weather breaks.
 
Just ordered this DAC, the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB. I will be using it in conjunction with the RPi, feeding my Kegger-built SE EL84 amp, powering a pair of Klipsch RB-35 bookshelf speakers. Should make for a nice system :yes:
 
Just ordered this DAC, the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB. I will be using it in conjunction with the RPi, feeding my Kegger-built SE EL84 amp, powering a pair of Klipsch RB-35 bookshelf speakers. Should make for a nice system :yes:

cool little dac ... and it is a usb to coax adapter which could come in handy. Let us know how you like it.
 
Back
Top Bottom