• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Interesting Arrangement on Axiom Foam Surround

544man

Active Member
I am preparing to refoam the woofers on a pair of Canadian Axiom bookshelf speakers. They are 8", and appear to be API type that you would find in Energy, Mirage, Sound Dynamics, etc. Their is no model # on the speakers, just a serial number. I am contacting Axiom to see if they can identify these speakers. They do have SEAS tweeters. I believe they are very early Axiom issue.

The strange thing about the surrounds is that they are glued to the top of the thick gasket, not under as you normally see. Has anyone else encountered this arrangement in their experiences? It appears to be original.

Can anyone tutor me on how to upload my pics? Thanks. Cheers!
 
Register to hide this ad
Tap upload a file at the bottom of comment or in the post menu. Upload the picture and then tap Insert as thumbnail or as full picture. Then save your comment/post.
 
I am preparing to refoam the woofers on a pair of Canadian Axiom bookshelf speakers. They are 8", and appear to be API type that you would find in Energy, Mirage, Sound Dynamics, etc. Their is no model # on the speakers, just a serial number. I am contacting Axiom to see if they can identify these speakers. They do have SEAS tweeters. I believe they are very early Axiom issue.

The strange thing about the surrounds is that they are glued to the top of the thick gasket, not under as you normally see. Has anyone else encountered this arrangement in their experiences? It appears to be original.

Can anyone tutor me on how to upload my pics? Thanks. Cheers!
Tap upload a file at the bottom of comment or in the post menu. Upload the picture and then tap Insert as thumbnail or as full picture. Then save your comment/post.
Thank you so much!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8532.JPG
    IMG_8532.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8533.JPG
    IMG_8533.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_8534.JPG
    IMG_8534.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_8535.JPG
    IMG_8535.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 21
FWIW, I got an answer on the strange arrangement of the surround attached to the top of the thick gasket, and the answer came straight from Axiom, in Dwight, ON, Canada. Ian said: 'That was how it was originally manufactured. Keeping the surround on plane with the front baffle eliminates possible off-axis diffraction.' So I have my solution now and will re-foam as per the original.
Axiom is a great Canadian speaker factory and makes fabulous product. The early ones might have been labelled Nightingale, and they also made Merak speakers. Good to deal with. I appreciated their help on my own woofer issues.
 
The earlier EPI had their rubber surrounds glued to gasket and not basket

Surprised me, too!
Thought it was a bad reglue, at first
 
The earlier EPI had their rubber surrounds glued to gasket and not basket

Surprised me, too!
Thought it was a bad reglue, at first
It had me going for sure. The reason I kept digging was because it looked too well executed to be a job done out of laziness. I'm glad I persisted. These are going to be nice speakers, early Axiom AX-2 (they helped me ID the speakers as well!) with SEAS tweeters. Can't wait to audition them.
 
It had me going for sure. The reason I kept digging was because it looked too well executed to be a job done out of laziness. I'm glad I persisted. These are going to be nice speakers, early Axiom AX-2 (they helped me ID the speakers as well!) with SEAS tweeters. Can't wait to audition them.
And thanks so much for the info on the EPI speakers!
 
Back
Top Bottom